Most Long balls 2018/19?

Guest Kagoshimaowl

All people are worried about with these stats are Blunts having some more ammunition.  I personally couldn’t give a crap! We’re playing well and winning games. That’s all I care about!

8 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Ahem...

Incidentally, long balls are anything over 20 yards, not including corners, goal kicks or free kicks.  

Untitled.png.8be3f2946293122f165cd6b871cf3d2c.png

58f0fd66c1fdd_HeresToMe!.png.c3f9ea267aab04b130cb18e1aaa45b3e.png.15be825c1494b4b5c3153482b2c35392.png

According to our overall stats that means one in five is ‘long’ and our accuracy stats are decent too. Crossing accuracy not so good but hopefully this improves! 77CD4B11-B9C1-4A86-9F2A-E6F5B613FD6D.thumb.jpeg.953c7f1063fad8ea7a8ae1f760aa0d24.jpeg

7 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

We need to bust it more often than not IMHO.

My team-talk yesterday to my U12s - “This season we will work on being more comfortable on the ball. Don’t hoof it under pressure. Look up, take your time, roll it to a colleague.”

Two minutes in, our full-back under pressure, big shout from another 12 year old “Get rid!”.

They hang on my every word.

• Haha 3

I am sure the stats for last season would have shown short passes. Did it show 99% were in our own half. 

I was genuinely bored during games last season 

Our defense, especially in a back four without the likes of van Aken and Hutch playing there, aren't technically good enough for a short passing game. Add on Bannan who likes the Hollywood ball, and it's no wonder we're playing a more direct game. Coupled with the lack of physicality and height generally in the squad, and our best option for adopting a style is to play a direct game, getting the ball into the opposition half, then having those quick one and two-touch interchanges with people like Bannan etc. pulling the strings.

I think we've started to see that in spells and hopefully will continue to do so as we get the players better coached. 

I don't trust these sort of stats.

I've twice seen teams who've statistically had one shot at goal and yet scored twice.  Even if it's an own goal, it's still a shot at goal.

And as for possession, when does a long pass that goes to the opposites, change from one team to another's possession.

The only stats that counts are goals.

And I have an O'Level in statistics from 1970, so there.  (cocking a snoot).

17 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What the stats fail to tell us is how many of those are aimless hoofs and how many are long passes.

With Bannan pinging the ball all over the place, I tend to think a decent chunk of ours fall into the latter category.

Hmm, I remember someone using stats as a form of fact to how our players were performing.

lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

Hmm, I remember someone using stats as a form of fact to how our players were performing.

lol

Stats / facts can help illuminate a discussion, but on their own they're often too blunt an instrument.

I'd only ever use them to add weight to my own subjective opinions, of course.

:stuwinky:

• Haha 1