We're going to struggle to keep hold of Westwood & Hooper

Guest Ash76
31 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really? I thought a soft embargo was just in signing new players not renewing existing ones.

It is but we have to wait for contracts to be close to expiring I believe, not sure of the exact timescales 

24 minutes ago, mogbad said:

As far as I'm aware if we're under a soft embargo then we can resign players who's contracts expire as long as we don't pay them more than their current contract.

We can actually offer them more if we wanted

2 minutes ago, striker said:

If we are embargoed again, may as well give up. It's hard enough to compete as it is without being prevented to retain, recruit employees.

That said, I do not believe Bruce would consider taking the job if an embargo was likely.

It depends on what exactly Bruce was told. Catch my drift.WTF:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, marshy said:

It depends on what exactly Bruce was told. Catch my drift.WTF:

I do, but I think he's been round the block enough to sniff out BS. I dont think he'll have the blank cheque book he had at Vill in his first season, but he'll be backed enough to rebuild.

3 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Are all the players who are out of contract in the summer free to speak to other clubs now? Or do they have to wait until their contract expires in June?

I thought they were free to talk to other clubs from January onwards, or is that only if the player or the club has indicated they won't be renewing the contract.

Just now, mogbad said:

I thought they were free to talk to other clubs from January onwards, or is that only if the player or the club has indicated they won't be renewing the contract.

Yes that’s what I thought aswell. I don’t like to say it but if you were Westwood or Hooper’s agent you’d probably be already negotiating deals/signing on fees with other clubs

Of course what always has to be factored into the equation is whether the players actually WANT to stay.

We're all Wednesday fans. Players are workers.

If you're 30 odd and someone offers you one last big signing on fee pay day (equivalant of a saved transfer fee for buying club), would you be able to turn it down?

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

Westwood has to be no1 priority but I'd also like to see us keep Hooper, I think he'll get a better/longer deal elsewhere though

Hooper will go where the cash is. Turkey sounds perfect, the final resting home for aging injury prone strikers.

Guest Bulgaria
45 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

If we're allowed to renew then there's no way Westwood would leave for Huddersfield.

If they offered more Dosh, he will be gone in a heartbeat.

There are plenty of reasons for Westwood to be pissed off with Wednesday but it is Bruce who now holds the key.

But regardless of all that a decent monetary offer from elsewhere may override other considerations.

• Like 1

I know this is against the current trend but I cant believe so many are saying we need to re-sign Hooper. I have no doubt as to how good he is but FFS he's only about another 4-5 games away from another 4 month injury. We need consistency and we cant get it with players like Hooper I'm afraid.

With the current FFP issues how we can afford to gamble on him is unknown to me.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Not fussed about Hooper, but the best keepers in the division are gold.

Still waiting for dopey Jos to apologise for calling him the third best at the club.

So many people on here agreed with him as well saying that Westwood was poor last season.

Who's to say that any of the players out of contract will move just for the money (although I would never begrudge any player who did). If they are happy here and playing and if offered a contract, doesn't necessarily mean the will go elsewhere just for the money, nor does it mean they will not stay and accept lower wages. 

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really? I thought a soft embargo was just in signing new players not renewing existing ones.

The Liverpool University FFP expert on Football Heaven the other week said we are currently under a soft embargo but we can renew existing players’ contracts and, under certain conditions, sign new players, with one of the conditions being that any signed player can’t earn above a certain amount (I think it was £16k per week). 

I think Westwood will stay, if he does go I doubt it will be to a tin pot outfit like Huddersfield.

Hooper would be worth a short deal but theres rumours he's off to the MLS retirement home.

Winnall doesn't appear to be in SB's plans so could go. FF can also go for me.