Liam Palmer

He's nowhere near good enough for a team with aspirations of winning promotion. I think it's much more likely that Jos has identified Ash Baker as a possible replacement for Hunt. If someone comes in with an offer we will be thanking him for his service and wishing him good luck

7 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

He's nowhere near good enough for a team with aspirations of winning promotion. I think it's much more likely that Jos has identified Ash Baker as a possible replacement for Hunt. If someone comes in with an offer we will be thanking him for his service and wishing him good luck

Probably true of most of our players at the moment

Nothing against Palmer, he's been a loyal servant to Wednesday but when last season finished, he was one of the players who I thought we really should be looking to unload. Some of his performances last season were bang average to say the least. Ipswich at home springs to mind, he was truly woeful.

On 07/07/2018 at 09:31, folger said:

I used to prefer Palmer to Hunt, However I felt when Palmer did get in the team he let himself down massively the problem for me is that he seems to suffer from these massive lapses of concentration throughout the game I have seen him play far better both defensively and offensively than Hunt but there is no consistency or development. 

Think most of those lapses were caused by his failure to get into position quickly enough.

A fully fit Palmer might look very different, but I still think our problems revolve around not having pacey wing backs, both left and right.

7 minutes ago, Moz_Wednesday said:

Then there’s this....

D8FF41B7-7DC2-4F33-AF00-E302DAE80BCD.jpeg

If we're looking to tie down a player who's been a back up full back I sincerely hope we've initiated talks with the likes of Bannan, Lee, Hooper & Joao.

6 minutes ago, mogbad said:

If we're looking to tie down a player who's been a back up full back I sincerely hope we've initiated talks with the likes of Bannan, Lee, Hooper & Joao.

I think Hunts departure indicates that we probably have initiated those talks. I expect some of them will take a little time though.

Edited by Sonny

32 minutes ago, Moz_Wednesday said:

Then there’s this....

D8FF41B7-7DC2-4F33-AF00-E302DAE80BCD.jpeg

Mixed feelings about this, my hope was we would replace Hunt with a better right wing back and have Baker or Lee as his back up. But giving palmer a new deal could suggest otherwise 

33 minutes ago, mogbad said:

You’d like to think so!! Especially Bannan & Joao. 

Hooper is a great player...just whether he can stay fit, same goes for Lee

If Palmer is the standard of player we're looking to resign then I'd be seriously worried at the club's and indeed chairman's aspirations for the coming season.  Mid table at best with few injuries and a fair wind with this squad! 

Edited by Wisey

On 07/07/2018 at 12:22, Midweekowl said:

I often see Liam in our local gym, let me tell you guys, this kid is fit and “He’e one of our own” 

He hasn't got the fitness for a championship wing back.

You don't have to be in the gym to see that.

10 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Palmer is underrated.

And he has never really had a decent manager guiding him.

Under Jos you may see him thrive. 

Hopefully he does but he's our longest serving player so will have seen more managers than the rest. Others have thrived during that time.

There comes a time where Palmer has to hold his hand up & admit that the reason he hasn't thrived is solely down to himself, either through limitations in his ability or lack of application.

28 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Palmer is underrated.

And he has never really had a decent manager guiding him.

Under Jos you may see him thrive. 

Thought I was on my own with this thought.

I can see why Palmer has people on his back but when some get praise for very little, it's hard to see why this guy is such a scapegoat.

Also, as Palmer has had so many managers now during his short time at Hillsborough, your statement about never having been managed properly is quite frightening!   I do disagree slightly, Grey is a good coach and will have had some impact on Palmer. 

On 07/07/2018 at 09:03, AwokenGiant said:

Looking at the training photos from last week, it looks like he’s in good shape and keeping up with the leaders of the pack in terms of fitness. I think if Jos and has team can polish up his rough edges, I believe we may have an excellent championship RB on our hands. The lad can certainly defend better than Hunt (in my opinion) and is just as quick going forward. Whilst Hunt was tidier in possession, they both lack an end product. All in all, I feel there is not much difference between the two players and although LP gets critism from some, I can v much understand Jos’s thinking in terms of letting Hunt (a far big earner) go. One thing is clear is that Palmer is a player that needs to be given confidence and if it is him that steps into the boots of Hunt, I hope some of our fans remain patient with him. 

UTO. 

He was being lapped.

• Haha 1