£45million for Andy Sinton? How much these Sheffield Wednesday signings would cost in today’s money

31 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes, it was definitely 100% Arsenal.

I wish they'd beaten us to his signature, we could have bought Trevor Sinclair instead for a fraction of the fee, like QPR did to replace him...

I'd sent a scout report recommending   Sinclair to the club  not 4 months before we winged Sinton. 

At that time we could have got him for around £300k. 

But managers and players like a marquee signing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd sent a scout report recommending   Sinclair to the club  not 4 months before we winged Sinton. 

At that time we could have got him for around £300k. 

But managers and players like a marquee signing.

Did you scout for the club Snoots? 

7 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Did you scout for the club Snoots? 

Not officially. Just one of a number of people who recommended players they had seen who might be worth taking another look at

Goater who at that stage was a young midfield player released by Man Utd.  Went to Rotherham. There's a lot. Not all good.

Clubs would send their own people to look on a recommendation or not. 

Different now. Chairman just see which players have the longest threads on forums!:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

His cross at Wimbledon away after skinning about three defenders was ace tho

I think his debut was away at Newcastle live on sky. We lost 4-2 but didn't he score two great goals? He looked ace that night but he rarely performed like that imo. 

5 hours ago, fred mciver said:

I recall the Sinton deal - where we beat off Souness at Liverpool - as Francis wanted a left winger and tiny Andy was brilliant on QPR's tight pitch.

Got to Hillsborough, and he was knackered before reaching halfway line, especially on our slope from Kop end.

We were lucky to get shut for similar money paid.

We also pipped Arsenal for him.

we were also after Trevor Sinclair as a fall-back from Blackpool. Would have been £750,000. QPR signed him to replace Sinton.

in hindsight, we should have gone in for Sinclair

• Thanks 1

the report Is out of context with where the game was at the time but prob not far off with where the games gone financially.

imagine today someone like palace having England’s left winger in their mid 20s and selling him to someone like Everton...

would Everton pay £45m - probably.

1 hour ago, Eastern said:

we were also after Trevor Sinclair as a fall-back from Blackpool. Would have been £750,000. QPR signed him to replace Sinton.

wasn't just hindsight, many of us thought sinclair was a better future prospect 

6 hours ago, Eastern said:

Also linked with Collymore from Southend at a similar time for about £1m I think. I think we signed Bright instead.