1 minute ago, Theboylangers said:

Everyone on here seems to be happy with Hector and to some extent Onomah when he plays. Why are they unspectacular? 

Are they spectacular? Then that's why they are unspectacular. Thought that was quite straightforward. I'm not knocking them by the way; I think they were good and much needed signings given our resources. 

Guest Theboylangers
17 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Are they spectacular? Then that's why they are unspectacular. Thought that was quite straightforward. I'm not knocking them by the way; I think they were good and much needed signings given our resources. 

I think they are as good as we're going to get under the current regime. I can think of a few sides in this division that would be happy to have both in their team. But that's a different debate. 

16 hours ago, poite said:

As if our brain dead owner would have anywhere the intelligence to get megson 

AS IF Megson a man capable of promoting a club from this league and understanding this club would be able to work with this owner 

Megson took us from 12th to 15th in League One in his first half season after taking over from Alan Irvine, and that was without the kind of injury crisis which is crippling our current squad.

He got us moving in the right direction again, but not until he'd been given a full pre-season to shift out some players and bring in his own men - a luxury not yet afforded to Luhukay.

Anyone who thinks he'd parachute into the Hillsborough hotseat, instantly have the players eating out of the palm of his hand and get our woefully imbalanced and injury-ravaged squad shooting up the table is viewing his tenure through rose-tinted spectacles, I'm afraid.

15 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Routine reply for someone who doesn't agree, but it seems you wanted to shoehorn 'self indulgent' in there as displaying some kind of wisdom as it makes little sense otherwise.

Should he have used someone else's? :huh:

Many are losing their sh*t at losing three in a row over the last few days. What's the difference? But you must agree it's difficult to make a case for Megson's genius considering how his tenure ended?

Why is 'pride and passion' (or getting angry and shouting a lot) so consistently used as some sort of precursor to success? Loads of managers have been successful without taking that approach and plenty have failed by following it. It is absolutely irrelevant.

But even as Luhukay struggles with the horrendous mess he inherited, the almost non-existent budget and being forced to rely on so many Academy players, why is it "clearly" not working just ten days after we were remarkably in the playoff positions?

didn't megson's tenure end with the defeat of the pigs?

how many times have we beat the pigs since then?

i do think jos' 'silent movie' routine leaves us short of something, for me, if you have a softly spoken man at the helm, you need an enforcer (mouthpiece) at his right hand.

15 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Can't agree more you don't win games and get out of this division playing tippy tappy football, this is the championship, its a battle, a scrap, there's no time or space on the ball. Our problem is we Don thave the character in the side to do this. 

nor the players, we're short of solid defenders, combative midfielders, and have a selection of forwards that in general don't suit the type of game needed to exit this division.

i don't know if we can count hooper anymore, whatever big dave was doing last backend, he's gone back to the 'marksman' he was before his 'golden spell', joao is very hit and miss, and more miss than hit, fletcher not as prolific as you'd have wanted for £40kpw, ff to shortly hit the exit i assume. we lack running the channels off the ball, we lack cut and thrust, we lack a menacing look.

our side was built, and equipped for tiptap, drag yourself down the field, making almost endless numbers or meaningless passes, before reaching their box to find the opposition set in defensive positions, then when thwarted turn back and pass to the half way line and do the whole thing over again, eventually with 4 men working another over complicated move on one of our flanks the ball gets crossed to the one man we have in their box surrounded by 3,4, or 5 of theirs, or we get it to forestieri hoping he'll do something magical (and that shows in the results when he's out of the side).

12 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So as far as you are concerned Luhukay should have been able to take the side that was tumbling down the league, with an almost ever present injury list of significant proportions and rumours of all kinds (some of which may have substance) about issues outside of his control and be able to turn them into a great team with £350,000 and a couple of unspectacular loans?

I think what is upsetting people most was last season with the bare bones, he came in, got us fitter, organised us and made us solid, stable and hard to beat... 

This season we're all over the place, disorganised and about as solid as a paper flood defence, thats the problem. I know he's not really been able to buy anyone, but he's almost the same core players from last season yet very often we look rudderless  Hector hasn't done a bad job all in all, Joey does what he does, but Dosent get enough help defencivly and is often swamped. 

It seems like our other foreign coach he can't see the two things we've been missing for 4seasons now, leadership and a strong physical midfielder, which if we couldn't buy, we should have been looking to loan in. 

12 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So as far as you are concerned Luhukay should have been able to take the side that was tumbling down the league, with an almost ever present injury list of significant proportions and rumours of all kinds (some of which may have substance) about issues outside of his control and be able to turn them into a great team with £350,000 and a couple of unspectacular loans?

We've still got the core players from last year he had available, minus loovens who was injured most of the time and venancio, plus 2 Premier league loans in this season. The problem I have with him at the moment is he's managed to undo all the good work from the back end of last season going overboard with  chopping, changing, tinkering and rotating everything, style, formation, tactics, players. Its no wonder we look like a Sunday league side defencivly most of the time and cannot buy a clean sheet at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

We've still got the core players from last year he had available, minus loovens who was injured most of the time and venancio, plus 2 Premier league loans in this season. The problem I have with him at the moment is he's managed to undo all the good work from the back end of last season going overboard with  chopping, changing, tinkering and rotating everything, style, formation, tactics, players. Its no wonder we look like a Sunday league side defencivly most of the time and cannot buy a clean sheet at the moment. 

Your last two posts make some very valid points.

He is trying to make us more tactically adaptable, and I applaud him for that. But I wonder if he's going at that much too quickly. It also seems to me that he's trying to keep everyone in the squad as happy as he can by making sure they get a game fairly regularly. As you say, this may come at a price when it comes to consistency.

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Your last two posts make some very valid points.

He is trying to make us more tactically adaptable, and I applaud him for that. But I wonder if he's going at that much too quickly. It also seems to me that he's trying to keep everyone in the squad as happy as he can by making sure they get a game fairly regularly. As you say, this may come at a price when it comes to consistency.

Exactly and cohesion and teamwork comes hand in hand with familiarity of who your playing alongside and formation/style every week... 

Remember our back 5 when we were keeping clean sheets, same every week unless injuries occurred, maybe the odd one change, same with the midfield. 

I do agree sometimes players get jaded and need a rest, but not after every game they've played in.