Whelan - Class act?

We should have signed Whelan when Villa did even if it broke the bank a bit....

He was/is exactly what we were/are missing to make the difference.

I am not someone who ever looks back but he was a player who improved himself, got better and could have really made a difference as captain at Wednesday.

Past it, Id have had him in the current team if he was the same player we had when he left for Stoke. However, yesterday was half a yard slow and was lucky to stay on the pitch, in fact should have gone during the 2nd half.

20 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Notwithstanding that he had a decent game (apart form taking down Hutch and getting a yellow card), did anybody else notice Whelan didn't celebrate any of the Villa goals and instead just took up position alone on the centre circle awaiting the re-start?

And he also followed the last few Wednesday players and applauded the Kop at the end.

Views? Comments?

The not celebrating a goal nonsense does my head in 

On 07/04/2019 at 07:01, james o connor said:

I hope not ! I loved him many years ago but according to the villa fans , that was by and far his nest game this season, and it was hardly a world beating display 

The other side of that coin is that a villa fan told me before the game that Whelan had been the lynchpin of their current winning streak.....I suppose they’ve got as many polar opinions as we have!

A good player for us and others, I felt  he was never quite good enough for the premier league when he was up there with Stoke. Don’t think he should be considered for us next season, our squad needs to be more balanced between youth and experience, speed of thought and legs is what’s required.;-)

On 06/04/2019 at 22:09, Musn't Grumble said:

Notwithstanding that he had a decent game (apart form taking down Hutch and getting a yellow card), did anybody else notice Whelan didn't celebrate any of the Villa goals and instead just took up position alone on the centre circle awaiting the re-start?

And he also followed the last few Wednesday players and applauded the Kop at the end.

Views? Comments?

^^^ I think this bit is implicit when you start a new thread. 

top player and was good for us. Shame he had to leave. Will always hold a special place in my heart for the 3rd goal at Cardiff. The pivotal goal, if not for Talbot at the end it would have been his goal we replayed every time when we talk about that game. Has had a good pro career and just a shame it wasn't for us.