Guardian - George & David Hirst

I guess we'll never the truth and both sides will blame each other and everyone will have their own thoughts and arguements on the matter.

BUT

bottom line is, Leicester have been smarter than us and legally got their man.

What sticks in the throat though, is the fact we could have had £2M in the bank and contractual knock on payments if it became applicable.

IMO an own goal, whoever is to blame.

Another sad day resigned to club history.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

i agree, but i'm sick of trapdoors being nailed shut after we've fallen through them, as a club i think it's taken for granted we're a 'soft touch', and have been for decades.

I would  “+10” this post if I could. 

Edited by shandypants

30 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Wouldn't doing it the right way have been for Leicester to have signed George Hirst and paid the compensation due to Wednesday - like usually happens in signings involving academy players?

What they've done may be legal, but to quote Alex Ferguson from the original article, it's a “blatant manipulation of the system”, and it seems morally repugnant to me.

They did originally try to do the right thing. The system is there and it's faulted. Leicester took advantage. We were  too stupid to see it happening 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ElsecarOwl said:

What sticks in the throat though, is the fact we could have had £2M in the bank

Bloody ell, would have been an even bigger meltdown...we gave hm away, DC's/CC's a wee pipe..he was worth £10m...should have held out for more, no ambition etc etc etc etc.

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, KivoOwl said:

What evidence? The club's statements? 

The club are the only ones who have made a statement. Not seen anything from the H... T clan denying what the club have said. 

2 hours ago, Kameron said:

Serves us right for turning down the original offer.

That's at exactly what this system is designed to do, accept the peanuts big clubs offer you or get nothing.

Bettee make sure we thank them for the honour as they take our best young players for nothing

While I was gutted when this happened one thing is painfully clear: Wednesday were not set up to develop young talent.

He could play more elsewhere, he could earn more elsewhere, and once he was frozen out I think any loyalty went out the window. 

We have to learn from this. I suspect that Dawson and Wildsmith getting the nod over Westwood is partly down to this. But of course, it seems ridiculous that a quality player like Westwood is now frozen out. 

I just hope we can actually keep some players once the poo hits the fan next summer and we don't lose all the senior pros and promising kids.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Thirsty's shown himself in his true colours, and they ain't blue and white.

Thirsty!!!

Brilliant.

1 hour ago, No Uniform said:

Would be shocked if we don't sue Leicester when he eventually joins them. 

If it was all legal, what would the grounds be?

We can appeal for the football league can step in, but that's about it I reckon.