Matt Penney

Penney's best performance of the season was under Bruce's nose at Villa Park.

I like him, but Jos got carried away and started playing him here there and everywhere. Bruce will bring him on and I think he'll be back up left back next season ahead of Fox, who may be moved on.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2019 at 15:41, McRightSide said:

The fact he’s 21 and played so little football tells you about his potential to perform at this level.

Jamie Vardy was 25 when he signed for Leicester and didn’t exactly hit the ground running in his first season! Players develop at different ages so I wouldn’t write him off just yet. With Bruce in charge he might find his best position and bring out some of the potential of the lad

53 minutes ago, beechy85 said:

Jamie Vardy was 25 when he signed for Leicester and didn’t exactly hit the ground running in his first season! Players develop at different ages so I wouldn’t write him off just yet. With Bruce in charge he might find his best position and bring out some of the potential of the lad

And Andre Gray was released by then League Two Shrewsbury and had to drop down to Conference level before he started to make name for himself.

I highly doubt we'll be moving Penney on this summer given he only signed a new contract a few months ago, although should we bring in another left back (which irrespective of finances I'm sure Bruce will recognize as being a fairly high priority), I reckon Penney's opportunities to develop next season may very well be limited - and one way or another he needs a full season of playing competitive first team level football next season.

We loaned Palmer out to Tranmere for the season when at a similar age to what Penney is now, so I think trying to find a League Two club for him next season would be ideal. League One would be even better, but wherever he goes he needs to be playing.

I thought he showed a lot of potential, but then his confidence slipped when Jos started playing him out of position.

I remember Jos saying he’d protect the youngsters by not playing them in 2 consecutive games but that policy seemed to go out of the window.

I think we’ll see a much improved Penney under Bruce. I think it’s also worth a shout that a young defender such as Penney would have benefited hugely from having an experienced keeper in Westwood behind him, which wasn’t the case. 

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that he busted his shoulder against Villa.

However, I'm not sure if he felt OK after medical team popped it back in on the pitch and he injured it again, or he played through the pain barrier.

Never heard about him getting injured again, though. It seems that as soon as Jos was gone he got scheduled for operation.

• Thanks 1