The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

8 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

If the Chairman really has got unlimited funds (as he suggests) he could do far worse than prepare us for the Prem with allowable stadium improvements now.  Infrastructure improvements make us a much more valuable asset - for when he sells us anyway.

That’s very true. It would be a huge investment but a real tangible one as opposed to playing staff. Manchester City has a massive leg up from the council but I’d be amazed if the Abu Dhabi royal family would have looked twice at them if they were still kicking about at Maine Road, Moss Side.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, Sonny said:

That’s very true. It would be a huge investment but a real tangible one as opposed to playing staff. Manchester City has a massive leg up from the council but I’d be amazed if the Abu Dhabi royal family would have looked twice at them if they were still kicking about at Maine Road, Moss Side.

Exactly

We have to move on from the 1980s

4 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I agree with the above and is a compelling case why Derby moved. Hillsborough isn’t the baseball ground though.

Hillsborough is long overdue redevelopment but it can give you almost everything you want from a new stadium without selling yet more of our history and traditions to chase the dream. I’m not advocating for one second that we should stand still but I as I’ve said previously I don’t want to watch my football in a sterile flag waving artificial atmosphere.

We could redevelop Hillsborough and make it a place to be proud of and not following the identikit route that so many others have followed.

Well said that man.  Encore 

• Thanks 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole
9 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I agree with the above and is a compelling case why Derby moved. Hillsborough isn’t the baseball ground though.

Hillsborough is long overdue redevelopment but it can give you almost everything you want from a new stadium without selling yet more of our history and traditions to chase the dream. I’m not advocating for one second that we should stand still but I as I’ve said previously I don’t want to watch my football in a sterile flag waving artificial atmosphere.

We could redevelop Hillsborough and make it a place to be proud of and not following the identikit route that so many others have followed.

Totally agree (as I outlined a number of pages back)

Knock the Kop and West down to the floor and rebuild totally - go out backwards from the North and give it the concourse spaces it deserves on 2 levels - with restaurants and boxes at the very top level removing probably 10 rows of seats to accomodate - and buiild the clubs offices, shops and new modern changing rooms etc in the new Kop development too. With the tunnel relocated to the Kop/North or Kop/South corner

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Hopefully before promotion as we need this infrastructure in place before we get promoted - and while the ground is never more than 2/3 full

41 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Disagree.

Someone was always bound to take over them to challenge Man Utds Manchester monopoly eventually.

Emptyhad or not.

15 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Totally agree (as I outlined a number of pages back)

Knock the Kop and West down to the floor and rebuild totally - go out backwards from the North and give it the concourse spaces it deserves on 2 levels - with restaurants and boxes at the very top level removing probably 10 rows of seats to accomodate - and buiild the clubs offices, shops and new modern changing rooms etc in the new Kop development too. With the tunnel relocated to the Kop/North or Kop/South corner

Easy this spending other peoples money init.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Only stand I'd keep at Hillsborough is the South. Rest for me could be knocked down and rebuilt.

The other three have their massive flaws, despite the fact that two of them could be seen as wonders of the footballing world.

2?

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Disagree.

Someone was always bound to take over them to challenge Man Utds Manchester monopoly eventually.

Emptyhad or not.

Maybe, maybe not. Although in 92/93 Man United won their first title in 25 years. A full 14 years before the Thais bought Man City. Or just 4 years after they moved to a new stadium. If it was always going to happen then they sure took their time.

11 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Easy this spending other peoples money init.

Yes isnt it. Renovating and rebuilding is always generally more expensive than building from scratch. Building afresh you can also build how you want it and there are generally less constraints, some forced on you by existing design.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Maybe, maybe not. Although in 92/93 Man United won their first title in 25 years. A full 14 years before the Thais bought Man City. Or just 4 years after they moved to a new stadium. If it was always going to happen then they sure took their time.

Just cos summats bound to happen doesn't mean it happens straight away lol

Who's to say the Arabs didn't want the club back in 2000? Highly unlikely since City would have been in Div 2 but still.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Yes isnt it. Renovating and rebuilding is always generally more expensive than building from scratch. Building afresh you can also build how you want it and there are generally less constraints, some forced on you by existing design.

Yeah much less expensive, if we disregard the fact that it would cost us nearly 200m in today's money to buy a complete new ground and 50m or so to get our home up to scratch.

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Totally agree on the North but - what is it about the Kop that makes it 'a wonder of the footballing world'?? lol

10 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just cos summats bound to happen doesn't mean it happens straight away lol

Who's to say the Arabs didn't want the club back in 2000? Highly unlikely since City would have been in Div 2 but still.

Yeah as I said, maybe maybe not. You’re the one that’s certain. I’m just looking at the fact that nobody came in when they were at Maine Road then within a few years of moving to a state of the art stadium they’d already had two billionaire owners. If it suits to ignore that then no worries at all.