Thoughts After Today

2 minutes ago, pressy said:

Fletcher is a class above nuihu he must be first choice 

Looked a lot more lively today that's for sure. Smarter, faster, better touch (apart from that first one when he was through), puts himself about more. Just better.

28 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Only a friendly I know but here goes,

It now seems crystal clear that the finest keeper in my 45 plus years watching Wednesday is being sacrificed for FFP...…….a poor indictment of our financial policy over the last two years, and amazingly most on here seem happy with it !!

Thanks for everything KW and all the best, I for one will be sorry to see you go.

We have decent options in the attacking third...….FF , Joao, Fletcher, Nuhiu (poor today though) and Matias.

We are one injury away (Bannan) from having a non existent midfield, Hutch should be in the back 3, Jones is still abject and Pelupessy is a little anonymous.

Why does Adam Reach look like he has put a stone in weight on?

We do not have ONE championship quality wingback in the squad.

Central defence is STILL ( 2 and a half years after Wembley) crying out for a tall commanding captain like figure with presence.

Abdi is fit...…………….but still wont be considered.

Foolhardy to draw conclusions on pre season but if I had to call it tonight I would say mid table at best unless we strengthen.

It's criminal and even more baffling that we seem set to lose an experienced keeper - when things go wrong no one is going to stand up and take responsibility or get those around them going are they. I can see a lot of heads down and feeling sorry for ourselves and a lack of confidence developing in the defensive unit. 

Nothing to do with today's performance, just based on what we have available. The best defensive line-up we have had under the current regime is Westwood in goal and a back four of Hunt, Lees, Loovens and Pudil. Loovens was rightly let go, Hunt has gone, Westwood looks set to follow, Pudil can no longer play full back or wing back and Lees needs an assuring, commanding presence alongside him. 

If we're talking about what we need it's two good wing backs, A commanding centre half and a tough tackling midfielder who can break it up and set the attacks going.

Which we've pretty much needed for 10 years

GK - Westwood top class but seemingly moving on + two prospects.

RWB - Palmer shouldn't even be back up + one rookie (Baker)

CB - Lees and Pudil have pedigree, jury still out on van Aken + young lads

LWB - Reach seemingly doesn't want to play there, Fox not good enough, Boyd can't defend or travel faster than an office chair.

CM - Bannan top class, Hutch a liability, jury out on Pelupessy, Jones awful, Kieran Lee injured, Abdi christ knows

FW - Too many to pick from. Forestieri top class, Hooper injured, Nuhiu doesn't score enough, Joao a rough diamond, Fletcher always injured, Winnall disappeared, Matias too lightweight.

We are desperate for two wing backs, a CB and a CM. 

Cannot believe we've got rid of Jack Hunt. 

We've spunked money on striker after striker while neglecting the rest of the pitch. 

Can see us finishing 15th

Edited by KivoOwl

A year ago today we lost (and were outclassed) by a very average Rangers side. I said then we looked poor and would struggle.

Having watched us against Mansfield on Tuesday and Villa Real today, I'll repeat that We'll struggle (happy to be proved wrong, laughed at, pinned post etc as the season pans out)

Edited by Bulldog

It was only a pre season game but my thoughts

Lees can’t be the RCB 

Hutch and Joey shouldn’t play together, we end up with 3 midfielders all playing deep

Both wing backs are a concern

We have no pace at all 

Nuhiu doesn’t work in a two and looks better with FF and Joao next to him , so we have to sacrifice a CM for that

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

GK - Westwood top class but seemingly moving on + two prospects.

RWB - Palmer shouldn't even be back up + one rookie (Baker)

CB - Lees and Pudil have pedigree, jury still out on van Aken + young lads

LWB - Reach seemingly doesn't want to play there, Fox not good enough, Boyd can't defend or travel faster than an office chair.

CM - Bannan top class, Hutch a liability, jury out on Pelupessy, Jones awful, Kieran Lee injured, Abdi christ knows

FW - Too many to pick from. Forestieri top class, Hooper injured, Nuhiu doesn't score enough, Joao a rough diamond, Fletcher always injured, Winnall disappeared, Matias too lightweight.

We are desperate for two wing backs, a CB and a CM. 

Cannot believe we've got rid of Jack Hunt. 

We've spunked money on striker after striker while neglecting the rest of the pitch. 

Can see us finishing 15th

Slightly on the negative side, but not grossly so.

Our wingbacks are alarmingly inadequate, we need another experienced player at centre back and we are short of options in central midfield.

Aside from Bannan our lack of creativity in the centre of the park is absolutely woeful and it's been that way for years. I remember when BB had to come off injured against Rotherham two seasons back and we ended up with Hutchinson and Jones in a 4-4-2, it was painful to watch. We only managed to score in the 93rd minute because they gave a ridiculous penalty away.

Didn't go today, don't do friendlies, but watch a lot of Spanish football and Villlareal are a class act. Not even sure who played, but their best player is a winger, long hair. McManamen type. Would be brilliant in the Premier League.