The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I'm also on the Kop. I sit in the corner because the leg room is so bad elsewhere - if I dont go to the toilet just before half time then get in the queue as soon as I come out for a coffee - I miss the start of the second half

Although I must admit that situation has totally changed since they went entirely contactless payment - as nobody bothers with half time drinks and food now.

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

£100m??

Who’s doing the work, same lad that did the Shard?

Purely a guesstimate Vulva but realistically can anyone in the trade put a cost on it? When you look at what other clubs are spending on new stands /grounds etc. am I so far off the mark?

Just now, Utah Owl said:

Purely a guesstimate Vulva but realistically can anyone in the trade put a cost on it? When you look at what other clubs are spending on new stands /grounds etc. am I so far off the mark?

You can pay anything for a stadium.

A billion dollars for Wembley?

A new build without a moving roof in the north of England would be around the 50 mill mark.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

You can pay anything for a stadium.

A billion dollars for Wembley?

A new build without a moving roof in the north of England would be around the 50 mill mark.

So in that case how much to flatten the West Stand and NWC then build new on the basis described above (all totally enclosed with flexible segregation 3 tiers, executive boxes and capacity of 12-15k)? Then do same again for the Kop.

Guest Grez Bez

It's hard to be critical of something you love but if you have a business brain and use your head over your heart its hard to make a case for redevelopment if we are to go the whole hog.

There is however plenty of scope to redevelop and do a decent job. The hill behind the kop can be built out and the roof extended to Penistone road (4 stories). there is loads of space behind the West & south stands and enough space behind the North to improve facilities.

3 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

It's hard to be critical of something you love but if you have a business brain and use your head over your heart its hard to make a case for redevelopment if we are to go the whole hog.

There is however plenty of scope to redevelop and do a decent job. The hill behind the kop can be built out and the roof extended to Penistone road (4 stories). there is loads of space behind the West & south stands and enough space behind the North to improve facilities.

If we had/have a true visionary in charge, just think what could be done if the land on the east side of Penistone Road (old Wednesdayite car park and other buildings) could be acquired.

Edited by Utah Owl

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

So in that case how much to flatten the West Stand and NWC then build new on the basis described above (all totally enclosed with flexible segregation 3 tiers, executive boxes and capacity of 12-15k)? Then do same again for the Kop.

I think the world cup revamp..as envisioned by Lee could be achieved for 25-30 million.

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I think the world cup revamp..as envisioned by Lee could be achieved for 25-30 million.

Maybe, but wasn't it going to cost that 10 years ago? Also, not talking a bout a revamp but a total rebuild of the two ends of the ground.

Put it this way if it can be done for the cost you suggest, what is Chansiri mucking about at? He's spaffed almost that much on players and wages that are no good to the team (misfits or crocks), and the redevelopment of the ground adds to the overall value of the club should it come to be sold.

Edited by Utah Owl

39 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

80% of the area behind the turnstiles is open to the elements

The 2 main areas serving alcohol to fans are open to the elements, including the new area which has expanded into the South Stand car park

The toilet facilities are from the 1950s, and there is no hot water in any of them (in breach of Building Regulations that states that hot water must be provided ‘to any washbasin in, or adjacent to, a room containing a sanitary convenience')

50% of the toilet facilities only provide cold water at (at maximum) a trickle

There are only 4 small catering outlets to provide for 11,200 people.

The largest concourse was funded by supporters - and is entirely unsuitable for standing in due to the queues to the busiest bar (which is also the area where people exit the gents toilets and have to fight their way through the same queues)

A large proportion of the seats in the stand are listed as 'Restricted View' due to the posts in the way

Theres a bloody tree growing in the muck behind the stand

Other than in the corner sections leg room is very restricted

The area immediately behind the turnstiles gets very congested - especially as 3 of the 4 catering outlets use the same area.

There are only 4 main gangways for entry/exit

Thats for starters.

Have you ever been to an away match ???

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Maybe, but wasn't it going to cost that 10 years ago? Also, not talking a bout a revamp but a total rebuild of the two ends of the ground.

Put it this way if it can be done for the cost you suggest, what is Chansiri mucking about at? He's spaffed almost that much on players and wages that are no good to the team (misfits or crocks), and the redevelopment of the ground adds to the overall value of the club should it come to be sold.

And here Leon lies the rub.

If you run a business properly you can sell two of your best players and get a dream ground...debt free.

Football is crazy.

11 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

If we had/have a true visionary in charge, just think what could be done if the land on the east side of Penistone Road (old Wednesdayite car park and other buildings) could be acquired.

Generally agree with most of your posts/sentiments but those “true visionary’s” are few and far between pal

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

And here Leon lies the rub.

If you run a business properly you can sell two of your best players and get a dream ground...debt free.

Football is crazy.

Possibly, but given modern day costs for doing the job properly I doubt it. Having said that everyone needs to remember that the best players don't always make the best team.

Going back to actual costs, Brighton spent 93 million on the Amex (so probably 100 million if starting today), even Toytown spent 20 million on New York according to t'internet.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
3 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Have you ever been to an away match ???

Ive watched us on over 100 away grounds.

I can't think of one in the Championship or above that comes to mind immediately that has worse facilities than our Kop.

Maybe Brentford and QPR (but they do still have their concourses under cover)

But away ends are not relevant - we are talking the home end. For home supporters

45 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

80% of the area behind the turnstiles is open to the elements

The 2 main areas serving alcohol to fans are open to the elements, including the new area which has expanded into the South Stand car park

The toilet facilities are from the 1950s, and there is no hot water in any of them (in breach of Building Regulations that states that hot water must be provided ‘to any washbasin in, or adjacent to, a room containing a sanitary convenience')

50% of the toilet facilities only provide cold water at (at maximum) a trickle

There are only 4 small catering outlets to provide for 11,200 people.

The largest concourse was funded by supporters - and is entirely unsuitable for standing in due to the queues to the busiest bar (which is also the area where people exit the gents toilets and have to fight their way through the same queues)

A large proportion of the seats in the stand are listed as 'Restricted View' due to the posts in the way

Theres a bloody tree growing in the muck behind the stand

Other than in the corner sections leg room is very restricted

The area immediately behind the turnstiles gets very congested - especially as 3 of the 4 catering outlets use the same area.

There are only 4 main gangways for entry/exit

Thats for starters.

Eat and go to the loo before you get to the game.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’d be all for flattening Hillsborough and moving to a new stadium that is fit for the modern age tbh 

Where?

Name one site in Sheffield that would be big enough to accommodate a fit for purpose stadium capable of hosting EPL matches that has the transport links, plenty of space for parking, won't alienate a lot of the existing fanbase by forcing them to travel further from home, is commercially attractive and isn't at risk of flooding and more importantly is available!

Edited by Utah Owl

28 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

To properly redevelop Hillsborough is going to cost c 100 million at least if we are being realistic, but to build a new stadium, the costs would be astronomical. Just check out the situation that Spurs now find themselves in with costs fast approaching 1 billion. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/30/tottenham-reality-check-stadium-costs-escalate-mauricio-pochettino

As for the argument that work would not start until we are in the Premier League, this is where I have my doubts about DC's level of commitment. The way in which to redevelop the stadium with the minimum impact on gates and subsequent loss of income is to start the work now whilst we do not need the full capacity.

Take the current West Stand out of the equation and the capacity of Hillsborough falls to 32k (assuming the North and South Stands have the necessary remedial work done to bring them back up to full capacity. Allowing for segregation at the West end of either the North or South Stands to accommodate up to 2k away fans realistically the capacity could be kept at c30k overall with 28k for home fans. That is adequate for all bar maybe one or two games per season at Hillsborough.

From there start work on a phased development of the West Stand on the basis of a 12k three tier stand including the NWC joining on to the North Stand complete with exec suites etc. (there is plenty of room there for this), then the lower tier could be done as phase 1 giving a capacity of c 4k+ after just one season, with the remaining work being completed the following year. Proper segregation facilities could easily be incorporated so that the new West Stand could accommodate c 8k home fans and up to 4k away fans with the design being flexible so that this could be varied later on in the EPL for really large crowds. Once the West Stand is done you can redevelop the Kop end on the same basis 3 tiers accommodating c.15k fans with exec boxes and everything opening the lower tier quickly then moving onto the rest.

This would mean that the ground could be redeveloped to bring capacity up to c 47k without the need for overall capacity during redevelopment to drop below 30-32k. Further development re corners, back of North Stand etc could take place later as necessary, but the site overall can easily accommodate a 52-55k capacity stadium. Infrastructure is of course another matter because these days people don't use public transport the way they did 30/40/50years ago, but a change in that direction is inevitably coming and regardless of where we end up infrastructure is always going to be an issue. 

What it needs is for the owner to show the same commitment and faith in our long term prospects as a club that the fans do. Sadly I fear that the sole motivation is money and for that reason it will not happen as and when it should.

Spot on.

The lack of any redevelopment since DC's arrival tells me he's either not here for the long haul, already decided relocation is the way to go or doesn't have the funding he says he has & needs Premiership income to fund either option.

I would have also thought that he would have bust a gut to buy the Wednesdayite car park etc triangle if he wanted to redevelop Hillsborough. For me that would be a must if he wanted to maximise commercial income from a redeveloped Hillsborough.