3 Year Plan

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

If you believe Nixon and a few others Howson), then :Chansiri:thinks we can still get promoted and is willing to back Bruce in January.

Think I would rather get ready for next season, too much of a gamble to risk it for play offs this season

Guest wilyfox

I don't think the 3yr plan thing works. Get the right ingredients & it can all happen in one season - as we saw with Cardiff, Huddersfield, etc.. Looking that way for Leeds this year and possibly Norwich too. 

I am all for stability etc... but I am not sure you can plan things in football. For instance, how could the club have planned for 14 injured players last season?? Or how could the club plan for Wolves bidding £20m for reach (theoretical)??

There has to be the basis of a plan admittedly but I would also like to see DC and the club been a little more reactive and proactive towards the current situation rather than just letting things spiral out of control. Its something that we haven't been for a while IMO...I always think it's easier to undo a weeks worth of mess rather than a years worth. Bruce and his team deserve time to get things right as I think its the correct appointment but they also need the support from above and I sincerely hope that DC as learnt something from the last 2/3 seasons.

2 hours ago, gbear05 said:

I’d like to see Chansiri and Bruce work to a 3 year plan to get promoted.

Throwing cash at a quick promotion hasn’t worked.

We should be more planful, organised and structured in building for the medium and long term.

If we get promoted sooner than that, then great. Promotions at a lot of teams took time and I hope Chansiri is realising that. 

What do people think? 

There’s a tension at the moment because Chansiri is charging such high prices, that he probably feels pressured into getting promotion as quickly as possible. Perhaps he could lower the prices and communicate a new plan, learning from our mistakes.

Long term is the way. Infrastructure is the key. 

We need to plan for and develop among other things 

Scouting 

Academy 

Transfers

Medical support

Training facilities

Commercial

Communication 

Youth and U23 teams

Coaching staff

First Team management

Etc etc

We don't have all these in place to a good enough standard yet.  A quick browse on here of sensible critics will tell you that. 

Edited by Rev Owl

1 minute ago, Rev Owl said:

Long term is the way. Infrastructure is the key. 

We need to plan for and develop among other things 

Scouting 

Academy 

Transfers

Medical support

Training facilities

Commercial

Communication 

Youth and U23 teams

Coaching staff

First Team management

Etc etc

No spritual gudance at all...Kivo will be well upset...He likes to see a clergyman on the bench at least lol

• Haha 1

I just hope that Bruce has a plan. 

It's not a bad time to take on the SWFC job with a lot of players moving in in the summer (on huge wages) and presumably therefore some manoeuvrability in the summer. If Bruce decides how he wants his team to play in the next 4 months he can then really recruit well in the summer to add the missing elements. I wonder if he'll look back at the Wembley team and wonder why we didn't sign a Dime or Huddlestone type player, like every SWFC fan did.  

Not sure we'll ever see prices go down under CC unfortunately. 

45 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Plans are great in theory, sadly, they don't predict injuries to (key) players. That's what has let us down. 

This is precisely the point, plans may work if decisions reflect what the planner/manager intend, but they rarely do and plans are not the same things as setting goals 

Forget a 3 year plan, we should be aiming for promotion next season.

What's the point in being in this division if the aim is not have a good crack at the play offs?

There will only be a few teams like Rotherham who will be happy with staying up!

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Forget a 3 year plan, we should be aiming for promotion next season.

What's the point in being in this division if the aim is not have a good crack at the play offs?

There will only be a few teams like Rotherham who will be happy with staying up!

I don’t think having a 3 year plan excludes us from trying for the play offs earlier than that.

My point is that it is irresponsible to throw money at one or two seasons, then being broke when it doesn’t work, which takes years to fix.

Sounds a bit political to me, and we all know how most political planning ends up. However I’m up for owt after 19 years in the wilderness, Wilder just sends the blunts out to run, run and run more, they more often than not play out of position and are promotion possibilities, that can’t be a plan, or can it? :wub:

For long term planning to work you need to get lucky . For example have 4 or 5 youngsters who come through Academy that are very good at this level. Or you have to buy well probably from lower leagues or abroad. Or more than likely a combination of both.

The parachute payments are so huge any team coming down who is well managed (both financially and football wise) should go straight back up. In last couple of years we have seen teams come down who had been managed as poorly as we were when we were relegated. With P&S rules this prevents other teams who can spend money competing with these clubs on level terms. I can not see clubs being relegated always falling in basket case category. The league is getting full of potential premier league teams (Villa, Derby, Forest, Leeds, WBA, Norwich and Wednesday) and I think to get out of it going forward serious money will have to be spent to compete with many of teams in league. Think any spending has to be targeted in a particular season or 18 month period, if over longer period will have difficulty holding onto any quality brought in.

We have made big strides with Academy but we need to get to higher level and to do that we need more pitches and this unlikely to happen unless promoted. The games played at u/18 and u/23 level are not competitive enough to bring lads on quickly. Our recruitment for money spent has been poor by any standard, now we have a manager who does have contacts and lets hope they are used. This will include loan players who are probably for one season so you have to get it right or face a rebuilding task.

I honestly think that the main tactic SB will employ is to assess the squad then gather the best players he can via loans and purchases, play em as a solid 4:1:4:1 and ....dunno .... tell em to win, feed em on mushrooms, don’t give away silly goals etc. 

Fans can critique Carlos for 2016 but Hull beat us cos overall they had better, more experienced players - most like Huddlestone had played at a higher level and if proof were needed, look at what Robertson, Livermore, Diame ... Maguire(!) etc have done since.

I was at Wembley for the Villa Fulham play off final - Bruce was too conservative really, got played off the park first half but by the end Fulham were hanging on.

I’m pretty sure he already has a list of those he wants to build the team around but (even thought it would mark the end of an era) it wouldn’t surprise me to see Westy, Fessi and Reach leave to finance other deals. We know he likes Onomah and Boyd - that’s half or 2/5 of a midfield right there. 

Anyway pleased Messrs Bruce, Clemence, Agnew are at least keeping Bullen on - I think both change and continuity are important at any club. LB  has shown good sense since Jos left. Hope the rest of January is positive too. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

I don't think the 3yr plan thing works. Get the right ingredients & it can all happen in one season - as we saw with Cardiff, Huddersfield, etc.. Looking that way for Leeds this year and possibly Norwich too. 

You could you are correct. In my opinion you still need an underpinning plan though. No reason why promotion cant come earlier than planned if everything goes right. Not having any plan just smacks of leaving your job and buying lottery tickets each week in hope. Might be ok for some.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

You could you are correct. In my opinion you still need an underpinning plan though. No reason why promotion cant come earlier than planned if everything goes right. Not having any plan just smacks of leaving your job and buying lottery tickets each week in hope. Might be ok for some.

The plan should be to build the best team we can. When we'll have one good enough to win promotion is anyone's guess - but we'll continue pushing for that every year under Chansiri as we have so far. 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The plan should be to build the best team we can. When we'll have one good enough to win promotion is anyone's guess - but we'll continue pushing for that every year under Chansiri as we have so 

Thats a written, but budgets need to be adhered to and recruitment planned properly. 

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I don't think Bruce would be here if he didn't think we can go up next year.

My guess is that we'll build a side in summer close to promotion and if we miss out truly go for it year later.

Sounds good apart from the financial constraints we have