The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

20 minutes ago, paullie said:

Anyone any idea as to why the stadium was build at an angle and not parallel with either Vere Road or Penistone Road ?

There used to be houses on the stadium side of Penistone Road, where the club shop & car park entrance is now situated. Maybe it had to be built at that angle to avoid the houses.

1 hour ago, paullie said:

Anyone any idea as to why the stadium was build at an angle and not parallel with either Vere Road or Penistone Road ?

It was done deliberately so Stephen McPhail didn’t get too tired runnng across to take corners. 

• Haha 1

On 14/10/2018 at 16:22, LSOwls said:

Neepsend for me.

Near Hillsborough; closer to town, next to Kelham Island. I think after the tram-train trial that the rail track will be re-opened to Stocksbridge with a stop at Kelham Island.

Neepsend Road.png

If we had to move this could work. 

2 hours ago, Concrete Owl said:

It's also just across the river from the former Presto Tools site that was earmarked for an SWFC community facility under Milan. Could be used for parking, corporate, retail or food outlets.

Edited by mogbad

2 hours ago, Concrete Owl said:

1658844003_NeepsendRoad.png.13a1430574f87d0c659082a9361c56da.png

I agree - it's probably the only location that would retain some link to Hillsborough. 

The proposed mixed-use re-development around Kelham, Neepsend and the former ski-village would complement the club, and i'd expect some form of leisure complex to shortly be announced for the thousands on new residential units that have already been built and are due to start. The area on the jcn of Penistone Road/Rutland Road is prime for this.

It's still near the tram line and just by the north relief road from the parkway for incoming fan traffic, which would be needed as part of the planning application.

Far better location than the east end of Sheffield.

5 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Its not a bad location if we were to leave (which I hope we never will) for being more central, within a community rather than a business park.

Traffic / parking would be terrible though which is already a congested area.

I doubt the council would back it either with this area becoming a more sort after residential and cultural area.

Parking must be difficult for new sites - i wonder what the ratio is based on the proposed capacity. there must be some sort of formula which the planners/highway dept would expect - for e.g . 1 space/per 10 fans based on say 40,000 capacity i.e. 4,000 spaces. As i said the tram will soften the requirements i expect. Having said this, not sure if Derby's ground actually has any designated parking areas?

On 14/10/2018 at 20:49, OWLERTON GHOST said:

This can be done and has been done (and now dusted!!)

As I'm sure quite a few on here are aware Athletico Madrid did just this (over the road thingymajig) 4 lanes , just like Penistone Road really 

Note the river over the back.

Reckon had that not been there they would have gone back further ...

Second  photo is stock issue..

First  is off my phone 2 year ago whilst I was doing some work there ...

That road is really busy-  almost "motorwayesque" 

20170601_094726.jpg

vicentecalderon4_0.jpg

I've always liked the idea of the tunnel under the stand, but presumably in our case the junction with Herries Road would make it a bit more complex. With Atletico's stand they don't have a junction or buildings on the other side of the road to take into consideration.

34 minutes ago, Animis said:

Parking must be difficult for new sites - i wonder what the ratio is based on the proposed capacity. there must be some sort of formula which the planners/highway dept would expect - for e.g . 1 space/per 10 fans based on say 40,000 capacity i.e. 4,000 spaces. As i said the tram will soften the requirements i expect. Having said this, not sure if Derby's ground actually has any designated parking areas?

According to google DC has these designated parking areas although it doesn't say how many cars they hold 

Leaving-Routes-Map-1-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 14/10/2018 at 16:22, LSOwls said:

Neepsend for me.

Near Hillsborough; closer to town, next to Kelham Island. I think after the tram-train trial that the rail track will be re-opened to Stocksbridge with a stop at Kelham Island.

Neepsend Road.png

The railway line up to Stocksbridge is not up to the standard to carry passenger trains . Also it`s only a single line only used once a day by the steel train runing from Rotherham to Foxes in Stocksbridge. It would require a multi million pound upgrade the track . Plus , the track up here is used to stack the steel trailers ready to be picked up by the train. 

6 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

According to google DC has these designated parking areas although it doesn't say how many cars they hold 

Leaving-Routes-Map-1-2.jpg

Looking at that, they seem to rely on Derby arena for most of the parking - The arena was built 15 years or so after their ground.

Christ, many teams get into the prem with crappy little stadiums like Bournemouth, Norwich, Huddersfield etc. Hillsborough would grace the prem in its current state just because it has history and isn't a horrible industrial estate bowl like Sunderland, boro etc

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

The railway line up to Stocksbridge is not up to the standard to carry passenger trains . Also it`s only a single line only used once a day by the steel train runing from Rotherham to Foxes in Stocksbridge. It would require a multi million pound upgrade the track . Plus , the track up here is used to stack the steel trailers ready to be picked up by the train. 

Full blown passenger trains maybe not, but it could certainly be upgraded quickly to provide a tram link, that's how Manchester did theirs.

4 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I've always liked the idea of the tunnel under the stand, but presumably in our case the junction with Herries Road would make it a bit more complex. With Atletico's stand they don't have a junction or buildings on the other side of the road to take into consideration.

Totally agree Phil...

There's also the horrible threat of terrorism to factor in ..

Thought of 25k sat in a stand 

With a couple of Artic- load of gelly going off under doesn't bear thinking about !! 

It's another disaster waiting to happen ..

Makes you wonder if Athletico 

factored that risk for a reason for relocation? 

Non starter in our case I think ?

Looks great though .....

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Full blown passenger trains maybe not, but it could certainly be upgraded quickly to provide a tram link, that's how Manchester did theirs.

I walk my dogs down the line daily mate ,and its had that much hammer from the steel train , it would need a total new track laying , also it isnt wide enough in most places to make it a double track line ,so it would only allow a limited service of one tram on it at any one time. 

29 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I walk my dogs down the line daily mate ,and its had that much hammer from the steel train , it would need a total new track laying , also it isnt wide enough in most places to make it a double track line ,so it would only allow a limited service of one tram on it at any one time. 

Not saying it'll happen next year, but It's going to happen sooner or later.

The climate issues are going to force cars off the road and governments will have to invest in mass transit systems. Using the old railways is an easy way of getting this going and because trams are light rail, they are easier and cheaper to construct/maintain than standard rail lines.