#SWFC team for Sunderland

Wildsmith

Thorniley             Van Aken               Fox

Palmer                  Jones               Reach                 Penny

Boyd

Matias               Nuhiu

I would like to see Burokov and Preston introduced at some point.

Goalie - Joe, he deserves to play and build on his performance levels from last season. He made very few mistakes during his long spell in goal last season and will only get better and better with experience. Westwood to cover unless he is wanted on loan by somebody and he is being protected from injury. If I were Jos, I may be tempted to play him at some stage if possible just to put him in the shop window and show any prospective customers that he is fit and still doing the business.

Left wing back - Van Aken. As I said for the Hull game, I would play him as a left sided wing back, because I think he was made for this role due to his left wing experience as a younger player and the fact that he tackles better from the side, or when chasing a player. His passing and crossing is good and he seems to have a better level of stamina than Fox or Pudil. If he works out in the position it could be a massive positive for us in the league too. If Jos thinks Van Aken can play left centre back role then I would play Matt Penney here. because he is 20 now, has been one of the standout player in the U23s for a few years now and has the ability to run with the ball, tackle, cross, take free kicks and score goals. If he is going to get into the team then he should be pushing his way past Fox now because Fox may have shown some ability as a footballer at one time, but quite frankly does not deserve to be getting so many games when his performances are going backwards if anything.

Left centre back - Thorniley. He looked very good when he came on against Hull and again deserved to play and will only get better as he plays more games. There is not a lot to choose between him and Pudil in this position for me.

Centre back - Tom Lees - I would play him first half or on as a sub in this position because as the captain he should be in the centre of defence, as our most experienced and steady centre half he should be in the centre of defence and this is his natural position. If Jos has any issues over Tom playing in the centre, this game should be used to prove to himself that Tom is by far the best option. He is captain because he is a team player and rarely has to rely on others to cover from him. 

Right centre Back - Frederick Nielson, or Sam Hutchinson. Again for the same reasons as above I would play either of the two here because it is their natural positions and for Jos's sake I would play Hutch there at some stage to prove to Jos that Hutch is better for the team in this position, because the other two centre halves can then get on with their own jobs without having to cover for him so much and leave gaps down the wings where we are already exposed when we play with slower wing backs like Palmer, Pudil or Fox. Freddy also looks a decent player in this position and like the other young uns needs the experience.

Right wing back - Ash Baker. I simply would not play Palmer there due to his lack of desire and lack of ability to defend. If you look at the build up to a good percentage of goals against us over the last couple of seasons, it is quite alarming how many of them come about from unchallenged crosses or passes put in from Palmers position where he is there but not near enough to the man to block or make a challenge. he is always a pace, or half a pace behind. Attack wise his passing , speed and decision making is not good enough for this division. The only teams that I can imagine him playing for in the championship would be teams that will end up in the relegation spots or just above.  

Holding midfielder - Dave Jones unless he is wanted out on loan and there are worries about him getting injured (same as Westwood). If he's fit and staying play him, we may need to see more of him through the season and this would be a good game to play him.  

Creative midfielder - Hunt won young player of the year, or something like that and has been very highly thought of since he joined as a 7 year old. Get him in and let him gain some experience in with old hands like Dave Jones, Mathias and Boyd, he should be coming into the team now if he is as good as they say he is.

Creative midfielder - Boyd. Big things were expected from George, but I suspect that all his years of running all over the pitch and linking up play may have taken their toll. If it was just the injuries he arrived with that kept him from shining and he is fully fit now, then he could help himself out by pushing for a return to the first team.

Creative midfielder - Fraser Preston, because he has had rave reviews, is a pacey winger and has played for Scotlands U19s. If we are going to bring these players along and give them a chance, this looks like the best time to do it and I have not been impressed by Stobbs when he has played previously. OK if Stobbs realises that he is no longer going to be considered as a prospect and decides to go for it this season and force his way in, good luck to him, but Fraser Preston sounds as though he deserves a go before Stobbs gets another try.

Striker - Nuhiu or Fletcher. Both need to play at some stage or other to show Jos why they should be chosen for Sunday. For me Nuhiu edges it because he has scored already and because I think he would have scored at least one of the chances against Hull. Fletcher needs game time too, because he knows that he should have scored at least one goal and will be dying to put that right, becuase otherwise he had a decent game.

Strike partner Joao if fit, or Mathias. Same as Boyd. Marco needs to show us who he really is and what he can do when he is playing consistently free of injury and determined to do the business for us. This could be his big chance to stake a claim in the first team and show us all what we have been missing.

I would have the players in bold as starting or subs, with Reach and Bannan as the other two, just in case we get to a position where we want to get back into the game or to kill off the game.

UTO!

Hhhm looking at it from a different point of view, since we're going to struggle to gain promotion (personally for me (6th to 12th) looks probably about were well be, so thinking of ffp maybe play to win in the cups and get some money in, I know it's not a massive amount for the cup rounds, but when your skint every little helps lol

Let's go for it and for once havs a good go at it. 

20 hours ago, BigOwl said:

Totally agree. Sky moving the game to Thursday to suit them has killed any chance of us using most first team choices. Because of the league game at Brentford less than 48 hours later Jos has to put out a second string team or players not expected to start Saturday. 

Not playing sat

Had a rethink and I can't see us risking any of players that will probably start at Brentford.

Wildsmith

Thorniley  J Lee  Van Aken

Palmer                                        Penney

Matias   A Hunt    Boyd

Preston     Nuhiu

Subs Wallis O'Grady Nielson  Borukov  Jones  Kirby Stobbs

11 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Goalie - Joe, he deserves to play and build on his performance levels from last season. He made very few mistakes during his long spell in goal last season and will only get better and better with experience. Westwood to cover unless he is wanted on loan by somebody and he is being protected from injury. If I were Jos, I may be tempted to play him at some stage if possible just to put him in the shop window and show any prospective customers that he is fit and still doing the business.

Left wing back - Van Aken. As I said for the Hull game, I would play him as a left sided wing back, because I think he was made for this role due to his left wing experience as a younger player and the fact that he tackles better from the side, or when chasing a player. His passing and crossing is good and he seems to have a better level of stamina than Fox or Pudil. If he works out in the position it could be a massive positive for us in the league too. If Jos thinks Van Aken can play left centre back role then I would play Matt Penney here. because he is 20 now, has been one of the standout player in the U23s for a few years now and has the ability to run with the ball, tackle, cross, take free kicks and score goals. If he is going to get into the team then he should be pushing his way past Fox now because Fox may have shown some ability as a footballer at one time, but quite frankly does not deserve to be getting so many games when his performances are going backwards if anything.

Left centre back - Thorniley. He looked very good when he came on against Hull and again deserved to play and will only get better as he plays more games. There is not a lot to choose between him and Pudil in this position for me.

Centre back - Tom Lees - I would play him first half or on as a sub in this position because as the captain he should be in the centre of defence, as our most experienced and steady centre half he should be in the centre of defence and this is his natural position. If Jos has any issues over Tom playing in the centre, this game should be used to prove to himself that Tom is by far the best option. He is captain because he is a team player and rarely has to rely on others to cover from him. 

Right centre Back - Frederick Nielson, or Sam Hutchinson. Again for the same reasons as above I would play either of the two here because it is their natural positions and for Jos's sake I would play Hutch there at some stage to prove to Jos that Hutch is better for the team in this position, because the other two centre halves can then get on with their own jobs without having to cover for him so much and leave gaps down the wings where we are already exposed when we play with slower wing backs like Palmer, Pudil or Fox. Freddy also looks a decent player in this position and like the other young uns needs the experience.

Right wing back - Ash Baker. I simply would not play Palmer there due to his lack of desire and lack of ability to defend. If you look at the build up to a good percentage of goals against us over the last couple of seasons, it is quite alarming how many of them come about from unchallenged crosses or passes put in from Palmers position where he is there but not near enough to the man to block or make a challenge. he is always a pace, or half a pace behind. Attack wise his passing , speed and decision making is not good enough for this division. The only teams that I can imagine him playing for in the championship would be teams that will end up in the relegation spots or just above.  

Holding midfielder - Dave Jones unless he is wanted out on loan and there are worries about him getting injured (same as Westwood). If he's fit and staying play him, we may need to see more of him through the season and this would be a good game to play him.  

Creative midfielder - Hunt won young player of the year, or something like that and has been very highly thought of since he joined as a 7 year old. Get him in and let him gain some experience in with old hands like Dave Jones, Mathias and Boyd, he should be coming into the team now if he is as good as they say he is.

Creative midfielder - Boyd. Big things were expected from George, but I suspect that all his years of running all over the pitch and linking up play may have taken their toll. If it was just the injuries he arrived with that kept him from shining and he is fully fit now, then he could help himself out by pushing for a return to the first team.

Creative midfielder - Fraser Preston, because he has had rave reviews, is a pacey winger and has played for Scotlands U19s. If we are going to bring these players along and give them a chance, this looks like the best time to do it and I have not been impressed by Stobbs when he has played previously. OK if Stobbs realises that he is no longer going to be considered as a prospect and decides to go for it this season and force his way in, good luck to him, but Fraser Preston sounds as though he deserves a go before Stobbs gets another try.

Striker - Nuhiu or Fletcher. Both need to play at some stage or other to show Jos why they should be chosen for Sunday. For me Nuhiu edges it because he has scored already and because I think he would have scored at least one of the chances against Hull. Fletcher needs game time too, because he knows that he should have scored at least one goal and will be dying to put that right, becuase otherwise he had a decent game.

Strike partner Joao if fit, or Mathias. Same as Boyd. Marco needs to show us who he really is and what he can do when he is playing consistently free of injury and determined to do the business for us. This could be his big chance to stake a claim in the first team and show us all what we have been missing.

I would have the players in bold as starting or subs, with Reach and Bannan as the other two, just in case we get to a position where we want to get back into the game or to kill off the game.

UTO!

Good post. But isn't that 12?

On 15/08/2018 at 23:34, OwlsfaninNorway said:

Good post. But isn't that 12?

Yes I was picking a squad of players who I would play if fit, with my starting and bench options, but I suspected that Joao may still be injured. If you drop him and replace him with Matias, you have 11 to start a sub goalie and 6 outfield subs for the full bench.