£45million for Andy Sinton? How much these Sheffield Wednesday signings would cost in today’s money

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Also linked with Collymore from Southend at a similar time for about £1m I think. I think we signed Bright instead.

Prob a good move. Bright scored an awful lot of important goals for us. Wasn’t as disruptive as Collymore.

Bright must be one of Wednesday’s best bargain signings of the past 50 years.

Just now, Eastern said:

Prob a good move. Bright scored an awful lot of important goals for us. Wasn’t as disruptive as Collymore.

I agree with this. I think Mark Bright is a really underrated player in our history. Between 93-95 he completely carried the team. Everyone else was injured.

4 minutes ago, Eastern said:

Yep- underrated at the time. As always, quite a few were fixitated by his perceived lack of pace, but the number of times he created one on ones for himself by shaping and timing his runs across the opposition's back four was unreal.

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Yep- underrated at the time. As always, quite a few were fixitated by his perceived lack of pace, but the number of times he created one on ones for himself by shaping and timing his runs across the opposition's back four was unreal.

Bright was a great player for Wednesday. 

Always bumped down the list and ended up back in the team.

more than one occasion where he came back in having been seemingly replaced - scored goals - and stayed in.

chelsea away 1993, Ipswich away 95 and Everton away 96 spring to mind.

3 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Also linked with Collymore from Southend at a similar time for about £1m I think. I think we signed Bright instead.

From memory, we were interested in Collymore after he impressed TF in our 2-0 victory against Southend in the FA Cup. Bright was already with us

I think we ended up not expressing any further interest after the form of Warhust up front. We went into the 93/94 season with Bright, Hirst, Warhurst, Jemson and Watson as our strike force for that season. Warhurst then signed for Blackburn in September of that season, Hirst was in and out of the team due to injury but Watson and Bright formed a decent partnership up front. 

Collymore signed for Forest for 2 million during that pre season. 

But back on topic with Sinton, I think he was a target for us in the 91/92 season as well since he was a player Francis highly thought of (think he signed him for QPR). In the end, I think he continued with Worthington and King on the left side. 

I love inflation calculatiors.

Digress off topic:

If you want a ‘laugh’, go to the Bank of England inflation calculator site. Put in the average house price in 1979 (£26k) and look at what prices should be today, if house prices tracked general inflation...

Then do the same for football transfers. Barmy.

Edited by pussface