Are we trusting him yet?

1 hour ago, Spencerowl said:

With three wins on the bounce this season after a slightly shakey start, and what seems to be universally accepted good end to last season is it really in jos we trust? 

Equally on the other hand are we one loss away from the knifes out? It was getting quite depressing reading on here upto the Millwall game (understandably) but are we now united behind the manager this season? 

Good post this.

It's not necessarily the results, which are good but we haven't yet 'done' a good team. I've been impressed by his management of the post Brentford situation.

He isn't there yet for me on 'trust' but another decent month and he will be.

Don't agree with him regarding Westwood and leaving forestieri out and was puzzled by his constant chopping and changing.

But he knows more than I do so I have to trust him.

He's always had a tough job because he hasn't been able to go out and assemble the squad he wants like previous manager's.

He's doing a good job with what he's been given.

I think the league is so strong this season that if we dont make the playoffs it might be harsh to say he failed.

He's got to have a couple of seasons at it.

He’s certainly sorted the discipline out it seems, but of a contrast isn’t it?

Sorting out the discipline is a big plus, as is the introduction of youth and improvements in fitness levels.

I think he's got more integrity than the previous imcumbent and he's inherited a lot of problems, which can't be fixed quickly. 

I'm not knocking him, 3 wins are 3 wins. But let's not go overboard.

2 Weeks ago we couldn't string 2 passes together at Brentford, so let's have a bit of perspective. 

UTO

Ah you noticed that. 

Hows the report coming along?

It's a report of "Two Halves"

I haven't completed either to be honest Spenny..

When it's finally completed there will be one or two suprises...

For now I'm not prepared to

"Let The Cat Out Of The Bag " just yet :stuwinky: 

• Haha 3

I like what he's doing and the way he's going about it.

At the moment he's winning games which will buy him time .

But make no bones about it, start losing some games and the wood will creak and the black and white thinkers will be out for him. 

As - amazingly-  they were after the first two games this season. 

There are many debates to be had.  He might not play the team some people want. He might not play the system some people want. He might not pick his best XI week after week after week. And these things will annoy people.  Whilever the team does well they'll hold themselves. But they will be waiting to jump him when we next taste defeat. That's the modern game. 

R5p9G94.gif.7bf101732d88eb954105580897846a33.gif.4a38511c10d94f5ec6d07f2e521f801c.gif

Long term is he what we need? 

None of us can know. None of us can successfully predict.

I hope he is because I like the way he goes about his business - quietly , professionally & and with little sign of the narcissism which seems to wrap most managers of the age. 

But that guarantees nothing. He'll also need some luck. All managers do. 

25 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

It's a report of "Two Halves"

I haven't completed either to be honest Spenny..

When it's finally completed there will be one or two suprises...

For now I'm not prepared to

"Let The Cat Out Of The Bag " just yet :stuwinky: 

Does it take you as long to write a report as it does to make a tshirt?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

I have been impressed with his off field vision, seems to see what most  fans do with regard to gaps in the squad and where we need to strengthen. 

He indicated a shift in reducing the squad age at the end of last season, so expected some casualties in our experienced players. Not popular with all but personally can buy into that vision.

My main issue was the reactive nature of team set up which seemed to confuse players,  we have now found a system and style of play the players are comfortable with, look much more competitive and picking up points .

Reflecting on the first few games, on the whole Jos has done well, pleased with league position, performances and recent results. 

Not had much to spend, but seems to recruit well, done an excellent job creating a sustainable pathway for academy players to play in the first team, we are starting to look like a team so on the whole, yes trust earned from me.

Not getting carried away, we have beaten three poor sides narrowly, and the next 6/7 games will give us a much better idea of our progress. 

That said, Jos appears to be up to speed with the championship now, certainly his own man when it comes to starting line ups(  despite many on here saying he is a yes man for DC), Not afraid to drop big name players, and wants work rate and commitment.  

I think if given time next summer to rebuild the squad without, huge wage commitments , next season could be our year.

The most pleasing thing for me is he has given the young players a chance, and more importantly players are actually improving under his management and coaching. My biggest argument against Carlos from early on was that there was no evidence of him improving players. Even good ones, ( This isnt hindsight, a check of my posts previously will show).

A huge turnaround in confidence in the last 12 days at SWFC, would be a massive boost if we could overturn Stoke in our next home game.

Well done Jos.

2 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

Do you think we can get playoffs with Jos? I’m still unsure myself but agree he has he team organised and the players do seem to want to play for him, which did seem lacking under Carlos. 

Playoffs? I think that’s the gauge, that’s how some fans will decide whether or not he’s good enough.

Personally I’d be happy with mid table given all the rubbish Jos had had to deal with. I get that some fans think we have a top six squad  so it would be perfectly normal for them to expect playoffs, I just don’t see it. I see us having a very good attack, an average midfield and a poor defence. 

Maybe, just maybe we’ve found a couple of players in Penney (the kid just looks a natural proper footballer to me) and Thorniley who can help solve the back line issues, it’s still early days and I’m sure there will be ups and downs with them but they both look utterly at ease with what’s being asked of them. 

The couple of new loan signings were well overdue and signings in positions that needed strengthening and it would appear from reports that they have attributes that we lack. What a refreshing change! 

I think there’s such a fine line between most teams in this division so I suppose owt is possible given a bit of organisation, team spirit and bit of luck 

That said, a couple of defeats on the spin and the knives will be out again.

Yes, I trust him. More importantly, I will continue to trust him when results turn against us. We're all on a bit of a high at the moment after 3 straight wins, but I'm realistic enough to see that the points have mostly come against 'weaker' sides and we've got much tougher challenges ahead. I've said before that it may take a couple of seasons to fully unwind ourselves from the mistakes of the last 2 or 3 years. Until we do, we're in a period of transition and I can see us scrapping for points rather than aiming for promotion. So I will continue to back Jos, recognising that making us a team fit for promotion is a longer term challenge which requires patience. There will be setbacks and I do worry that after a couple of bad results (bound to happen at some point) the boo-boys will be back. I won't be one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Yes, I trust him. More importantly, I will continue to trust him when results turn against us. We're all on a bit of a high at the moment after 3 straight wins, but I'm realistic enough to see that the points have mostly come against 'weaker' sides and we've got much tougher challenges ahead. I've said before that it may take a couple of seasons to fully unwind ourselves from the mistakes of the last 2 or 3 years. Until we do, we're in a period of transition and I can see us scrapping for points rather than aiming for promotion. So I will continue to back Jos, recognising that making us a team fit for promotion is a longer term challenge which requires patience. There will be setbacks and I do worry that after a couple of bad results (bound to happen at some point) the boo-boys will be back. I won't be one of them.

Saved me a post there...well put.

2 hours ago, Watson said:

Still not convinced by him, to defensive minded for my liking, and worried by such comments by the fans that its good to see players like Matias and FF are tracking back and grafting.  For me, they should be used on the whole to attack to take the game to the opposition not helping out in defence so often.  

I am heartened by the two signings made both have a reputation for playing football and I wonder if has a plan to make us more dynamic going forward.  

He's made some bold decisions especially regarding Westwood and I can see both sides of the argument.  If It came down to me then I would pick Westwood for the now.  I can see Jos's logic that the two youngsters are the future in playing terms and as financial assets and now is the time to develop them. 

So its a mixed bag for me at the moment the next few games are going to test the club and we may get a more realistic view of where the club is heading this season.  

I also wonder if he is saving FF for the games coming up and that he is thinking ahead which if I'm right is a plus from me.

Whatever happens, I won't be calling for his head, he is making progress slowly and he should be given time to ram my words down my mouth.

Absolute tosh Watson, why shouldn't MM and FF track back and put 2 men between an attacker instead of just the full back, unless of course we have more than one ball on the pitch, in which case you could have a point.

• Haha 4

Just now, Eastleigh Owl said:

Absolute tosh Watson, why shouldn't MM and FF track back and put 2 men between an attacker instead of just the full back, unless of course we have more than one ball on the pitch, in which case you could have a point.

We are talking tactics in this thread, this is for the grown-ups, see you in a more frivolous thread.

• Haha 1