Was it offside

Guest Hirst1867

2 hours ago, swinners said:

Onside for me that.

IMG_20190330_221330.jpg

I would have loved it to be onside but using the lines cut into the grass you can see that Boyd’s left foot, both knees, body and head are all nearer the opposition goal than Shawcroft’s right foot. Boyd is clearly offside. 

I hate to say it, and I do hate to say it,  but Boyd was offside...However, Lord Snooty makes, as always, a good point, "bloody good eyes these linesmen that we always get", he's right, we're all looking at it in freeze-frame and can't decide, the Linesmen had to look at it in real-time, and make a call...and they did, and it was in my opinion the right call.  

A few inches offside, was the difference between 3 points, and 1.  I think things are getting too minute, micro-analysis when there is no need.  A few inches offside, is not going to give the "offsider" any overwhelming advantage, no "cherry-picking" here.  Boyd beat his defenders, he wasn't cherry-picking, his goal was not the result of being offside by 2-3-4 inches, it was because he beat his defenders, and their GK. To my mind that's an earned goal...but broken down into 2-3-4 inch increments, he was technically offside.  The question should be, did those 2-3-4 inches give him an advantage over the defenders, did this advantage cause the goal?

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Nobody knows. That's why there is so much controversy of offside decisions. 

Bring on VAR. 

At least it gives somebody time to evaluate the decision.

Unless we get promoted we won't be getting VAR ( thank god ) its Premier League only 

13 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

But it’s so marginal that the fact the ball on that frame has already just left the boot from the pass makes it very tight.

The sort of decision we’ve never got this season.

There was a goal in the last game that for me was offside.  Or we could keep perpetuating the myth that we are the most hard done to team in the football league.  

It's an impossible rule to implement 100%, I'd say the lino has done pretty well in this instance.

Just not bothered...