Matt Penney

8 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I think there’s something there to work with... and with a few players leaving, we could do with seeing if we can get him to the required level. 

Under a manager of Bruce`s calibre he could make a top notch left back .

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the big question Probably no worse than Lazaar when it comes to defending, but like Lazaar, his strength is going forward Think he does have a future at left back, if he can get his positioning sorted out

Why do you perceive Lazaar to be bad at defending? I’ve only seen him for the one and a half games he’s played for us, but his positioning, anticipation, pace and tackling all seemed top notch. He seemed to come away with the ball every time he had a 50/50 or even in cases you’d have expected him not to get the ball. Was good going forward too. Massive step up on anything else we have at the club, it’s just whether he has fitness issues or not

Guest Ash76

He could go on to be a very good player but currently he's not mature enough, physically and mentally, to play at LB. 

His performances have come higher up the pitch

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well it doesn't. He'd got a Czech International in front of him when he signed his first pro deal. 

Players don't all 'click' at the same age. Ian Wright didn't play a league game till he was 22. 

That lad Eyres was 25 before playing 500 odd games for Preston and Burnley.  

I'm not saying he will make it....the futures not set.

But writing lads off at 21 seems a bit premature to me.

The fact you have to mention Ian Wright as an example says it all

45 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Jamie Vardy

Britt Assombalonga

Andre Gray

Just 3 off top of my head who all started late.

Vardy I give you, but that’s an amazing story which is unlikely to be repeated. 

Assombalonga - don’t know why you mention him. He was at Watford most of his early pro years

Gray - was banging in 20 goals a season for Luton as a 21 year old. Penney has barely played any football outside of U23s

I think in this day and age, not too many players are holding down a regular place at that age It’s a results business, especially with the clamour to get to the Premier League, so it’s not easy to develop your own players Not many sides at this level are able to do it

He is still recovering from his arm injury, I trust he will be ready for more season. I have followed his progress closely over the past two to three years, and have posted often how good I think he is.

For me, he is a natural left back, with a wand of a left foot who has an eye for goal. In a position which we have struggled to fill adequately over the past few seasons, if fit, I do not think we have anyone better. 

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

I think Penney’s future is in midfield as an outside left or outside right. He’s certainly creative enough to play further forward. I don’t think he has the defensive discipline to be a fullback - he likes a trick and you can’t carry out tricks when there’s only the centre-half and the keeper between you and the goal. 

I reckon he’d find the left back role easier than left midfield. I appreciate your comment about using risky tricks, but in all honesty he’d only screw up once or twice before wising up.  Personally I quite like having full backs who’ve got that bit of X factor going forwards and I reckon it’s something we’ve been crying out for for ages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why do you perceive Lazaar to be bad at defending? I’ve only seen him for the one and a half games he’s played for us, but his positioning, anticipation, pace and tackling all seemed top notch. He seemed to come away with the ball every time he had a 50/50 or even in cases you’d have expected him not to get the ball. Was good going forward too. Massive step up on anything else we have at the club, it’s just whether he has fitness issues or not

that game lazaar played on his debut was everything you'd want from a wing back and certainly nothing wrong on the defensive side of his  game …..he looked the real deal to me .

Edited by torryowl

Penny’s a real talent I can’t wait to see how Bruce uses him I still think another left player needs to be recruited.

aarons and Lazaar would be perfect all in and fit for pre-season  and I’d be happy with that side 

I’m ok with Palmer iorfa and reach on the right 

maybe one more winger to give something on the bench and depth for the guaranteed injuries

a nice powerful box to box midfielder and hector 

and we are in playoffs 

question is can we get them? 

A lighting quick centre forward will be a stretch too far I think we will have to go with what we have there unless a master stroke can be pulled off 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We played 3 at the back that game and Penney played wing back and played well.

The problem is can he play in a back four at this level and if not what is his position.

We switched several times to 442 with Hector going into midfield but we did start with 3 at back, that Villa game was Peeneys best game for us, he was one of best players on the pitch

People need to consider our overall situation before writing off players like Penney.

Our days of carrying 2 first team calibre/ready players for every position are over. Penney is young, versatile and naturally left footed - which makes him worth sticking with. We're probably going to need players like Penney, who we know can come in, give their all and do a job in rounding out a full Championship squad, while we spend any little money we do have on areas of greater importance than left back.

Can see him becoming similar to Palmer's role for us. Maligned and written off by plenty, but a useful and committed player who might grind himself out a bigger role if he gets the chances to develop and learn.

On 14/04/2019 at 19:13, gurujuan said:

I think in this day and age, not too many players are holding down a regular place at that age It’s a results business, especially with the clamour to get to the Premier League, so it’s not easy to develop your own players Not many sides at this level are able to do it

There certainly doesn't seem to be many coming through from our youth set up.

Thorniley looks a proper defender. The two keepers have both shown promise but lack consistency. We hear about others but rarely see them. Bruce doesn't seem keen to get them in yet, although this could change when the play offs become a mathematical impossibility. Next year he might have to, but I still think he'd prefer to bring players in.