We're going to struggle to keep hold of Westwood & Hooper

3 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Are all the players who are out of contract in the summer free to speak to other clubs now? Or do they have to wait until their contract expires in June?

I thought they were free to talk to other clubs from January onwards, or is that only if the player or the club has indicated they won't be renewing the contract.

14 minutes ago, poite said:

I know this is against the current trend but I cant believe so many are saying we need to re-sign Hooper. I have no doubt as to how good he is but FFS he's only about another 4-5 games away from another 4 month injury. We need consistency and we cant get it with players like Hooper I'm afraid.

With the current FFP issues how we can afford to gamble on him is unknown to me.

I agree, I must admit after his return I got caught up & called for him to be signed up but on reflection I believe the role he plays in the team hinders our progression. Different level I know but he’s like an aging Rooney, you appreciate the quality but at some point the penny drops that to keep him in means you can’t go with the pacy front 3 the team needs to be successful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Yes that’s what I thought aswell. I don’t like to say it but if you were Westwood or Hooper’s agent you’d probably be already negotiating deals/signing on fees with other clubs

Maybe but in Hooper's case what sort of contract is he going to get offered given his fitness & availability issues.  I can't see any Championship club offering him what he's currently on.  Perhaps there's some mileage in the Hooper to MLS rumours.

Guest mkowl
1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

where did I say it was?

I just pointed out the agents are reporting to the media to report there is  a lot of interest in Hooper

Probably nearer the truth 

Guest LondonOwl313

Westwood will stay as long as we’re able to offer similar terms to what he’s on now... hardly deserves a pay cut does he.

Prem teams won’t take him as first choice given his age and the trend towards keepers that pass out from the back. They might take him as back up but I think he’d rather stay here and play than sit on someone’s bench for the same money.

Also wouldn’t go to another championship club for football reasons you wouldn’t have thought.

All comes down to whether we can offer him the same as he’s on now (£20kish a week?). I might be wrong here but I’m pretty sure that FFP isn’t designed to punish clubs into releasing their best assets for free... that definitely wouldn’t help our financial position. 

We’re losing £20m a year and we’re only allowed to lose £13m. Basically the budget needs to be cut by £10m or so per season... that’s £200k per week in wages, or £10m in transfer fees or some combination of the two. We must have averaged spending £10m a season on fees in Chansiri’s first 3 years... and you’d think releasing Abdi, Boyd, Jones etc will save well over £100k a week. Personally think we’ll be able to make competitive offers to Westwood, Hooper, Palmer etc but just won’t be in a position to be offering big fees for players 

16 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Maybe but in Hooper's case what sort of contract is he going to get offered given his fitness & availability issues.  I can't see any Championship club offering him what he's currently on.  Perhaps there's some mileage in the Hooper to MLS rumours.

Doesn’t sound like we’ll be able to offer him what he’s currently on either though.

He’s still quite a big name for championship football (and still a class player and proven goalscorer at this level). So even with the fitness risk I think there’d be a few clubs who’d sign Gary Hooper on a free.

29 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Westwood will stay as long as we’re able to offer similar terms to what he’s on now... hardly deserves a pay cut does he.

Prem teams won’t take him as first choice given his age and the trend towards keepers that pass out from the back. They might take him as back up but I think he’d rather stay here and play than sit on someone’s bench for the same money.

Also wouldn’t go to another championship club for football reasons you wouldn’t have thought.

All comes down to whether we can offer him the same as he’s on now (£20kish a week?). I might be wrong here but I’m pretty sure that FFP isn’t designed to punish clubs into releasing their best assets for free... that definitely wouldn’t help our financial position. 

We’re losing £20m a year and we’re only allowed to lose £13m. Basically the budget needs to be cut by £10m or so per season... that’s £200k per week in wages, or £10m in transfer fees or some combination of the two. We must have averaged spending £10m a season on fees in Chansiri’s first 3 years... and you’d think releasing Abdi, Boyd, Jones etc will save well over £100k a week. Personally think we’ll be able to make competitive offers to Westwood, Hooper, Palmer etc but just won’t be in a position to be offering big fees for players 

To save £200k per week in wages isn't many players so we might be ok. 

Abdi

Hooper

Matias

Jones 

Boyd

Should be more than £200k per week. 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Abdi

Hooper

Matias

Jones 

Boyd

If you believe the numbers that have been quoted, those 5 alone would be about £130k a week or £6.5m a year. Then you add on the transfer fees that are being amortised... 

Abdi £4m over 3 years 

Hooper £3m over 4 years

Jones £2m over 3 years

Matias £2m over 4 years

Probably about £3m a year. So releasing all of those would see the accounts improve by about £10m in total on a forward looking basis. It’s just whether the EFL choose to punish over the last few years exceeding the loss threshold... so far they haven’t, and I think that’s because we’re showing a plan to get back within the allowable losses medium term, whereas Birmingham didn’t 

7 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Abdi

Hooper

Matias

Jones 

Boyd

That’s an average of £40k per week per player, which clearly won’t be the case. I’d suggest the total weekly wage bill for all those is around half what you have quoted. At a push c£130k per week. 

2 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Huddersfield prepared to break the bank for Westwood, can we do that?

also just seen this on Hooper, which would be a massive shame if we have stuck by him through this 15 month lay-off

HOOPER IN DEMAND

Sky sources: Sheffield Wednesday striker Gary Hooper is the subject of interest from three unnamed English clubs as well as New York City FC and DC United from the MLS and Turkish clubs Trabzonspor and Bursaspor.

Hooper is out of contract at Hillsborough in the summer and has not yet been offered a new deal.

For me I am not fighting to keep Hooper on a reported £35,000 a week and has not been available for over half the games since we have had him.

match fit and playing well is a great player but for what we have wasted on him while he has been injured we could pick up a player such as Abrahams, Gayle or similar on loan, who would get 20 goals a season and fire us to the top 6.

If Hooper wants to prove his fitness and win a reduce terms contract based heavily on appearance then give him a chance if he is chasing the money -  for me he can leave.

Westwood on the other hand has shown since he has been back in the team how important he is and how much better the team is with him in it. For me a 2 year deal for still the best keeper in the league. My only worry about him is he seem to concede too many goals low to his right but 9 clean sheets in 13 is a great return.

I heard Hector talking about him this morning he is a great keeper but is also a pain in the ar$e for the defenders, which means he talks back their and organises the back line something we don't have when he doesn't play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really? I thought a soft embargo was just in signing new players not renewing existing ones

Apparently, if in a soft embargo, we can re-sign players close to contract ending. But on a maximum of 16k per week. And that's got other stipulations also. Westwood and Hooper would want more than that. Not fussed about the rest

3 hours ago, Beholder said:

That leaves Keiran Lee. Gotta keep that lad. Give him a year contract with option

Sorry but that would be madness, the guy has had a very serious hip problem, he's on big wages, and he hasn't played for god knows how long, he will likely never be the player we all remember. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're blinded by sentiment. 

24 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Sorry but that would be madness, the guy has had a very serious hip problem, he's on big wages, and he hasn't played for god knows how long, he will likely never be the player we all remember. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're blinded by sentiment. 

Not on big wages.

It's a pragmatic decision not a sentimental one.

Edited by Beholder