Liam Palmer

Looking at the training photos from last week, it looks like he’s in good shape and keeping up with the leaders of the pack in terms of fitness. I think if Jos and has team can polish up his rough edges, I believe we may have an excellent championship RB on our hands. The lad can certainly defend better than Hunt (in my opinion) and is just as quick going forward. Whilst Hunt was tidier in possession, they both lack an end product. All in all, I feel there is not much difference between the two players and although LP gets critism from some, I can v much understand Jos’s thinking in terms of letting Hunt (a far big earner) go. One thing is clear is that Palmer is a player that needs to be given confidence and if it is him that steps into the boots of Hunt, I hope some of our fans remain patient with him. 

UTO. 

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 2

I think a lot depends on him, how much does he want to be in the first 11 for a team wanting promotion? 

He's gonna have to double his efforts, work harder on his fitness, extra training to improve his technical ability and his passing. If he wants it and works his flipping socks off and has a manager that can instill confidence and give him a carrot to chase then you never know. It's in his hands to a certain extent. 

1 minute ago, mozzy85 said:

I think a lot depends on him, how much does he want to be in the first 11 for a team wanting promotion? 

He's gonna have to double his efforts, work harder on his fitness, extra training to improve his technical ability and his passing. If he wants it and works his flipping socks off and has a manager that can instill confidence and give him a carrot to chase then you never know. It's in his hands to a certain extent. 

Totally, but I’ve never felt that LP’s problem is work rate or desire. I do however think (when considering the sale of Hunt and potential opportunity for LP) that Palmer working under Jos is a good fit. 

Let's hope he take his chance but isn't he also out of contract in 12 months, what would a bigger confidence boost than a new longer deal, at the very worst he is a decent squad player to have and as said cannot be on big money.

I have a theory that none of our full backs are what Jos wants.

What sets apart Hunt from Palmer are probably wages and fitness - I still imagine Palmer would be 2nd choice next season but I also agree that maybe he can be moulded better into the player Jos wants for that position too.

17 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Looking at the training photos from last week, it looks like he’s in good shape and keeping up with the leaders of the pack in terms of fitness. I think if Jos and has team can polish up his rough edges, I believe we may have an excellent championship RB on our hands. The lad can certainly defend better than Hunt (in my opinion) and is just as quick going forward. Whilst Hunt was tidier in possession, they both lack an end product. All in all, I feel there is not much difference between the two players and although LP gets critism from some, I can v much understand Jos’s thinking in terms of letting Hunt (a far big earner) go. One thing is clear is that Palmer is a player that needs to be given confidence and if it is him that steps into the boots of Hunt, I hope some of our fans remain patient with him. 

UTO. 

I find it absolutely incredible that you can tell his fitness just from looking at some still photos, a millisecond captured in time. Move over Pep... AwokenGiant is hitting the scene. As for the latter bit, remaining patient is something our fans have done a lot for with him. We've seen him play well over 100 games for Wednesday, and our young breakthrough academy product is turning 27 in September. I don't really know how much longer we have to wait for him to come good. 

Look, I don't want to come in and try and sh*t all over a positive thread about the players. Especially one that clearly tries like Palmer. Maybe Jos can turn him around... but IMO he'd need a revelation like Nuhiu's had, because he truly is the worst RB I think I've seen play for Wednesday in the 4ish years I've been watching us. I know that's hardly a great yardstick for judging if a player is good or bad... but I don't get how you can be so positive about him. Even your statement about him being better than Hunt defensively (something I used to subscribe to) has no basis when you look at the stats and compare how many tackles, interceptions, and aerial battles the two win. 

I admire the positive thread, but I just can't see it as anything other than blind and foolish optimism. But it goes without saying... I ruddy hope you're right

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, agentwalker said:

You've mentioned his major problem, no end product. What age is he now? If he's not managed to improve on that by now, I think he's come as far as he can with regards to development. Good as a backup but we need better.

I disagree - consider Nuhiu’s end product last season under Jos compared to before!?

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I find it absolutely incredible that you can tell his fitness just from looking at some still photos, a millisecond captured in time. Move over Pep... AwokenGiant is hitting the scene. As for the latter bit, remaining patient is something our fans have done a lot for with him. We've seen him play well over 100 games for Wednesday, and our young breakthrough academy product is turning 27 in September. I don't really know how much longer we have to wait for him to come good. 

Look, I don't want to come in and try and sh*t all over a positive thread about the players. Especially one that clearly tries like Palmer. Maybe Jos can turn him around... but IMO he'd need a revelation like Nuhiu's had, because he truly is the worst RB I think I've seen play for Wednesday in the 4ish years I've been watching us. I know that's hardly a great yardstick for judging if a player is good or bad... but I don't get how you can be so positive about him. Even your statement about him being better than Hunt defensively (something I used to subscribe to) has no basis when you look at the stats and compare how many tackles, interceptions, and aerial battles the two win. 

I admire the positive thread, but I just can't see it as anything other than blind and foolish optimism. But it goes without saying... I ruddy hope you're right

Easy, both Boyd and Pelupessy have been identified previously for their great fitness, LP’s is running in the front (same) pack. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Well if he manages to win us round & become a decent wing back it’ll be the biggest turnaround ever on the history of Wednesday players, yes even more than atty 

go & do it Liam, what do we all know mate 

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Ps I really don’t think he is that bad and as said in the OP, not much different to Hunt. 

Just now, AwokenGiant said:

Easy, both Boyd and Pelupessy have been identified previously for the fitness, LP’s is running in the front pack. 

Yeah, but... I mean... it's a photo. You don't know if Palmer's just got back from curling out a 14inch wonder in the bogs and joined the pack, or if he's done 16 more laps than them and the others are flagging behind, or if there's another group of like 5 players ahead of them all in another pack...

You're having to make an awful lot of assumptions here. I don't get how anyone can determine a player's ability to run around a pitch for 90 minutes based on a millisecond of visual information with the only context being "these men are running/jogging"

2 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Easy, both Boyd and Pelupessy have been identified previously for the fitness, LP’s is running in the front pack. 

Wow we have a player on our hands if this is true

Wait till he tells his parents he can keep up with the bigger boys at school

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Yeah, but... I mean... it's a photo. You don't know if Palmer's just got back from curling out a 14inch wonder in the bogs and joined the pack, or if he's done 16 more laps than them and the others are flagging behind, or if there's another group of like 5 players ahead of them all in another pack...

You're having to make an awful lot of assumptions here. I don't get how anyone can determine a player's ability to run around a pitch for 90 minutes based on a millisecond of visual information with the only context being "these men are running/jogging"

Nonsense , not only is he keeping with the bigger boys, you can clearly see he's not out of breath or even sweating !

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Fair do’s, but it’s not as if I’ve not seen the lad play (although some would argue I haven’t based on my OP), you can see on the pitch that he’s not short of fitness or pace (as said before this for me is not his weakness). The fact that he’s running with the leading pack, reinforces this. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

8 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Ps I really don’t think he is that bad and as said in the OP, not much different to Hunt. 

And that's totally fair! I won't knock your opinion... you're entitled to it and my following sentence in no means invalidates your opinion. But, I'm just making the point that if you look at the actual numbers, there's no factual basis for saying that Palmer is a better defender than Hunt. I guess my point is I'm trying to make is that, as of yet, your opinion has yet to be backed up by stats that can turn it into the much coveted Owlstalk 'FACT'. But that doesn't make it wrong, just... very difficult to prove right now. Hopefully if LP does end up being our main RB this season, he can get us all putting "Palmer is a better defender than Hunt, FACT" posts :biggrin:

Edited by StudentOwl