Guardian - George & David Hirst

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What if Chansiri said "OK, prove to us you’re worth this £x k a week by breaking into the team and banging the goals. Then we will work to meet you halfway", only to be told that no matter what, Hirst wouldn't be signing the contract and would be joining Leicester City or their Belgian feeder club at the end of his current deal?

Then that’s all on Hirst and his advisors. Meanwhile DC perfectly demonstrates he was being reasonable.

Instead he gets spiteful and shows himself up (again) in negative light.

Id say comedy of errors, but this $hit isn’t funny.

Edited by pussface

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How do you know he didn't?

Because it's there in the 'Ask the Chairman' series that dealt with Hirst.

We have tried over and over again to negotiate to extend the contract of George Hirst but each offer has been turned down. We were categorically informed just before the closure of the transfer window in August 2017 that “George will not be signing a new deal at the club.”

And DC had stopped Hirst from playing for the club around about the middle of August.

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Because it's there in the 'Ask the Chairman' series that dealt with Hirst.

And DC had stopped Hirst from playing for the club around about the middle of August.

I'm not sure how that precludes the possibility that Chansiri asked George Hirst to prove his worth, only to be rebuffed by the player and his advisors. It's hardly unheard of for players looking for a move to make things as awkward as possible at their current club in order to engineer a move. 

The bit I found most revealing from the chairman's statement is this: "The fact that the notification that George would not be signing for SWFC came just over an hour after we had turned down an offer from a Premier League club for the permanent transfer of George’s registration. Of course, this made us wonder if there were talks taking place with regards to George’s future which we were not party to."

It's pretty clear that he had his head turned by Leicester and had been in discussions with them without Wednesday's permission.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure how that precludes the possibility that Chansiri asked George Hirst to prove his worth, only to be rebuffed by the player and his advisors. It's hardly unheard of for players looking for a move to make things as awkward as possible at their current club in order to engineer a move. 

The bit I found most revealing from the chairman's statement is this: "The fact that the notification that George would not be signing for SWFC came just over an hour after we had turned down an offer from a Premier League club for the permanent transfer of George’s registration. Of course, this made us wonder if there were talks taking place with regards to George’s future which we were not party to."

It's pretty clear that he had his head turned by Leicester and had been in discussions with them without Wednesday's permission.

You seem to have missed the part about DC stopping Hirst from playing and training with the club until he signed his contract. It happened in about mid-August, and it's a bit of a negotiation killer.

I don't think you just carry on negotiating normally like nothing happened with a guy that does this. DC was hardly showing how he'll safeguard his future with this utterly needless and excessive power move with a player that still had a year left on his contract.

23 minutes ago, cowl said:

You seem to have missed the part about DC stopping Hirst from playing and training with the club until he signed his contract. It happened in about mid-August, and it's a bit of a negotiation killer.

I don't think you just carry on negotiating normally like nothing happened with a guy that does this. DC was hardly showing how he'll safeguard his future with this utterly needless and excessive power move with a player that still had a year left on his contract.

Again, we don't know exactly what led to the decision to prevent Hirst playing. I've heard speculation, but it remains just that as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly negotiations weren't progressing as expected and it seems Hirst was already in contact with Leicester as he was aware of their bid for him within an hour of it happening. Beyond that, who knows what was really going on behind closed doors?

Either way, we've fallen prey to some pretty shady practice on Leicester City's part which, if allowed to continue by the powers that be, could spell the end for academy football at lower league clubs in the not-too-distant future.

Hopefully the loophole that's allowed us to be screwed out of the usual compensation is closed before this kind of thing becomes common practice.

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Am i on my own in thinking this whole farce would never have happened under Manderic and Paul Aldridge ? Milan wouldnt have allowed us to be shafted by David Hirst and Leicester. 

He almost sold us to a chancer from the land of fire mate

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Am i on my own in thinking this whole farce would never have happened under Manderic and Paul Aldridge ? Milan wouldnt have allowed us to be shafted by David Hirst and Leicester. 

Player power and money talks - if Sir Alex and Man U can be done in similar (yet different) fashion - I am not sure it matters who is in charge. 

All Chansiri did was act upon principles (Shame Hirst and Co didn’t), whereas Mandaric might have been more business. I myself can’t fault our chairman for the position he took. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

If they were determined to shaft us, what could any chairman have done to prevent it, though?

Sell Hirst for £2m = shafted.

Refuse to sell and have him leave via an obscure loophole which prevents us being paid compensation for his development = shafted.

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Milan would have accepted the first offer of £350K that he received. Always one to sell a player on the cheap if it reduced the amount he had to put in.

9 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

If a player doesn't wanna sign there's nowt anyone can do.

Mind.its swings and roundabouts. If we still had Milan in charge we wouldn't have been able to afford having 7 other forwards blocking his route to the first team!

Mind. He gone now. 

Spilt milk int it.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

3 hours ago, Ridgeback owl said:

So Hirst senior is looking out for his son .... Wouldn't we all ? It's just another chapter in a club run by a guy that hasn't got a flipping clue. 

The amount of money wasted to get us in the FFP mess we are in could have gone a long way to set us up for years with good young talent. Instead good prospects like Hirst and Clare have gone !!

that young lad has been playing and scoring for England FFS but all the happy clappers are having a pop at him and his dad for wanting a good deal ..... Don't we all want a good deal ?...... Amateurish running of the club again IMO 

How much do you think we should have offered him?

51 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Hmm he sold Antonio to Forest for A million the deal of the century that one 

3 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

And this is the thinking behind us getting the sq root of f*ck all.

That is how it has turned out but nothing wrong with the logic.  This is the first time this sort of thing has been done - lots of big clubs have feeder clubs in other countries and these same clubs hoover up all the best young talent from smaller clubs.  Prior to this though they have always bought direct from the club and paid compo - eg Chelsea bought Ampadu direct from Exeter not via their Belgian feeder club where he will probably end up.  Criticise DC for freezing out GH or not caving into his wage demands but don't criticise for not anticipating Leicester would pull this stunt because absolutely no one saw it coming