Guardian - George & David Hirst

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Again, we don't know exactly what led to the decision to prevent Hirst playing. I've heard speculation, but it remains just that as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly negotiations weren't progressing as expected and it seems Hirst was already in contact with Leicester as he was aware of their bid for him within an hour of it happening. Beyond that, who knows what was really going on behind closed doors?

Either way, we've fallen prey to some pretty shady practice on Leicester City's part which, if allowed to continue by the powers that be, could spell the end for academy football at lower league clubs in the not-too-distant future.

Hopefully the loophole that's allowed us to be screwed out of the usual compensation is closed before this kind of thing becomes common practice.

And does that speculation not worry you? Or that Clare left the club - a player who DC was also rumoured to have prevented from playing until he signed a new contract, only for JL and KM to intercede and argue (seemingly successfully) for his inclusion. Same with Thorniley. All speculation. But maintaining a respectful distance from speculation merely because it's speculation stops being tenable when the incidents that fans speculate about mount.

There are circumstances under which Hirst left the club that aren't clear. Circumstances that quite possibly were exacerbated by DC. Since DC was expounding on his largesse in letting Hirst play again for the U23s (but not the first team) back in February, I can only assume he still thinks he did nothing wrong in preventing Hirst from playing for the U23s in the first place. I've not seen a great deal of evidence so far that DC is one to learn from mistakes. We've just had a fans' forum in which the fans were seemingly implicated in various questionable decisions that the club has made over the past few years. It's worrying because we're in a hole and I'd like to know how we got into it since we're being asked to continually back this club financially and all under this guy's leadership. I'd like some positive sign that he's starting to get things right.

7 hours ago, BIG D said:

How much do you think we should have offered him?

I have no idea what he was offered or what he should have been offered . Let's be honest they ( footballers) all get paid way too much but that's the game nowadays . I think the point im trying to make is that the lad was/ is a good prospect who has also come through the ranks for England and who could have been great for us for a good few years to come . 

Ask yourself why we have lost at the very least a couple of good prospects and IMO it goes back to owner of the club who doesn't have a clue about what it takes to run a club beyond buying a few over prices players ..... He doesn't seem to have the right people in place that know about this side of the game IMO 

3 hours ago, cowl said:

And does that speculation not worry you? Or that Clare left the club - a player who DC was also rumoured to have prevented from playing until he signed a new contract, only for JL and KM to intercede and argue (seemingly successfully) for his inclusion. Same with Thorniley. All speculation. But maintaining a respectful distance from speculation merely because it's speculation stops being tenable when the incidents that fans speculate about mount.

There are circumstances under which Hirst left the club that aren't clear. Circumstances that quite possibly were exacerbated by DC. Since DC was expounding on his largesse in letting Hirst play again for the U23s (but not the first team) back in February, I can only assume he still thinks he did nothing wrong in preventing Hirst from playing for the U23s in the first place. I've not seen a great deal of evidence so far that DC is one to learn from mistakes. We've just had a fans' forum in which the fans were seemingly implicated in various questionable decisions that the club has made over the past few years. It's worrying because we're in a hole and I'd like to know how we got into it since we're being asked to continually back this club financially and all under this guy's leadership. I'd like some positive sign that he's starting to get things right.

No, as Hirst has left the club. The rumours of constantly moving goalposts in terms of what he'd accept, who should be arranging a loan deal, whether Hirst would accept certain loan deals, whether he was willing to engage in meaningful dialogue with the club...are just that: rumours.

Chansiri has made some very worrying decisions which have been discussed at length in other threads, but for me this issue is much bigger than that: it's about a Premier League club using their foreign feeder club to circumvent the usual payment due to a lower league club who have developed a young player. If this is allowed to become common practice, then many lower league clubs will suffer, and it will be their academies - the sole route into the game for so many young players - which fall by the wayside as a result. What that will do for player development in this country, I shudder to think.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Why are we still talking about this? It’s not going to change anything 

Because The Guardian have published an article about it, commenting on its wider implications for the game as a whole.

As the article says:

But there is a principle here as well and if Hirst does turn up at Leicester, whenever that may be, it will tell us a lot about the politics and relationships that exist in modern football, the vagaries of the feeder-club system and a loophole that should probably be closed.

Plus it could be your club that gets hurt next time.

This may be the case which starts the ball rolling in terms of getting that loophole closed and preventing other clubs falling prey to the same practice.

19 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

But the guardian like all media sources are selective in what the publish and are always always behind the times (not the newspaper)

So you opened a thread that has a heated discussion about a recent newspaper article and posted a totally pointless question?

Lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If George HIrst carries on with his current form in the Belgian lower league of 2 appearances, no goals and subbed off twice, Leicester won't want him anyway and he'll be left to rot in Belgium. Which would be a terrible shame.

If he isn't scoring freely in the Belgian second division maybe he wasn't ready to play in the Championship.  Personally I've stopped caring one way or the other. He was a fans favourite at Hillsborough . everyone was wanting him to do well, now he's just another kid at whatever club he plays for. I'm not sure if that's a good thing for him or bad.

He’s only had two games to be fair but what the hell is he doing in the Belgian second division really. All this chat about ‘what father wouldn’t want the best for his son?’ when referring to our contract offer doesn’t really square with him ending up in that league. Way to make a point you pair of utter melts.

4 hours ago, Ridgeback owl said:

I have no idea what he was offered or what he should have been offered . Let's be honest they ( footballers) all get paid way too much but that's the game nowadays . I think the point im trying to make is that the lad was/ is a good prospect who has also come through the ranks for England and who could have been great for us for a good few years to come . 

Ask yourself why we have lost at the very least a couple of good prospects and IMO it goes back to owner of the club who doesn't have a clue about what it takes to run a club beyond buying a few over prices players ..... He doesn't seem to have the right people in place that know about this side of the game IMO 

He is a good prospect but according to a someone on here supposedly in the know and on the side of the Hirsts he was offered £4K a week for 4 years. I don’t think that’s bad for an 18 year old lad with limited experience. 

Guest Kameron
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:03, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No it doesn't.

Football clubs turn down offers for young players all the time; that doesn't mean they then deserve to be screwed out of the usual compensation by a Premier League club using a loophole to avoid paying a fair price.

How is it a loophole, once out of contract he was free to move where ever he saw fit.  A professional club was surely aware that if he was to move abroad the compensation  would be a lot less, Leicester offered a very reasonable fee for a player that had done nothing at first team level.  We turned it down, Hirst declines the contract offered by the club and is free to leave, that's not a loophole.

5 minutes ago, Kameron said:

How is it a loophole, once out of contract he was free to move where ever he saw fit.  A professional club was surely aware that if he was to move abroad the compensation  would be a lot less, Leicester offered a very reasonable fee for a player that had done nothing at first team level.  We turned it down, Hirst declines the contract offered by the club and is free to leave, that's not a loophole.

It's a loophole in that Leicester aren't paying what an English League Club should be paying under the governence in place for transfers of players between English League sides.

Which given the two clubs have the same ownership is pretty much a loophole.

One that will only be clarified if the lad "Moves" to Leicester in the next 18 months.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

He’s only had two games to be fair but what the hell is he doing in the Belgian second division really. All this chat about ‘what father wouldn’t want the best for his son?’ when referring to our contract offer doesn’t really square with him ending up in that league. Way to make a point you pair of utter melts.

Yes if it were my son I’d much rather him be at a decent UK club and win his place on merit. George is being manipulated by businessmen, and if it all goes wrong so what, they won’t lose an arm and a leg will they?

Guest Kameron
7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's a loophole in that Leicester aren't paying what an English League Club should be paying under the governence in place for transfers of players between English League sides.

Which given the two clubs have the same ownership is pretty much a loophole.

One that will only be clarified if the lad "Moves" to Leicester in the next 18 months.

But he's not playing for Leicester or any other English club.