Steve Bruce interview on Test Match Special

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Cant listen to it .......... says i have to sign in or register. :picnic:

Same here. 

Anyone have a working link where i don't have to fill out a form?

4 hours ago, theowlsman said:

I’ll be surprised if he’s not at Stamford Bridge this weekend the way the cricket is going, we’re bloody awful. English Test cricket has gone right down the shytehole.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

they've won 8 of there last 9 games …..

^^^This.

Does my 'kin nut in when people slag off our cricket team when they have no interest, no idea how they're getting on most of the time or even understand the game. 

We've had some great results and sensational series wins while I've been watching over the last 30 years and are currently 3rd in the World rankings above  Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan. 

Wasn't so long ago that we were 1st too.

If you think this is going down the shytehole I'd  stay well clear. 

13 hours ago, torres said:

First game in Charge .. .. .

Westwood in the slips

Hutchinson Silly Mid Off

Joao Square Leg

Lets keep it tight til lunch boys 

Batting order

Top of the order - keeping the opposition attack at bay:

Westwood and Lees opening batsmen 

Hector no. 3

Middle order - defensive but taking things forward a little:

Hutchinson no. 4

Palmer no. 5

Fox no. 6 

All rounders - a bit of defence and a bit of attack

Bannan no. 7

Boyd no. 8

The Tail - the strike attack. Can’t defend 

Reach no. 9

Mattias no. 10

Fletcher no. 11

Love the enthusiasm. 

We need (or at least I feel we do) to put pride back into our club. I’ve always been proud to say I support Sheffield Wednesday. Unfortunately not as much in the last couple of seasons on and mainly off the pitch. 

He seems like a bloke who can bring pride and enjoyment back into supporting Wednesday for me.

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Batting order

Top of the order - keeping the opposition attack at bay:

Westwood and Lees opening batsmen 

Hector no. 3

Middle order - defensive but taking things forward a little:

Hutchinson no. 4

Palmer no. 5

Fox no. 6 

All rounders - a bit of defence and a bit of attack

Bannan no. 7

Boyd no. 8

The Tail - the strike attack. Can’t defend 

Reach no. 9

Mattias no. 10

Fletcher no. 11

I reckon Fletcher would be a cracking fast bowler making it swing and Reach would bat higher up banging a few runs. 

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

Same here. 

Anyone have a working link where i don't have to fill out a form?

^^^This.

Does my 'kin nut in when people slag off our cricket team when they have no interest, no idea how they're getting on most of the time or even understand the game. 

We've had some great results and sensational series wins while I've been watching over the last 30 years and are currently 3rd in the World rankings above  Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan. 

Wasn't so long ago that we were 1st too.

If you think this is going down the shytehole I'd  stay well clear. 

I think the baffling thing is we can do wonderfully well against Sri Lanka when we don’t expect it then awfully against the windies who are a poor team. So inconsistent especially in the batting department, oh for a boycott 

3 hours ago, Pulsar said:

I reckon Fletcher would be a cracking fast bowler making it swing and Reach would bat higher up banging a few runs. 

I;d have Palmer batting high up the order, with where his crosses go you know hes hitting sixes every other go

Who knows what Bruce will do, I like his attitude and lineage though.  For certain he'll shake things up, for better or worse, I say better, because he knows the Game, as it's played on and off the field, in England, and in any Tier.  Plus, he's got some decent talent to work with, but, this decent talent definitely needs to be played in position, according to proper tactics given the opponent, bound together by an overall STRATEGY with a definite goal...thing is, this decent talent may have to be sold, to survive in the 2nd Tier

There's still an opportunity to finish better than lower mid-table, and, to EARN an FA Cup Trophy.  Lot of matches yet to be played, we're barely past the half-way point, and DC has replaced Jos, and emplaced Bruce.  I like it, other than all the politics called FFP.  

19 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Can’t blame him for wanting to spend time with his family. It is a bit of a concern that he hasn’t been here in January to decide which players to keep and where we need to strengthen but hopefully by the summer he will have a good idea and get us sorted. 

I’m sure Aggers and Clemmers will have been the feeding back...

6 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

I think the baffling thing is we can do wonderfully well against Sri Lanka when we don’t expect it then awfully against the windies who are a poor team. So inconsistent especially in the batting department, oh for a boycott 

Well i can't argue with that. 

We have had some shocking displays in the past then produced something totally unexpected.

I think cricket is a game more than any other where confidence and mental sttength is paramount.

There were many instances in the 80's when we were beaten before we  even faced West Indies' Walsh or Ambrose for instance or Australia's Warne or McGrath in the 90's.

If people think English cricket has gone down the 'shytehole' they wanna cast an eye at the Aussies over the last few years, at least we don't cheat.

I'll not mention Athers for the time being.

:duntmatter:

Edited by Pulsar

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

If we switch on, sell some players and use sensible initiatives we can hopefully avoid a transfer embargo.

I get the feeling that Chansiri is convinced that the current squad is good enough to get promoted, and he’s trying to keep it together as long as he can

On 25/01/2019 at 09:22, upperwinngardensowl said:

He says he also went to learn different training and preparation by top teams.

bloody hope not!

and he called us “Sheffield “............

As much as I love the term "The Wednesday" I quite like it when we are just called "Sheffield" sort of makes the "other lot" even more irrelevant than they are.

Amazing how two regular neggers of my posts can build an attack around a light-hearted comment about the absolute dismal performance of the England side against West Indies in the current test match. And it has been just that, abysmal.

The performance has been absolutely shambolic. No bowling threat, incompetent batting up until the start of the 2nd innings, and dubious captaincy. How the hell can you get bowled out for 77 on a pitch West Indies had no problems with building a lead of over 600?

Yesterday’s play was pretty embarrasing. It was one way traffic, no bowling threat whatsoever. Only sympathy I had was for the amount of times Stokes went past the bat without getting an edge. Curran was a waste of space, Rashid’s confidence wasn’t there, not helped by Root’s reluctance to use him unless forced to out of desparation.

Choosing two spinners, and omitting Broad, was a bloody stupid selection mistake too. Nevermind, after our first innings total, we can now bat on to save a draw. And that I will be back to praise if it happens.

2 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Well i can't argue with that. 

We have had some shocking displays in the past then produced something totally unexpected.

I think cricket is a game more than any other where confidence and mental sttength is paramount.

There were many instances in the 80's when we were beaten before we  even faced West Indies' Walsh or Ambrose for instance or Australia's Warne or McGrath in the 90's.

If people think English cricket has gone down the 'shytehole' they wanna cast an eye at the Aussies over the last few years, at least we don't cheat.

I'll not mention Athers for the time being.

:duntmatter:

You’ve used one comment, out of context, to launch an attack.

Well done Cheap Shot Charlie.

England have been crap in this test match. 

On 25/01/2019 at 10:03, Flat Owl said:

Hats off to Bruce for taking time with his family and DC for supporting him.

Anything that gets Him refreshed, reinvigorated and provides a bit of insight into other things beyond the football bubble...

What you said, just back after annual leave "can I have afternoon off for a funeral?" "No need take more Holliday  time off, make time back when you can" know what kind of business  I would like to work for. Mine and if DC is similar, his.