Thoughts After Today

Guest Maxine

I collected my season ticket the other day and was full of excitement for the new season. after watching most of the game today and reading ot im on a right downer.

We didn’t look like a team today. We played at a very slow pace today especially first half. Far too much space between midfield and attack. No urgency, no quick outlets/attacks, no one that could offer anything like this.

A midfield of Bannan, Hutch and Joey does not work.

Palmer and Boyd as wing backs - I thought we learnt last season does not work.

Forestieri and Nuhui simply aren’t on the same wavelength - one is wanting to play quick ball, needing good movement from the other who unfortunately is so, so slow.

A defence that raises more questions than provides assurances. Lees doesn’t look good in a back 3. Van Aiken goes to ground too often and needs to stay on his feet more. Too much ball watching as a unit and not marking / tracking their man. 

Hunt had his detractors but would walk into our current set up. Did we really need 1.5 m so badly?

Hooper out (no one knows when back - probably longer then Jos is prepared to say questions the Rhodes deal (a permanent deal with the 6/7m recouped I understand. A loan deal in which I expect we are probably paying a good chunk of his salary I’m not so sure).

It’s going to be a long season and a season of doom and gloom on Owlstalk. We will be cut apart by fast playing pass and move teams. 

50 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

LWB - Reach seemingly doesn't want to play there, Fox not good enough, Boyd can't defend or travel faster than an office chair.

Reach said a few weeks back he does want to play there. Can only think it’s through sheer lack of numbers in midfield that he isn’t. 

Westwood should stay and start but he'll be off

We need a commanding CB but wont sign one

We need a right and left wing back but will probably end up with Palmer and Fox starting most games

Hutchinson should be sitting where Pelupessy has been playing - he cant play as a more attacking midfielder and is 10x the player Pelupessy is

Nuhiu cant start next week, its got to be Joao and also thought Fletcher looked well so hopefully he can get fit and stay fit

If one of Bannan, Lees or Forestieri get injured we will do well to stay up

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Reach said a few weeks back he does want to play there. Can only think it’s through sheer lack of numbers in midfield that he isn’t. 

Interview with Reach 8th May

Reach, named the Owls Player of the Year at the 12th annual Star Football Awards earlier this week, said: “I think my best position probably is that left wing back role if we play the three centre-halves and two wing backs.

“The way we play with the two wing backs is so expansive. They are usually the most dangerous players on the pitch because of how high we play with the overlapping and crossing. It depends on what formation we play but ideally I would like to play wing back or left midfield. I think I have a the qualities where I can get more assists and goals to my name.”

Well clearly Jos doesn't see it that way or surely he'd have played there pre-season. He doesn't look comfortable in the middle and we at least have options there, all be it most are fitness doubts. 

With Reach lwb and a decent loanee on the right (byram) I'd be a lot more confident than palmer and fox.. 

13 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

We didn’t look like a team today. We played at a very slow pace today especially first half. Far too much space between midfield and attack. No urgency, no quick outlets/attacks, no one that could offer anything like this.

A midfield of Bannan, Hutch and Joey does not work.

Palmer and Boyd as wing backs - I thought we learnt last season does not work.

Forestieri and Nuhui simply aren’t on the same wavelength - one is wanting to play quick ball, needing good movement from the other who unfortunately is so, so slow.

A defence that raises more questions than provides assurances. Lees doesn’t look good in a back 3. Van Aiken goes to ground too often and needs to stay on his feet more. Too much ball watching as a unit and not marking / tracking their man. 

Hunt had his detractors but would walk into our current set up. Did we really need 1.5 m so badly?

Hooper out (no one knows when back - probably longer then Jos is prepared to say questions the Rhodes deal (a permanent deal with the 6/7m recouped I understand. A loan deal in which I expect we are probably paying a good chunk of his salary I’m not so sure).

It’s going to be a long season and a season of doom and gloom on Owlstalk. We will be cut apart by fast playing pass and move teams. 

Playing 3 midfielders that offer zero threat in terms of goals themselves is not going to do a great deal for our attacking prowess.

If we are going to play 3 at the back with wing backs then we don't need to have 3 central midfielders that don't venture much beyond the halfway line. Reach did a decent job there at times last season, certainly effort wise, but is much-needed at wing-back as things stand. 

Lee or Abdi could help in midfield but that's not likely to happen any time soon. With this formation we should really be able to afford to Forestieri a free role behind a front 2 and play Bannan and Hutch behind him. I would prefer to play Hutch at the back given the options we have but not sure Pelupessy is good enough yet to be first choice in holding midfield.

Mr Chansiri didn’t have the right people around him or for long enough. 

He’s had a go but been incredibly naive and ill advised particularly in respect of recruitment. I have to say I think there’s also been a definite air of arrogance too. Dismissing FFP in an AGM to now shifting players on including (rumoured) Westwood who’s been an absolute saviour at times speaks volumes. 

Not only have we seen no plan B on the pitch but also off it it seems. We can only hope he’s learned some valuable lessons and once our house is in order, we can have a more balanced and constructive go at promotion. 

Not going to be a good watch for the 12-24 months that might take though. I will be there as ever and hope to see us rise again. UTO

• Like 1

Just confirmed what I already knew,we are utter gash at the back,new fullbacks and a cb needed .

Going into the season with let backline we'll be lucky to make top 12

Unforgivable from Carlos the clown and dc spending millions but ignoring the backline for 3 seasons 

3 hours ago, cowl said:

Yeah, I'd like to know what's going on there.

Are we just going to pay him until his contract expires next summer without any attempt to get him in the squad?

In theory the current set up is now ideal for Abdi.  Three in the middle with cover behind should allow him to get on the ball.  Surely we've got to at least try him at some point rather than 2 DMs and Bannan. More chance of perfoming in this role than when shoved to the wing under CC.

Regarding this tall commanding CB everyone is going on about ... Fairly sure that was supposed to be Van Aken. 

He looked exactly that for about 3 games until we played the pigs at home. He's never been the same since. 

The idea was there at least. 

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Only a friendly I know but here goes,

It now seems crystal clear that the finest keeper in my 45 plus years watching Wednesday is being sacrificed for FFP...…….a poor indictment of our financial policy over the last two years, and amazingly most on here seem happy with it !!

Thanks for everything KW and all the best, I for one will be sorry to see you go.

We have decent options in the attacking third...….FF , Joao, Fletcher, Nuhiu (poor today though) and Matias.

We are one injury away (Bannan) from having a non existent midfield, Hutch should be in the back 3, Jones is still abject and Pelupessy is a little anonymous.

Why does Adam Reach look like he has put a stone in weight on?

We do not have ONE championship quality wingback in the squad.

Central defence is STILL ( 2 and a half years after Wembley) crying out for a tall commanding captain like figure with presence.

Abdi is fit...…………….but still wont be considered.

Foolhardy to draw conclusions on pre season but if I had to call it tonight I would say mid table at best unless we strengthen.

Can't argue with a word of that fella.

8 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Regarding this tall commanding CB everyone is going on about ... Fairly sure that was supposed to be Van Aken. 

He looked exactly that for about 3 games until we played the pigs at home. He's never been the same since. 

The idea was there at least. 

Another strange one..:manager: reckons he looked at 250 cb’s ..and v a was the best

16 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Another strange one..:manager: reckons he looked at 250 cb’s ..and v a was the best

After failed bids for Keogh & Flint

iirc Carlos made a point of wanting captain / with Championship experience

My thoughts..We were up against a strong La Liga club and it’s a pre season friendly.

Villareyal are good few levels above us quality wise in a match that was no real marker of where we are due to the level of effort that players generally out in these games.

..thus the hand wringing and hysteria post result is largely unwarranted.