Guardian - George & David Hirst

28 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Wonder if David is hangin around the bar all day...telling the locals his anecdotes :duntmatter:

I was on their forum yesterday and the most popular thread is "I had a few with George Hirst's dad last night and never knew before but he very nearly signed for Man Utd."

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Hirst Snr and Jnr could have risen above all this and refused to play ball, Leicester would have still parted with the money and their integrity would have remained in tact. 

It really is that simple. 

Once we froze the lad out though, effectively stopping his development, they probably thought screw us.

12 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think this sort of practice could become common place in football as more and more Premier League clubs look to exploit the academies of clubs further down the football league ladder, ensuring money stays at the top of the game rather than filtering its way down through the leagues.

If indeed it does I’ve no doubt the FA will eventually look to plug this loop hole in the rules, too late for us to benefit from the Hirst transfer but undoubtedly for the good of the game.

As for Hirst, I have absolutely no problem with a young man wanting to further his career and earn more money, I’d be exactly the same if I were him. I do however have a problem with the way he’s conspired to rob the club he claims to support of compensation it is rightly owed for developing him and giving him his first contract in the game by signing for Leicester through the back door.

I also think something fans need to remember when sticking the boot into the club over George Hirst however is that he’s not his dad and there are no guarantees he’ll ever be anywhere near as good.

Nor as devious.

Remember Hirst senior told Buxtongent and friends at an Owls function 2 years ago that "he won't sign for Wednesday if I have any say in it". The whole thing was engineered by him (he's effectively the lads mentor and agent) and Leicester are taking full advantage of the situation. George is merely a pawn in a much bigger game.

12 hours ago, Hitcat said:

I always wondered what it would feel like to get fvcked by 2 Wednesday legends at the same time. Now I know...

Personally I don't know of two who would go for that........however, if you fancy a bit of pork and a fire escape exit, maybe we could do a deal:carlosswfc:

2 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

He’d already been tapped up prior to that, otherwise he would have accepted the contract. 

That may be and that sucks but I believe the Hirsts might not have been so ready to shaft us with the Belgium thing if we hadn't frozen George out. All supposition though.

2 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

That may be and that sucks but I believe the Hirsts might not have been so ready to shaft us with the Belgium thing if we hadn't frozen George out. All supposition though.

I don’t think they were in a position to stand in judgement. 

So Hirst senior is looking out for his son .... Wouldn't we all ? It's just another chapter in a club run by a guy that hasn't got a flipping clue. 

The amount of money wasted to get us in the FFP mess we are in could have gone a long way to set us up for years with good young talent. Instead good prospects like Hirst and Clare have gone !!

that young lad has been playing and scoring for England FFS but all the happy clappers are having a pop at him and his dad for wanting a good deal ..... Don't we all want a good deal ?...... Amateurish running of the club again IMO 

3 minutes ago, Ridgeback owl said:

So Hirst senior is looking out for his son .... Wouldn't we all ? It's just another chapter in a club run by a guy that hasn't got a flipping clue. 

The amount of money wasted to get us in the FFP mess we are in could have gone a long way to set us up for years with good young talent. Instead good prospects like Hirst and Clare have gone !!

that young lad has been playing and scoring for England Juniors FFS but all the happy clappers are having a pop at him and his dad for wanting a good deal ..... Don't we all want a good deal ?...... Amateurish running of the club again IMO 

10 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

He’d already been tapped up prior to that, otherwise he would have accepted the contract. 

He was frozen out 12 months ago though.

DC's account of this part of the saga is tellingly vague.

But in any case, DC chose to exclude the lad from playing and training with the U23s until he signed his new contract, and this started all the way back last August.

Sign the contract or rot; I would only sign such a contract with such an ultimatum if I had no other choice, and seemingly Hirst did have a choice even if he had to wait 12 months for it.

Hirst wanted £x k a week

DC refused, considered him not worth it, despite turning down £2m + bids for him.

Hirst refuses offer (as he’s entitled to do)

However this is where compromise sets in. Where a shrewd Chairman with half a brain would say ok, prove to us you’re worth this £x k a week by breaking into the team and banging the goals. Then we will work to meet you halfway. This shows willing to compromise from the club, and adds insentive to the player.

But no instead our chairman bans him from selection and training for the reminder of his contract.

Sorry, but this is DC, again.

Not only this but at a time of an impending transfer embargo, he refuses to sell him...

I’m gutted Hirst won’t be playing for us, and angry with Snr for being just as stubborn and pig headed as DC. They certainly must share a portion of the blame for this fiasco.

Yet this is another example of DC displaying his rank amateurism to everyone. I hope he is learning from his mistakes, as last season he had a right mare.

1 hour ago, cowl said:

He was frozen out 12 months ago though.

DC's account of this part of the saga is tellingly vague.

But in any case, DC chose to exclude the lad from playing and training with the U23s until he signed his new contract, and this started all the way back last August.

Sign the contract or rot; I would only sign such a contract with such an ultimatum if I had no other choice, and seemingly Hirst did have a choice even if he had to wait 12 months for it.

He'd already had his head turned, don't be naive. 

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

Which makes it worse for DC

If you’re correct (which I think you are) then DC allowed himself to be out leveraged. 

If your boss offered you a 1% pay rise, knowing you had a job offer giving you 8%, would you feel inclined to stay?

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

Do you mean he was aware that other clubs were interested in signing him?

If you want to talk about naivety, then what do you think to a chairman that simply bans a player (with a year left on his contract, mind) from playing anymore for the club until he signs his contract - and still expects him to sign?

If he wasn't signing up to that point what do you think would be the chances of him doing so after DC pulls a stunt like that?

10 minutes ago, pussface said:

However this is where compromise sets in. Where a shrewd Chairman with half a brain would say ok, prove to us you’re worth this £x k a week by breaking into the team and banging the goals. Then we will work to meet you halfway. This shows willing to compromise from the club, and adds insentive to the player.

But no instead our chairman bans him from selection and training for the reminder of his contract.

What if Chansiri said "OK, prove to us you’re worth this £x k a week by breaking into the team and banging the goals. Then we will work to meet you halfway", only to be told that no matter what, Hirst wouldn't be signing the contract and would be joining Leicester City or their Belgian feeder club at the end of his current deal?

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What if Chansiri said "OK, prove to us you’re worth this £x k a week by breaking into the team and banging the goals. Then we will work to meet you halfway", only to be told that no matter what, Hirst wouldn't be signing the contract and would be joining Leicester City or their Belgian feeder club at the end of his current deal?

He should have said this to him before he decided to stop him from playing for the U23s or going out on loan