Guardian - George & David Hirst

Pretty much says what was said in those 126 pages on here.

It's written by someone very much from a distance though - for example it doesn't delve much into last season's offers to GH and the subsequent banning of him from the club. Both which where apparently the reasons why he's in Belgium.

I think this sort of practice could become common place in football as more and more Premier League clubs look to exploit the academies of clubs further down the football league ladder, ensuring money stays at the top of the game rather than filtering its way down through the leagues.

If indeed it does I’ve no doubt the FA will eventually look to plug this loop hole in the rules, too late for us to benefit from the Hirst transfer but undoubtedly for the good of the game.

As for Hirst, I have absolutely no problem with a young man wanting to further his career and earn more money, I’d be exactly the same if I were him. I do however have a problem with the way he’s conspired to rob the club he claims to support of compensation it is rightly owed for developing him and giving him his first contract in the game by signing for Leicester through the back door.

I also think something fans need to remember when sticking the boot into the club over George Hirst however is that he’s not his dad and there are no guarantees he’ll ever be anywhere near as good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Serves us right for turning down the original offer.

Maybe we actually thought he would sign a long term contract at the club he supposedly supports and develop into a hero at the club?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Kameron said:

No it doesn't.

Football clubs turn down offers for young players all the time; that doesn't mean they then deserve to be screwed out of the usual compensation by a Premier League club using a loophole to avoid paying a fair price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We are famous!!!

"Owls Talk, one of their internet messageboards, has 126 pages devoted to the subject."

Oh they found only _one_ of the 126 threads then? ,)

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Wish circumstances had been better about the move, how great wouldn't it have been to see Hirst play for us a bit before he moved on? The way things were left now, less amicable it seems, I doubt we'll ever see him again. 

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

More worrying is that big clubs won't need to make that original offer going forwards. Which in turn may make many clubs reconsider the merits of investing so heavily in a youth system. If the loophole continues I can't see it being that positive for the game. 

I bet George and his dad have their reasons for being annoyed with the chairman and the club.

But what hurts me the most about all of it is that they have mugged the fans of in the process. Without the fans Wednesday are nothing. It's the fans who idolised David, he means so much to so many families and his name is passed on from generation to generation. It's the fans who wanted nothing more than George to succeed in a Wednesday shirt.

The way they've gone about it is to stick two fingers up at the chairman. But by doing so they've also disrespected thousands of people who once worshipped their family name. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We are famous!!!

"Owls Talk, one of their internet messageboards, has 126 pages devoted to the subject."

'One of...'?

I think you'll find Owlstalk is the Wednesday messageboard, Mr Taylor.

:duntmatter:

It's an interesting article, and it does hint at how this Hirst saga could well be the tip of the iceberg if Leicester are allowed to get away with it. This could become common practice before too long, which would be disastrous for smaller clubs who rely on youth development to keep their heads above water.