Easy answer to overpriced tickets

2 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

If Chansiri is as rich as he says and only reason can't invest is FFP, then in theory what's stopping a rich owner buying all the tickets in his own name and giving them away! 

Because under P&S rules he’d have to declare it as investment by owner and he’s already reached the permitted threshold 

1 hour ago, londonowl said:

Of course that's the simple answer. And then in 20 years when there are no fans left because we haven't attracted the next generation we won't have to worry about ticket prices because there will be no club.

I have taken the option of simply not buying them this year (before a ball was kicked and because of the £90 membership fiasco) so that's 2 kids who are not going to any games this season. No idea what I'm doing next season yet but I can't be the only ones whose kids are at risk of being lost forever instead of spending the next 80 years supporting the club long after DC has gone.

I did the same after 40 years of going. My grandchildren don't go now either  for the same reason

11 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Because under P&S rules he’d have to declare it as investment by owner and he’s already reached the permitted threshold 

You're allowed to receive £10000 in a tax year as gift. Chansiri has a database of fans who have bought tickets in the last year's as it's all automated now. Nothing stopping him giving money to people to buy their own tickets. He could easily give £800 to every fan who's bought a ticket and allow them to buy a season ticket priced at £799.99. That way he would have 32000 season ticket holders! That's £25,599,680 going back into the club. 

Nothing FFP can do about a guy paying out of his own money to fans! That money goes straight back in as ticket sales. This opens the door to 32000 people at Hillsborough on a match day who are more inclined to buy club merchandise because they have not had to pay for their tickets, thus increasing revenue further! 

Our ticket pricing has almost become a non issue for this season now (apart from for the away fans coming).

There’s barely anyone paying on the gate and reducing prices isn’t going to bring them back to watch an underperforming team and manager. 

The season ticket, membership and POTG prices for next year will be interesting

1 hour ago, bobness said:

Or at least buy all the unsold tickets as a way around FFP...

I suspect the EFL would to NOT accept this scenario as would see it as additional investment from the owner and therefore against he spirit .. empty ground but all tickets bought by owner so Gate receipts show a full ground.

3 minutes ago, dowls said:

I suspect the EFL would to NOT accept this scenario as would see it as additional investment from the owner and therefore against he spirit .. empty ground but all tickets bought by owner so Gate receipts show a full ground.

Just the unsold tickets. Could say season ticket holders stayed at home and the crowd were all POTG!

:Chansiri:

Here's an easy way to make tickets cheaper: have a proper transfer policy and sell players for decent money. Something pretty much every team in the division manages to do, but for some reason we either can't or don't want to. That doesn't mean a fire-sale, or becoming a 'selling club'. Our match receipts and associated turnover in our last annual accounts came to £16,835,000. I realise it's too simplistic to say that, for example, if we sold Adam Reach for £8,000,000 in January we could halve our ticket prices next season, but it's an entire area of revenue that for whatever reason we're more or less totally ignoring. And DC can argue as much as he likes about players having to want to go and other clubs having to want to buy them: the fact is, virtually every other club manages to do it, but we don't.

Edited by Sova

6 hours ago, Sova said:

Here's an easy way to make tickets cheaper: have a proper transfer policy and sell players for decent money. Something pretty much every team in the division manages to do, but for some reason we either can't or don't want to. That doesn't mean a fire-sale, or becoming a 'selling club'. Our match receipts and associated turnover in our last annual accounts came to £16,835,000. I realise it's too simplistic to say that, for example, if we sold Adam Reach for £8,000,000 in January we could halve our ticket prices next season, but it's an entire area of revenue that for whatever reason we're more or less totally ignoring. And DC can argue as much as he likes about players having to want to go and other clubs having to want to buy them: the fact is, virtually every other club manages to do it, but we don't.

Exactly this. The completely unsustainable policy of signing players on big contracts but never selling any was bonkers. I’ve seen comments suggesting that fans would have been unhappy if we had sold - well so what if we were, that’s how football works, you sell a player you bring another one in. If the team improves fans soon get over the disappointment of loosing their former favourite.

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

He has told us our money doesn't cover anything so why is he charging extortionate price.

Because he is out of his depth, has no clue on the culture of the city and more worryingly seems devoid of any real business strategy 

The next generation of owls are being priced out, they will never get into the habit of going.  And the casual pay on the gate supporter is dwindling.  I wonder where we will be in 10 years time regarding support.  Chansiri is not thinking about the future of the club and its place in the community of Sheffield.

10 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Was talking to a lapsed fan today; someone who still cares about the club but nowhere near what they used to just a few years ago when we had season tickets together. 

“Chansiri has turned it into a product. He’s increased the price and lowered the quality. He’s done a Toblerone; less for more. I don’t care enough to pay more for a broken product. The club is alien to me now.”

I think there are a lot of fans feeling the same. 

Or when we aren’t good to watch/wining I won’t go.

Its been the same forever and a day.

Only difference nowadays is the supporters that actually stay with the club are getting royally ripped off 

9 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

To some people on here - I will put it straight.

I felt worse at times in the late 2000's and early 2010's about the state of our club than I do now.

I still want to go to games and whatever the outcome of this season, I want to and will buy into next season because I think it will be better.

Lay into me for that if you wish, but I like football, and I love Wednesday.

You can't always get what you want, and not every team can be on the up at the same time.   For every winner there has to be a loser and we are losing right now, but our fortunes will change at some point - probably when the mistakes that have been made by Chansiri have expired and we can go again.

I think the last part in particular is lost on many people.  It's sport, it's competition, there have to be winners and losers.  To varying degrees every team's set of fans expect their team to win or at least "progress" (the definition of which seems to differ depending who you ask).  It can't happen for everyone.

11 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

We all dont like ticket prices for Football games ..

But Bolton have been ripping off us Wednesday fans for years ..

Not a nice stadium either .....

A good few on here were all for high ticket prices a couple of years back 

Wonder what their thoughts are now 

5 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

The next generation of owls are being priced out, they will never get into the habit of going.  And the casual pay on the gate supporter is dwindling.  I wonder where we will be in 10 years time regarding support.  Chansiri is not thinking about the future of the club and its place in the community of Sheffield.

The vast majority of what Chansiri has put in place since he took over is the get to the Premier League as quick as he could and basically sod everything else and not much thought of what happens if we dont. History, identity, fans on low incomes. local business sponsors all were expendable to trebling his money and stoking his vanity of getting to the Premier league.

7 hours ago, Sova said:

Good post.

Selling players makes sense from financial and football reasons. Things need freshening up every now and then by buying players and funding it by letting players go.

The key is selling and buying the right players I guess. But just stockpiling players will end up with things going stale. The back of the Wednesday programme with normally have a squad of players much larger then the opposition, no wonder he cant reduce ticket prices.

2 minutes ago, the monk said:

A good few on here were all for high ticket prices a couple of years back 

Wonder what their thoughts are now 

The I’m Alright Jacks of 2015/16/17 will be staying tight-lipped.  They won’t front up now.

I remember some of the glib put-downs well:

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.  If you can’t afford it, don’t go.  You’ll be back when we’re in the Premier League.

Cheap shots.  I hope they’re pleased with themselves.

It wouldn’t take a great deal of effort to dig up some of the embarrassing justifications of the disgusting ticket prices.  But that would be crass.  They know who they are anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Captain said:

The I’m Alright Jacks of 2015/16/17 will be staying tight-lipped.  They won’t front up now.

I remember some of the glib put-downs well:

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.  If you can’t afford it, don’t go.  You’ll be back when we’re in the Premier League.

Cheap shots.  I hope they’re pleased with themselves.

It wouldn’t take a great deal of effort to dig up some of the embarrassing justifications of the disgusting ticket prices.  But that would be crass.  They know who they are anyway.

Bang on Captain , still sticks in my throat those comments , fans selling their souls for a few pieces of silver

Only fans in world football that wanted higher prices and probably the same folk that take cheap shots at United's cheaper tickets