Treatment of Penney

A couple of decent performance and he’s a future star that we could sell for millions. 

:manager:

A couple of poor performances and he’s useless and never going to be good enough. 

:carlos:

Lets just give him time to develop. He’s going to have his ups and downs this year. Hopefully by the end of this season he’s cemented his position in the team ready for next season.

On 28/11/2018 at 11:06, Hack-Abusi said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

some (probably same people) would be moaning about Jos not bringing off Penney earlier because he was having a stinker!!

Although like a few i agree that his best position is LB ... this experiment of him in the middle of the park isn't working out well

It's odd isn't it, becasue before he'd even had 10 pro starts for us many were already talking about the need to convert him to a midfield player ready for our inevitable sale of Reach.

Actually gets a couple of games in midfield and it doesn't work out folks are saying he shouldn't be played out of position!  Can't really win on that score.

Penney looks a player to me.  He has a good touch, he moves with the ball well and has good technique. He is clearly going through a bad of run of form at the moment but he is playing in a side devoid of confidence with a negative manager who is meddling with tactics/formations and team selection.  Penney could become a very good player but we need a good manager who can develop him.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

I wish more people would stop haranguing Jos for what the players have stopped doing, because apart from Pudil for Thorniley, we beat Aston Villa away 2-1 with quite a few of our players playing much better than they did on Tuesday. particularly Penney.

I always rated Penney higher than the other U23 players when i saw them play and I include, Hirst, Stobbs and Clare in that. Penney looked like the finished article and I am not sure if I was just lucky to see every game that he performed well in, but in the half a dozen games I saw him play in, he looked consistently good in every one of them.

Since he signed his new contract he seems to have become a totally different player. On Tuesday night he was played the ball with space before him and inside him, yet he hesitated on the the ball before passing it back to a defensive position. Against Aston Villa he was bombing down the line whether defenders were there or not. he was playing in the same position on Tuesday, as a wing back with three behind him across the middle.

Like I said earlier the team was exactly the same in every department, except Thorniley played (and played well) instead of Pudil and apart from Matias being given 9/10 by Sports Souls, Fletcher 9 (presumably because they both scored) and Baker 5/10, the players ratings were very similar to Tuesdays, with Lees, Pelupessy and Reach all getting 8s and the other players 7s.

Their comments about Penney were-

Penney always made himself available for a pass. He bombed forward at every opportunity he got and also completed his defensive duties. Proved to be a good attacking outlet for the Owls.

Getting on Kos's back, Penney's back, or any of the other player's backs, is not going to help right now. Penney needs someone like Jos or Bullen to put an arm around his shoulder and try to help him rediscover his good form. On current form we should perhaps be looking back at our young wingers and seeing if they can defend a bit when required, because at the moment penney is not get forward fast enough, not crossing the ball often enough and not getting back and defending fast enough, so should not really be allowed to carry on playing that way.

I am sure that he will get back to playing well again, but he is not the only one underperforming at the moment. They all need to get back to their best if we are going to have a go at finishing in the top half and avoid relegation battles like Tuesday night's. 

1 minute ago, Slogboy said:

Agree but at villa he was left of a back 5 not like Tuesday where he was played LM/CM

If you listen to what Jos has been telling us, he is trying to get the players to adapt their positions and style of play dynamically. Playing with 5 at the back, effectively using your full backs as wing backs, is a pretty simple way of doing that, because you can alternate playing one further forward, depending which one is under most pressure from the oppositions forwards/wing backs, or 5 at the back when under pressure, or hopefully, against teams like Bolton, with your wing backs further down the pitch, to assist the forward line by stretching the opposition's defence and hopefully getting some crosses in. Did Jos stop Penney from doing that on Tuesday? I don't think so. Would Jos choose a game against bottom of the division Bolton at home to shackle Penney from going forward? Again I dont think so, not when he got forward and looked to get forward so much more against Villa and in other games. I think Penney, the same as half the team, just had a poor game.

There are loads of possible explanations and a mate at work suggested that the stomach bug that went through our place recently, or one of the flu bugs that a few others at work have gone down with could account for a couple of bad performances from several of our players and you never get told stuff like that in the press.

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

If you listen to what Jos has been telling us, he is trying to get the players to adapt their positions and style of play dynamically. Playing with 5 at the back, effectively using your full backs as wing backs, is a pretty simple way of doing that, because you can alternate playing one further forward, depending which one is under most pressure from the oppositions forwards/wing backs, or 5 at the back when under pressure, or hopefully, against teams like Bolton, with your wing backs further down the pitch, to assist the forward line by stretching the opposition's defence and hopefully getting some crosses in. Did Jos stop Penney from doing that on Tuesday? I don't think so. Would Jos choose a game against bottom of the division Bolton at home to shackle Penney from going forward? Again I dont think so, not when he got forward and looked to get forward so much more against Villa and in other games. I think Penney, the same as half the team, just had a poor game.

There are loads of possible explanations and a mate at work suggested that the stomach bug that went through our place recently, or one of the flu bugs that a few others at work have gone down with could account for a couple of bad performances from several of our players and you never get told stuff like that in the press.

But he didn’t play him as a wing back on Tuesday, he played him in midfield.

Jos would be far better off sticking to the basics and getting them right instead of changing things too often and asking players to do things they aren’t capable of.

It’s basic football management, you give the players the best possible chance of having a good game by keeping it simple, especially in a struggling team.

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Don't talk b0llox, he was great first two months of the season, his form had dipped along with the teams and the poisonous fans. Clearly weren't at Villa.

I agree Penney when he first came into the side really excited me he was excellent but his form hasn't dipped its fallen off a cliff 

He was every bit as poor Fox was against Derby and was deservedly taken off and do me a favour about playing out of position he was played in a position he apparently knows well 

5 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

A couple of decent performance and he’s a future star that we could sell for millions. 

:manager:

A couple of poor performances and he’s useless and never going to be good enough. 

:carlos:

Lets just give him time to develop. He’s going to have his ups and downs this year. Hopefully by the end of this season he’s cemented his position in the team ready for next season.

He's neither of those things 

He's a very promising talent having to learn in a very tough league but that doesn't give him a free pass when he plays really poorly 

47 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I agree Penney when he first came into the side really excited me he was excellent but his form hasn't dipped its fallen off a cliff 

He was every bit as poor Fox was against Derby and was deservedly taken off and do me a favour about playing out of position he was played in a position he apparently knows well 

So what is this position he knows so well?

21 hours ago, oldishowl said:

So what is this position he knows so well?

He plays all down the left hand side and has done for most of his junior career. As for him playing as a central midfielder, you have not quite grasped that the shapes and formations change during the game, subject to what's going on. Penney started off on the left and for me went inside too often, did not chase the ball up the line the way he normally does when playing well and generally had a bad game. I personally think he was avoiding the ball more often than not, but considering the stick that a lot of the players have had to put up with lately i am not surprised if he does. The main problem that comes with playing young players in a bad side is the risk of ruining young players confidence. Hopefully things will pick up a bit now, the fans will get back behind the team at home and the points will start to pile up, Maybe we will see more of Penney, preston etc then and they can play with a bit more confidence and freedom.

Fox has also had a few bad games and despite being asked or told by somebody on, or off the field, to cover for other defenders in the middle and even on the right side of the pitch for some corners and free kicks, he was not playing as a central defender or a right back, he was just doing what he had been asked to do during certain passages of play. 

17 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

He plays all down the left hand side and has done for most of his junior career. As for him playing as a central midfielder, you have not quite grasped that the shapes and formations change during the game, subject to what's going on. Penney started off on the left and for me went inside too often, did not chase the ball up the line the way he normally does when playing well and generally had a bad game. I personally think he was avoiding the ball more often than not, but considering the stick that a lot of the players have had to put up with lately i am not surprised if he does. The main problem that comes with playing young players in a bad side is the risk of ruining young players confidence. Hopefully things will pick up a bit now, the fans will get back behind the team at home and the points will start to pile up, Maybe we will see more of Penney, preston etc then and they can play with a bit more confidence and freedom.

Fox has also had a few bad games and despite being asked or told by somebody on, or off the field, to cover for other defenders in the middle and even on the right side of the pitch for some corners and free kicks, he was not playing as a central defender or a right back, he was just doing what he had been asked to do during certain passages of play. 

I have grasped perfectly well the position Jos asked him to play on Tuesday and it wasn’t wide on the left hand side so don’t be so condescending.

I have seen several more senior players being asked by Jos to play  the same position and while they have usually made a better job of it , it is not easy to do.

Just so you know.

First half Tuesday we lined up in a 4231 formation with Penney on the left hand side of the 3.

His job was to help Thornily on the left, help Joey and Bannan in the middle and when possible get forward and join up with Fletcher.

As I said a tough job. 

Interestingly when we bought FF on to replace him we let him stay wide

• Haha 1