We're going to struggle to keep hold of Westwood & Hooper

22 hours ago, Beholder said:

We can't fend off competition from parachute big hitters. It would be foolish to do so. Westwood will just go to the highest bidder.

Much as he is a brilliant keeper, I'm resigned to losing him.

I'd also love to see Hooper stay but if he can get a 2 or three year high wage deal in America,  he's probably gone.

That leaves Keiran Lee. Gotta keep that lad. Give him a year contract with option. 

It would have to be a vastly reduced wage, just through pre-season. If he gets through unscathed, offer the year on vastly reduced wage. 

As far as I'm concerned, we have to let go of the past and push on to the new. If the Leeds game showed us anything, it's that we're relying on a lot of players in the twilight of their careers that are just not going to compete with the fittest and strongest! It also showed Westwood is brilliant and we could do with him for another couple of years.

Of the out of contract players, I would say Westwood and Palmer should be offered new deals.

Westwood has showed us what a difference he makes, hopefully he’d take a two year deal.

Palmer has stepped it up this season and has earned a new deal - maybe not as expensive as other out of contract players.

We simply can’t afford Hooper and Lee now - they are too injury prone and on big money.

Assuming that we can, I expect Bruce to wheel and deal extensively over the summer and us to have a very different, younger line up next season.  I expect a good few loans too.

• Like 2

Some people are saying Westwood would have to accept a reduced wage , but just think how much it would cost to replace him with another keeper of the same quality. We couldn't afford to do that. It's vital we keep Westwood,  and should not insult him with a reduced wage offer. the lad is pure class.

• Thanks 1

It wasn’t that long ago, when I, and others, were saying that the leaving out of Westwood from our team, when he was clearly class, and our best keeper, was quite frankly ridiculous yet were told to shut up and that Dawson was the answer.

What abuse we got.

• Thanks 1

Guest Maxine
4 hours ago, theowlsman said:

It wasn’t that long ago, when I, and others, were saying that the leaving out of Westwood from our team, when he was clearly class, and our best keeper, was quite frankly ridiculous yet were told to shut up and that Dawson was the answer.

What abuse we got.

Me too I got some right abuse.

I think westwood will stay. Its going to be a good season with Bruce in charge he will sort the good from the bad. 

7 hours ago, briggowl said:

As far as I'm concerned, we have to let go of the past and push on to the new. If the Leeds game showed us anything, it's that we're relying on a lot of players in the twilight of their careers that are just not going to compete with the fittest and strongest! It also showed Westwood is brilliant and we could do with him for another couple of years.

I think Bruce will have learned a lot from Leeds, the way forward is an energetic team, closing down the opposition and winning the ball high up the field

Older players can't play that way

38 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I’m beginning to get a little concerned about people’s expectations for next season.

If we end up with an embargo then Bruce may  be powerless to re-shape our ridiculously unbalanced squad.

I am not sure that he would have taken the job unless he had a plan. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would be so desperate for a position, he would have taken it on with known constraints. I am not going overboard with my expectations but I do expect to see a completely different approach and a younger, more mobile team next season.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2019 at 12:10, Lord Snooty said:

Of course what always has to be factored into the equation is whether the players actually WANT to stay.

We're all Wednesday fans. Players are workers.

If you're 30 odd and someone offers you one last big signing on fee pay day (equivalant of a saved transfer fee for buying club), would you be able to turn it down?

That's it exactly.  Players aren't fans and, even though they might say so, they have no loyalty at all to the club or the fans.  Proximity to home, schools, enjoyment of the area, loyalty to a manager or a club who have stood by them in dark times account for 0.0005 % of their decision. The rest is based on their wages and benefits.

23 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I think Bruce will have learned a lot from Leeds, the way forward is an energetic team, closing down the opposition and winning the ball high up the field

Older players can't play that way

Pains me to say it but United are a better example. They have players who are journeymen who have not excelled anywhere else but they believe in themselves and press from the start. It's a version of what I've always said (and occasionally been called a dinosaur for it). It's a simple game, play to win with superfit players who know their job, in simple terms, have a go, that's all fans ask.

Money and agents rule modern football. Players will travel all over the world to enhance their income. However, football is a short career and Westwood will be  35 next season and his best years will soon be behind him so the chances are he is looking for one major pay day. Being out of contract will help his agent to negotiate Westwood a decent contract but will that be at S6? I have no idea. As for Hooper, personally I would let him go. To get out of this division we need players who can give us 40 games a season...

7 hours ago, fife_owl said:

Of the out of contract players, I would say Westwood and Palmer should be offered new deals.

Westwood has showed us what a difference he makes, hopefully he’d take a two year deal.

Palmer has stepped it up this season and has earned a new deal - maybe not as expensive as other out of contract players.

We simply can’t afford Hooper and Lee now - they are too injury prone and on big money.

Assuming that we can, I expect Bruce to wheel and deal extensively over the summer and us to have a very different, younger line up next season.  I expect a good few loans too.

This. And possibly a 1 year deal for Matias as he is a good squad player that can play more than one position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Pains me to say it but United are a better example. They have players who are journeymen who have not excelled anywhere else but they believe in themselves and press from the start. It's a version of what I've always said (and occasionally been called a dinosaur for it). It's a simple game, play to win with superfit players who know their job, in simple terms, have a go, that's all fans ask.

You aren't Howard Wilkinson are you.... same theory

7 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

I am not sure that he would have taken the job unless he had a plan. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would be so desperate for a position, he would have taken it on with known constraints. I am not going overboard with my expectations but I do expect to see a completely different approach and a younger, more mobile team next season.

yes that's for sure, we will probably get in athletic wingers which may help the returning Rhodes for example and certainly a big box to box midfielder as a minimum.  However I do think we will continue to play defensively especially away from home.  There has been nothing to suggest we will play open, expansive football next year.  The key will be how good our back 5 are and if we can produce a 20 goal a season striker

• Like 1

Could Bruce get Rhodes to work, so we could let Hooper, Nuhiu and Winnall all go?

Keep the trio of Fletcher, Joao and Rhodes? Alternatively swap Joao and Winnall places?

Must keep Westwood, Bannan and Reach. Make Hector and Aarons stay, glad we've got Iorfa. Let Fox, Jones, Abdi and Boyd go too. We need to clear out big earners doing nothing for us.