What’s this twaddle about Palmer lacking quality going forward?

I can remember only two “bad” crosses from him today one overshot everyone at the back post and the other was crossed into the keeper’s hands; the rest were all good and crossed into the space to attack - it’s not Palmer’s fault if the attacker doesn’t attack the space. There was also a bit of a “worldy” towards the end where Palmer ran 30 plus yards from a defensive position onto a through-ball and put a beauty across the six-yard box that Fletcher (if I remember correctly) should have got his head onto. 

Palmer was also involved in some excellent interplay in the last third with various teammates and constantly won the bits and pieces and also the applied the high press forcing opponents into mistakes and rash passes again in the last third. 

It baffles me why people on here can’t acknowledge what Palmer does. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I can remember only two “bad” crosses from him today one overshot everyone at the back post and the other was crossed into the keeper’s hands; the rest were all good and crossed into the space to attack - it’s not Palmer’s fault if the attacker doesn’t attack the space. There was also a bit of a “worldy” towards the end where Palmer ran 30 plus yards from a defensive position onto a through-ball and put a beauty across the six-yard box that Fletcher (if I remember correctly) should have got his head onto. 

Palmer was also involved in some excellent interplay in the last third with various teammates and constantly won the bits and pieces and also the applied the high press forcing opponents into mistakes and rash passes again in the last third. 

It baffles me why people on here can’t acknowledge what Palmer does. 

I’m not sure what Chris Waddle has to do with it.

But the part about Palmer not being very good going forward probably comes from the fact that in 201 games he’s contributed a grand total of 1 goal and 8 assists.

The much maligned Morgan Fox has contributed 1 goal and 3 assists in 53 games.

Jack Hunt supplied 9 assists in his 108 games for us (0 goals) and his amassed 4 goals and 35 assists in his career (315 games). This is compared to Palmer’s career stats of 247 games, 1 goal and 10 assists), and Fox (176 games, 3 goals, 12 assists).

Given that Hunt is a decent Championship fullback and Fox is an average to mediocre one...I think we can close the debate on this so called twaddle about Liam Palmer.

Edited by McRightSide
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I’m not sure what Chris Waddle has to do with it.

But the part about Palmer not being very good going forward probably comes from the fact that in 201 games he’s contributed a grand total of 1 goal and 8 assists.

The much maligned Morgan Fox has contributed 1 goal and 3 assists in 53 games.

Jack Hunt supplied 9 assists in his 108 games for us (0 goals) and his amassed 4 goals and 35 assists in his career (315 games). This is compared to Palmer’s career stats of 247 games, 1 goal and 10 assists), and Fox (176 games, 3 goals, 12 assists).

Given that Hunt is a decent Championship fullback and Fox is an average to mediocre one...I think we can close the debate on this so called twaddle about Liam Palmer.

But when is it ever that clear? Assists as stats are somewhat flawed. The term “assist” just translates into the person to last touch the ball before the scorer fired the ball into the net. The keeper would get the assist if he rolled the ball out to the Center-half and that Centre-half went on a mazey run and scored; equally, someone that created the chance wouldn’t get the assist if more than one attacking player helped the ball over the line. 

Also, I’m not comparing Palmer with anyone else; I’m just saying that he’s more than adequate going forward. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

But when is it ever that clear? Assists as stats are somewhat flawed. The term “assist” just translates into the person to last touch the ball before the scorer fired the ball into the net. The keeper would get the assist if he rolled the ball out to the Center-half and that Centre-half went on a mazey run and scored; equally, someone that created the chance wouldn’t get the assist if more than one attacking player helped the ball over the line. 

Also, I’m not comparing Palmer with anyone else; I’m just saying that he’s more than adequate going forward. 

Ok then.

Hes contributed 8 assists, some of which might have been insignificant and fortunate

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 3

His crossing is poo lets be honest. Cant pick a man out, most of them are drifted to the back post. Even worse when he has to slide one across the goal once hes made it into the box, Duck out of water.  Modern day fullbacks need the ability to put a decent ball in. 

He is miles better than Baker though so he will have to do until we get a replacement.

Liam Palmer is absolutely appalling going forward. 6 assists in 150 Championship games. 0 goals in 150 Championship games. I bet you can't find 3 instances in his last 50 games where his crosses have either directly or indirectly led to goals.

He may have had a good game today (down south, didn't see it)... personally I think he's played pretty decently the last couple of matches so it wouldn't surprise me if he stepped up again today... but he's absolutely torrid in terms of final product. That's not the end of the world, it isn't his game, but he's absolute tosh when it comes to final product in an attacking sense... let's not pretend otherwise. 

• Like 1

Got a great view of the cross mentioned in the op and commented at the time that it was the best of the day ( by either team) and a shame no one got on the end of it.     Palmer just needs to do it more consistently. Thought both fullbacks were decent today.

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

When he has 3 out of 4 decent games then I for one will appreciate what he gives us.

Was man of the match at Birmingham away .He's had a lot of good games this season. Jos was the problem, not Palmer. Local lad, better than a lot of full backs that come to play against us