Whelan - Class act?

Notwithstanding that he had a decent game (apart form taking down Hutch and getting a yellow card), did anybody else notice Whelan didn't celebrate any of the Villa goals and instead just took up position alone on the centre circle awaiting the re-start?

And he also followed the last few Wednesday players and applauded the Kop at the end.

Views? Comments?

• Like 9

His contracts up at the end of the season and I don’t think villa are renewing it 

it wouldn’t surprise me if Bruce brought him in, his better days are behind him but he’s a great pro and Bruce likes him 

I’m not suggesting we should or shouldn’t do this btw I just wouldn’t be surprised if he came and finished his career off with us 

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

His contracts up at the end of the season and I don’t think villa are renewing it 

it wouldn’t surprise me if Bruce brought him in, his better days are behind him but he’s a great pro and Bruce likes him 

I’m not suggesting we should or shouldn’t do this btw I just wouldn’t be surprised if he came and finished his career off with us 

Wouldn't mind him as a back up for Hutch for one season certainly a better option than Pelupessy.

• Like 4

never really noticed him but he was on the winning side so he must have done the job smith wanted of him …...you cant have had the career he's had and not be a good player and if he was to end up here  next season I wouldn't be complaining . 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

never really noticed him but he was on the winning side so he must have done the job smith wanted of him …...you cant have had the career he's had and not be a good player and if he was to end up here  next season I wouldn't be complaining . 

I would. Weve finally got the chabce to free the club  of Jones, Boyd and Abdi. 

Singing another hasbeen is hardly the way forward.

• Like 1

We need a new wave in terms of the way we employ players.

We've got to target young talent on realistic pay/contracts.

I hope that the owner has learned a lesson... the wage bill has been a killer and we're no further on.

Stop the policy of long contracts!!

Sell when the time's right and give the responsibility for signing players to people who have a vested interest in the club doing well.. like SB... not people who pimp players as their exclusive way of making a "living".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I would. Weve finally got the chabce to free the club  of Jones, Boyd and Abdi. 

Singing another hasbeen is hardly the way forward.

we'll be signing free transfers and loans on low(ish) wages so the odd old lag who can still play may have to be an option …

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we'll be signing free transfers and loans on low(ish) wages so the odd old lag who can still play may have to be an option …

As I hinted, let's learn from signing old lags...irrespective of wages, there will be hungry, quick players available, who Bruce can mould / nurture. 

• Like 1

Just now, Costello 77 said:

The likes of Whelan won't come on lowish wages ...

don't know but at 35 there wont be queue of big clubs wanting him …….wheres he going to go but downwards and they arnt going to be many bigger clubs than us who would be interested in him .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

don't know but at 35 there wont be queue of big clubs wanting him …….wheres he going to go but downwards and they arnt going to be many bigger clubs than us who would be interested in him .

That's my point Torry... he's on the downward.

We should be looking the other way.... he's had his day in the sun and good luck to the lad.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

As I hinted, let's learn from signing old lags...irrespective of wages, there will be hungry, quick players available, who Bruce can mould / nurture. 

good" young hungry quick players" usually cost money and are in demand …….the money bit may be a problem .I would love us to sign hector ,arrans but coughing up a fee and getting somewhere near to the  wages they are on could well be beyond us . ……...the blunts have signed no end of players in advanced years and shown that if you sign the right type then it can work . 

• Like 1