Injury count..

On the forwards front,it's games like like last nights when you miss the players like Gary Hooper,a little nudge here and there,clever hold up play and finding space where no one else can.

It's a pity it doesn't look good for him with his Owls future because his experience would be vital at times.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beholder said:

Penney 

Lazaar

Lee

Onomah

Joao

Forestieri 

Hooper

Winnal

Have I missed any?

We need a few of them back to stand a chance of being consistent. 

Four strikers out is a joke. 

Abdi, two weeks away:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wednesdaywizard said:

What's going on with Winnall?

He seems to have been back in the fold with the u23s for weeks now and yet isn't getting in to the squad.

Well he’s never looked like scoring a goal in all those appearances, so we can assume that he’s not ready for first team football We are down to the bare bones though, when it comes to strikers

7 hours ago, hodgybysea said:

On the forwards front,it's games like like last nights when you miss the players like Gary Hooper,a little nudge here and there,clever hold up play and finding space where no one else can.

It's a pity it doesn't look good for him with his Owls future because his experience would be vital at times.  

True. Hooper would have been ideal last night...Billy Blunt but bigger...I still laugh when I see the way Hooper persuaded John Terry to have a lie down when we beat Villa last season. Was it Reach who scored then...I can’t flippin remember that far back. And by the by, what is Joao’s problem at the moment anyone know?

11 hours ago, Beholder said:

Penney 

Lazaar

Lee

Onomah

Joao

Forestieri 

Hooper

Winnal

Have I missed any?

We need a few of them back to stand a chance of being consistent. 

Four strikers out is a joke. 

Isn’t Lee now classified as disabled.

Injured would seem to suggest it’s something short term or recoverable from.

It starts with signing players.

We need to sign players who have played regularly  and have got good playing rates in the past .

We then must make sure they are of the correct age and naturally athletic.

Then you have a chance.

Reach and Joey for example 

I personally think it falls back onto recruitment. Championship is a tough tough league, many leagues don’t have 46 games.

For example Van Aken... the most games he managed to play in the Eredivisie is 30 out of 34 and that was in 14/15. In 15/16 he managed 20 out of 34 and in 16/17 he managed 26 out of 34. Meaning he had only managed to play 46 games over 2 seasons in Holland, he comes to a much tougher league with many more games and we deemed this acceptable to spend £4m on a player who hadn’t played more than 26 games a season in the two years previous to us signing him. 

We we really need to be targeting players who can cope with playing 40 games a season

23 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It starts with signing players.

We need to sign players who have played regularly  and have got good playing rates in the past .

We then must make sure they are of the correct age and naturally athletic.

Then you have a chance.

Reach and Joey for example 

agree this is important we dont do ourselves favours    when i saw Iorfa i thought at last athleticism  then he gets injured kin hell

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

agree this is important we dont do ourselves favours    when i saw Iorfa i thought at last athleticism  then he gets injured kin hell

He doesn’t meet my other criteria, hardly played for two years.

What’s wrong with him, did Bruce say.

Just now, oldishowl said:

He doesn’t meet my other criteria, hardly played for two years.

What’s wrong with him, did Bruce say.

i didn't hear  but wouldn't be surprised if it's hamstring hope not 

I’m sure part of the issue is just bad luck with some isolated match day injuries, but looking at the bigger picture could the bloated size of our squad also be an issue?  I appreciate that a large squad should take pressure of player demands, but has it created a culture where players aren’t motivated to return to fitness?  Just a guess, but if we only had a couple of players to cover each position surely both the club and injured player would be busting a gut to regain match fitness as they’d be desperately needed on match day. 

To add further weight to this argument, some of our long term injuries seem unusually vague/mysterious. If Abdi knew he was desperately needed to fill his position in the first team, would we have seen more of him on the park? For some of our long term injuries I worry that they’ve lost their motivation and seem resigned to running their contracts down from the treatment room.