£45million for Andy Sinton? How much these Sheffield Wednesday signings would cost in today’s money

I recall the Sinton deal - where we beat off Souness at Liverpool - as Francis wanted a left winger and tiny Andy was brilliant on QPR's tight pitch.

Got to Hillsborough, and he was knackered before reaching halfway line, especially on our slope from Kop end.

We were lucky to get shut for similar money paid.

1 minute ago, fred mciver said:

I recall the Sinton deal - where we beat off Souness at Liverpool - as Francis wanted a left winger and tiny Andy was brilliant on QPR's tight pitch.

Got to Hillsborough, and he was knackered before reaching halfway line, especially on our slope from Kop end.

Over the years when this guy's name popped up on here  I always grimace because I genuinely think it was a shocking mistake and waste of money and that's where the rot set in 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Over the years when this guy's name popped up on here  I always grimace because I genuinely think it was a shocking mistake and waste of money and that's where the rot set in 

Think you maybe right mate as we haven't had scouting or academy infrastructure or to progress much.

Struggling to think of last player we sold for a big, big profit.

18 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

I thought it was Arsenal we beat to his signature?

At least that was what was all over the newpapers picturing Sinton holding 2 guns i.e a swipe at the Gunners.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I thought it was Arsenal we beat to his signature?

At least that was what was all over the newpapers picturing Sinton holding 2 guns i.e a swipe at the Gunners.

Yes, it was definitely 100% Arsenal.

I wish they'd beaten us to his signature, we could have bought Trevor Sinclair instead for a fraction of the fee, like QPR did to replace him...