What’s this twaddle about Palmer lacking quality going forward?

12 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Was man of the match at Birmingham away .He's had a lot of good games this season. Jos was the problem, not Palmer. Local lad, better than a lot of full backs that come to play against us

He didn't play particularly well under Carlos either in truth. Being local has nothing to do with it unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

He didn't play particularly well under Carlos either in truth. Being local has nothing to do with it unfortunately.

Palmer played well under Stuart Gray and has improved massively under Bullen’s guidance who knows a bit about full back play.

Both Carlos and Jos tried to push our full backs into wing back positions. In Jos’s case forever swapping him with Baker of changing the system. Palmer was excellent today in a back four. Defended well, saw off Maghoma and got forward to good effect. Actually raced back rather than strolling back into position as was the case earlier this season.

Needs a consistent system and then prove he can do it consistently.

It was our central defenders and defensive midfield players that switched off early second half today and that cost us two points.

Aarons, Norwich's 18 year old right back, has provided 3 assists and 2 goals so far this season.

That's more assists than Palmer in the last two and a half seasons combined, and more goals than Palmer in his entire career.  Surely this alone tells you where Palmer sits in terms of "quality" going forward?

It's all well and good saying the assists and goals stat isn't the whole story of a player's attacking prowess... and the OP is right, it isn't... but it's an indicator. 

Palmer is fine... I don't rate him, but I don't get the hate he sometimes gets on here. But twaddle to say he's shybo going forward? Nah mate... proof is in the pudding. Two assists in two and a half seasons... there are 5 right-sided Championship fullbacks that have bettered that in <=21 games this season alone. 

Guest Maxine

Palmer gets some right stick on here but his work rate can't be slagged. He had a good game today and I love it when he does well he loves the club. 

I think he's a great lad, met him many a times but - I keep using the theory.

If you put a League Position, next to each players name - this is what happens.

Jack Hunt - 4th to 6th.

Liam Palmer - 16th to 18th 

Ash Baker - Haven't seen enough to say he's capable over a season at this level.

It's an interesting model and players can improve, as can their perceived league position. In my eyes, Morgan Fox has all the physical attributes to keep progressing and there's some quality in there too, which will grow with confidence. He's only just turned 25 also.

Palmer's a decent squad player.

He was part of Gray's back 4 that kept a record number of clean sheets IIRC?

Since then, he's been a bit part player. Mainly back up to Hunt.

Players in and out of the side, rarely play anywhere near their peak, but they do a job.

Why is it we can accept that players not being played, through injury or whatever, need time to get match fit and hit form, but we expect squad players to be at the top of their game whenever they get the nod.

If we get rid of all these types of player, as some Fan's always call for, we'd have a very small squad to choose from.

9 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Played well today. No issue going forward, it’s his final ball that sometimes let’s him down. 

That, my friend, sums him up. 

He was committed and effective today but when he finds himself in a killer position he seems incapable of putting the ball in the danger area.

He often seems to be the one letting someone get the better of him or at fault for a goal.

Obviously the fullback's are put in that position more often.

I've never had a problem with him using the ball.

He's not bad defensively. He's a decent player but it's a position we could strengthen.

I guess it’s all about opinions, but Palmer for me just doesn’t look a natural footballer. When he finds himself in situations where he can really hurt the opposition he usually fluffs his lines.  I suppose he’s a perfectly adequate defender, but I think the debate is more about the club wanting to get to the next level. 

If DC stated we only had funds to bring in a couple of players, where would you look to strengthen? Personally I agree with other posters that the full back positions need more quality and I believe that’s where our recruitment should focus.

Palmer has never had a problem getting forward and getting into good positions to cross the ball the only problem is he has never been able to cross the ball into good areas that is what we need a full back and a winger with pace and who can put a good ball into the box

Decent player is Palmer. A good full-back for teams in the lower half of the Championship. He seems a reslly decent guy as well. 

Unfortunately for him, he lacks the athletic ability to be a real threat with pace. His crossing is ok, but not fantastic. 

I’m not going to sit here and say he’s rubbish as he’s been part of our gradual ascent from League One strugglers to Championship promotion hopefuls. He’s been the mist successful academy graduate we have had in a long, long time. 

All that aside it is clear as day that we need quality on both flanks. Forget strikers, we need two new full-backs and a beast in midfield. 

I don’t think Palmer should be an integral part of any squad pushing for promotion.  I know thats not where we are right now, but if we want to be there then I think we need to essentially replace Hunt

I mean that with the greatest of respect, because I like him. I like his attitude, I like the fact he’s come through the academy and he’s a wednesday fan doing his dream job. He puts in steady performances and think you can rely on Palmer to do a job. I certainly don’t think He deserves the dogs abuse he gets. 

Sam Hutchinson gives our team so much security it allows our full backs to push on and us not look vibrable at the back 

before when other teams broke it made us look out of shape and people though it was our full backs fault 

Palmer is and always has been a steady player  I think we could improve, yes, think pudil and hunt in our first season on the other side that bit more quality makes a difference but there’s nothing up with Palmer I think he’s a very strong squad player And fills in very well.

i think it’s a lot to ask of him and baker to sustain it over the full season and that’s why I’d look to recruit. Allow baker to continue his development a loan would be excellent for him and if we’re recruiting we should always look to improve on what we have.

palmer again played very well yesterday 

14 hours ago, shandypants said:

I can remember only two “bad” crosses from him today one overshot everyone at the back post and the other was crossed into the keeper’s hands; the rest were all good and crossed into the space to attack - it’s not Palmer’s fault if the attacker doesn’t attack the space. There was also a bit of a “worldy” towards the end where Palmer ran 30 plus yards from a defensive position onto a through-ball and put a beauty across the six-yard box that Fletcher (if I remember correctly) should have got his head onto. 

Palmer was also involved in some excellent interplay in the last third with various teammates and constantly won the bits and pieces and also the applied the high press forcing opponents into mistakes and rash passes again in the last third. 

It baffles me why people on here can’t acknowledge what Palmer does. 

Let’s not go over board here.

His game has improved but let’s not use the word “Worldy”

There are people out there at full back who could do a lot better job including the guy we let Bristol City have.

He’s alright in the position, like the thoughts of others he has never been a wing back (though to be fair, none of our full back options really are). I’m glad it is working for both him and Fox right now with a change of management and formation (a more conventional 4-4-2 offers them wing protection and an easier definition of their role?) but we still need a better player in both full back positions.

Again I am glad he was better going forward recently though I’ve remembered countless times of a lack of cofndoence and ability further up the pitch including at home against Preston recently where he looked like he was freaking out down the flank.

Outside of this I hope he sticks around as backup though it might be something that irks him and he leaves for Bolton or a similar club, but at least we would have got some impeccable mileage out of an academy graduate.