Treatment of Penney

51 minutes ago, deano said:

Bizarre that he's not playing left back, did really well when he came into team and gave us a genuine option. 

Looks a little lost when played elsewhere. 

Jos is doing to Penney exactly what Carlos did with Reach, insisting on playing him everywhere and anywhere, never letting the lad find his feet.

He's been a totally different player since he's been messed about less.

Now penney Looked comfortable and at ease when brought in initially with Thornily as his cb, they had an understanding from playing together and both seemed to thrive. 

I think jos the rotator needs to keep the two of them playing together regularly as a Lcb & Lb pairing together and they will both flourish. 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Penney was finding himself in the centre. Just like he was against United.

Its not his position and we’re in danger of ruining a genuinely talented lad. In and out the team, changing his position every other week, taking him off at half time. It’s poor management. 

Don’t start him if he’s not ready. Or just play him left back where he was beginning to find his feet before the constant chopping and changing to the defence. 

We ruin young players at Wednesday, and the comments in this thread back that up. 

If he's playing poo you take him off.

Doesn't matter if he's 20 or 35, you don't stay on if you're playing poor.

The change was the ideal one to make too, to go more attacking on the left wing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Jos is doing to Penney exactly what Carlos did with Reach, insisting on playing him everywhere and anywhere, never letting the lad find his feet.

He's been a totally different player since he's been messed about less.

Now penney Looked comfortable and at ease when brought in initially with Thornily as his cb, they had an understanding from playing together and both seemed to thrive. 

I think jos the rotator needs to keep the two of them playing together regularly as a Lcb & Lb pairing together and they will both flourish. 

I would agree but the manager doesn’t have a clue.

i don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated with a manager.

no consistency - no structure - no strategy.

its as bad as it gets.

using the “he promoted the youth” argument has now also worn thin.

he picks baker over Palmer when he’s an inferior player, he found a player in Penney and has moved him round so much he’s lost his way.

He over promoted Kirby hunt nielsen and shaw all of who’s confidence has probably taken a kicking.

only thorniley and Dawson have shown they might be up to it.

Edited by ka58

17 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Thats your opinion fair enough even though you are wrong , but your spelling  is appalling  .

Stuck your spalling up yourrre arsa. 

If you think he's good enough pal then that's you're opinion. I'm saying he isn't good enough at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I would agree but the manager doesn’t have a clue.

i don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated with a manager.

no consistency - no structure - no strategy.

its as bad as it gets.

using the “he promoted the youth” argument has now also worn thin.

he picks baker over Palmer when he’s an inferior player, he found a player in Penney and has moved him round so much he’s lost his way.

He over promoted Kirby hunt nielsen and shaw all of who’s confidence has probably taken a kicking.

only thorniley and Dawson have shown they might be up to it.

Its about getting the balance right between youth and experience, yet not playing youngsters way out of position when they're still learning their game, as we both agree is detrimental also to their development. 

As for Palmer & Baker, we as usual got our recruitment wrong by not signing him permanently and signing Van-Abdi mk2 who looked lost and is always injured, as I think with Venancio as his cb guiding, talking and helping him positionally really helped him out and he looked far better last season. Its also been effecting Tom lees having to try look after the lad as he really isn't captain material and struggles in this area. 

I think most seem to be slowly coming to the realisation that simply putting youth players in the team isn’t enough by itself. 

Jos might have given some of these lads their break, but can you honestly say he’s the best man to coach or manage them? Would the players themselves even say that? 

The thing is with putting youth players into a team...

IMHO...

You try them one at a time, into a TEAM that is playing for each other, in a system they have been used to, which they will learn from.

We have just thrown ours into a total mess, then expect them to perform like Giggs, Scholes Beckham, Neville and others i have probarbly missed, did for Man U.

Apart from Thorniley, we are (and so are they themselves to a certain extent) killing their career because we are just shoving them all over the place, with no tactics whatsoever, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try 100%, which some are not doing.

Penney needs to go back out on loan, or at least get a few U23 games.

He looks way out of his depth at the moment and needs to rediscover his form at a level more suited to his current ability. Looks to me that his early performances were a bit of a flash in the pan.

To be fair, it should have happened two months ago - unfortunately we took a much worse approach of shifting him around to all kinds of positions, which seems to have compounded the issue.

Needs to go out to a lower level and play 20-odd games in the same position and then see how we does.

In a ideally world he would be sent out on loan to League One unfortunately because of the situation we find ourselves in we aren't able to do that or whatever reason. So it's sink or swim for him but after swimming i think he is slowly sinking.

9 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Needs to be played in his best position LB. We are running him big time!

If LB is his best position well he needs to go away and learn how to defend and not get caught on his heels all the time. Those clamouring to get the youngsters in are realising that it ain’t easy at this level and nothing is given but needs to be earned