3 Year Plan

20 minutes ago, gbear05 said:

I’d like to see Chansiri and Bruce work to a 3 year plan to get promoted.

Throwing cash at a quick promotion hasn’t worked.

We should be more planful, organised and structured in building for the medium and long term.

If we get promoted sooner than that, then great. Promotions at a lot of teams took time and I hope Chansiri is realising that. 

What do people think? 

There’s a tension at the moment because Chansiri is charging such high prices, that he probably feels pressured into getting promotion as quickly as possible. Perhaps he could lower the prices and communicate a new plan, learning from our mistakes.

Have we thrown cash at it, I don't think we have, throwing cash about is doing what Wolves did and we have spent about just enough to be competitive.

What money that has been thrown at it has been thrown in the wrong areas sadly and hopefully this will be something Bruce gets address.

9 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Have we thrown cash at it, I don't think we have, throwing cash about is doing what Wolves did and we have spent about just enough to be competitive.

What money that has been thrown at it has been thrown in the wrong areas sadly and hopefully this will be something Bruce gets address.

I’d be worried if we hadn’t thrown cash at it and were under a transfer embargo! 

29 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Some of those players who pushed us to two top-six finishes are done though.  I don't think we will see any effective contribution from Hooper or Lee before the end of the season, at which point I believe both contracts are up?  Also, lacking a dominant midfielder.  Hutchinson has been a breath of fresh air but we are all waiting for his next spell on the sidelines.  No one is doubting his ability but his temperament and natural fitness are both concerns.

Completely agree - we’ve had rotten luck with injuries over the past few seasons and along with poor management they have contributed to the mess we’ve had to endure since the play off semi defeat to Huddersfield. 

The likes of Westwood, Lees, Bannan and Reach are good enough for any team in this division. On their day, Fletcher, Joao and Matias can be as well. We’re starting to see what Boyd can do, and we all know what Hutch and FF can do if they stay fit. If we can sign Hector permanently that would be a great bit of business. We’ve got some good young players coming through for the first time in years and Thorniley in particular has proved he’s up to it. Penney has the ability IMO but needs a bit more time. 

I think we’re two full backs and two central midfielders (and a prolific striker but every team needs one of them) away from challenging again. Hopefully Bruce will recognise where the squad needs work and act accordingly - we’ve all been able to see what needed doing since his Hull side beat us at Wembley but things have been a bit strange since.

Your earlier post in the thread was spot on btw - I agreed with every word. 

Don’t see the problem with having a two pronged plan, strive for promotion as early as we can, all the while, developing the youth system In fact, although he doesn’t get any credit for that, isn’t that what DC has been doing? Jos didn’t pluck these youngsters out of nowhere, this has been a few years in the making

24 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Completely agree - we’ve had rotten luck with injuries over the past few seasons and along with poor management they have contributed to the mess we’ve had to endure since the play off semi defeat to Huddersfield. 

The likes of Westwood, Lees, Bannan and Reach are good enough for any team in this division. On their day, Fletcher, Joao and Matias can be as well. We’re starting to see what Boyd can do, and we all know what Hutch and FF can do if they stay fit. If we can sign Hector permanently that would be a great bit of business. We’ve got some good young players coming through for the first time in years and Thorniley in particular has proved he’s up to it. Penney has the ability IMO but needs a bit more time. 

I think we’re two full backs and two central midfielders (and a prolific striker but every team needs one of them) away from challenging again. Hopefully Bruce will recognise where the squad needs work and act accordingly - we’ve all been able to see what needed doing since his Hull side beat us at Wembley but things have been a bit strange since.

Your earlier post in the thread was spot on btw - I agreed with every word. 

Thanks mate. Seems like we’re both on the same page with this. 

Only thing I disagree with is Matias; good player but not good enough for top-six. If he had blistering pace it would be s different story. 

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

3 month plan.

Sorted.

That’s exactly how I was taught to do a business plan in my 30 years in sales for a blue chip FTSE top 100 company.

Have a 12 month business plan with the flexibility to change direction quarterly in line with market forces.

1 hour ago, gbear05 said:

We should be more planful, organised and structured in building for the medium and long term.

If we get promoted sooner than that, then great. Promotions at a lot of teams took time and I hope Chansiri is realising that. 

What do people think? 

There’s a tension at the moment because Chansiri is charging such high prices, that he probably feels pressured into getting promotion as quickly as possible. Perhaps he could lower the prices and communicate a new plan, learning from our mistakes.

We will only do that by bringing players in with their futures in fron of them and not behind them.

S no more players at the end of their career's, acting as bed blocker's, player's no older than 26 yrs old, with a sell on value, and use our own developed players.

What do people think? 

Yes

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Maybe I'm being a bit simple, but it seems to me that building a promotion winning side is fairly straightforward with a modest amount of money spent. 

It comes down to transfer strategy and squad selection.

You have a squad of 22-25 for your first team, of which approx 15-18 are good enough to play first team football without too much impact on quality.  The rest of the spaces are youth and loan players.  

Each transfer window you identify which part of your strongest starting eleven is weakest and strengthen that position.  Over two seasons and four transfer windows you should then have improved a minimum of four places in the starting eleven.  

The key is not to recruit for the sake of recruiting.  You do not recruit players to round out your squad.  You recruit to improve the weakest part of your strongest starting eleven.  The player displaced either moves on or becomes part of the squad.  

This allows you to maintain the core of your strongest side.  It does not disrupt the squad balance too much at any one time.  It's a logical progression of continuous improvement.

Or, you can blow your load on signing up any and all available players without any thought about how they can be fashioned into an effective starting eleven.

Who knows, maybe I'm being too simple minded about it. 

A good manager can get a cheap squad playing attractive football and in with a shout of promotion.

Look across the city. Can't stand Wilder but he's doing a fantastic job. Mind you when he goes they are up the creek

What do people think? 

what a load of cobblers this topic is, I read the headline and thought 'yippee! we have a plan'.

5 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Plans are great in theory, sadly, they don't predict injuries to (key) players. That's what has let us down. 

Not really this season...whats let us down is wasting half a season on Jos.

Lets be honest, if it wasn't for fans kicking off...and the antagonistic period leading up to the meeting, we would probably still be stuttering along...all of a sudden theres a plan?

The plans been there all along, we just didn't have any f.ooker who could read a map!

*Take 10 paces to the east...X marks....Pick yer best players FFS!....*

Treasure island for dummies

Thanks. Is it definitely a word? I wasn’t sure and my phone changed it to planning, but I went with it anyway 

It's not a word but don't worry the grammar police are asleep shhhhhh... 

A thoughtful OP post BTW. 

I started a thread in the summer suggesting the club have a strategy .

The general consensus was that we had one already. Clearly we hadn't. I'd be surprised if we had a thought through one now. 

Edited by Rev Owl
  • Like 1