Bruce has asked for weekend to consider

Here’s a perfectly plausible description of where we are:

NUFC offer job to big Sam who declines.

NUFC ask for permission to talk to SB, SWFC agree.

NUFC contact SB. Would he be interested in talking about the job.. SB says yes he’d be happy to talk. Top level terms are discussed.  NUFC say ok we’ll talk to SWFC about compo and assuming we can agree something we’ll come back to you and talk turkey about contract, budget etc.

NUFC contact SWFC again to talk about possible compensation. SWFC hit them with big compo bill. NUFC baulk but continue to negotiate and manage to agree something with SWFC.

NUFC contact SB and offer terms.

SB has to make a decision....does he stay or does he go....

I know we’re all keen to jump to conclusions And demonise people but at the end of the day players and managers are part of an industry. As fans we feel passion, loyalty, ownership and strong ties to the club but to them it’s a job, just like ours are. Some of us move about and are always looking for the next step. Some of us stay at the same place for years. Most of these guys are towards the top of their profession, they're In demand and they know it. They will do what they think is right for them.

I like SB, I think he could be a success here but if he feels he want’s away then provided we can get decent compo and get a good replacement then so be it. I personally think NUFC is a basket case at the moment and he’s bonkers to want to go there but I’m not SB.

8 hours ago, jamthesun said:

Here’s a perfectly plausible description of where we are:

NUFC offer job to big Sam who declines.

NUFC ask for permission to talk to SB, SWFC agree.

NUFC contact SB. Would he be interested in talking about the job.. SB says yes he’d be happy to talk. Top level terms are discussed.  NUFC say ok we’ll talk to SWFC about compo and assuming we can agree something we’ll come back to you and talk turkey about contract, budget etc.

NUFC contact SWFC again to talk about possible compensation. SWFC hit them with big compo bill. NUFC baulk but continue to negotiate and manage to agree something with SWFC.

NUFC contact SB and offer terms.

SB has to make a decision....does he stay or does he go....

I know we’re all keen to jump to conclusions And demonise people but at the end of the day players and managers are part of an industry. As fans we feel passion, loyalty, ownership and strong ties to the club but to them it’s a job, just like ours are. Some of us move about and are always looking for the next step. Some of us stay at the same place for years. Most of these guys are towards the top of their profession, they're In demand and they know it. They will do what they think is right for them.

I like SB, I think he could be a success here but if he feels he want’s away then provided we can get decent compo and get a good replacement then so be it. I personally think NUFC is a basket case at the moment and he’s bonkers to want to go there but I’m not SB.

Totally plausible situation but some on here know everything. Wait and see what occurs. 

15 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I’m still failing to see how a move to Newcastle under Ashley is a better option than taking us up to the Premiership.

Dunno, perhaps I’m a bit biased?

:Sid:

I agree , I am also amazed if true that DC gave him permission to talk to them .

Bruce could be a legend here , on the other hand he could be out of a job after 10 games or when /if the take-over happens 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

I agree , I am also amazed if true that DC gave him permission to talk to them .

Bruce could be a legend here , on the other hand he could be out of a job after 10 games or when /if the take-over happens 

This is something I also can't get my head round.

WHY would DC Give him permission to talk to them, have they fallen out? I can see no reason to do such a thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

I’m starting to wonder if Bruce talked the truth i.e. really hadn’t given it much thought / had only just come back from walking the dog.

Surely, when he spends all this weekend thinking about the situation properly, he realises that S6 makes far more sense than going through all the pain that will come from a bad decision to join Newcastle, a very unstable club at the moment.

He really needs to park that ambition to manage his boyhood club until that club is stable enough to deliver a realistic chance of some degree of success?

Edited by theowlsman

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

I’m starting to wonder if Bruce talked the truth i.e. really hadn’t given it much thought / had only just come back from walking the dog.

Surely, when he spends all this weekend thinking about the situation properly, he realises that S6 makes far more sense than going through all the pain that will come from a bad decision to join Newcastle, a very unstable club at the moment.

He really needs to park that ambition to manage his boyhood club until that club us stable enough to deliver a realistic chance of some degree of success?

He needs to wake up and smell the coffee 

He knows that under any other normal circumstances that a premiership Newcastle recruitment list he would not be on the first page .

The geordie fans now are so deluded they think they should be top six every season 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

He knows that under any other normal circumstances that a premiership Newcastle recruitment list he would not be on the first page .

The geordie fans now are so deluded they think they should be top six every season 

They have the very real potential to achieve that.  

3 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

And that’s deffo an unrealistic expectation. In two seasons’ time, they’ll be lucky to finish just below us as we qualify for Europe.

:Sid:

Edited by theowlsman

9 hours ago, Skyline said:

Meh.

The other day I was hoping he'd stay.

Today I'm hoping we get a decent amount of compo and get him out of here.

If you aint comitted as a manager, you shouldn't be there.

This wasn't response when Big Ron said he would be mad to leave us for Villa, all fans were celebrating that he decided to stop.

Week later he had changed his mind and went to Villa. 

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

They have the very real potential to achieve that.  

If they replace Ashley and recruit a top manager with obscene funds ,then I agree .

So where does Bruce fit into that scenario ?

Just now, hugeowl said:

If they replace Ashley and recruit a top manager with obscene funds ,then I agree .

So where does Bruce fit into that scenario ?

Yes Ashley is the elephant in the room, and without him then it wouldn't surprise me if Bruce  could achieve a fair level of success with them. 

IF he had the fans backing, if Bruce does take on the job I think he his seriously underestimating the negative effect the  fans can have on the club, players and more importantly himself.

A lions den, if it's truly his desire to manage his boyhood club I can understand him wanting to take on the job but in this case he really needs to listen his head rather than his heart.

If he's going for the dosh then its game over and we can't compete.