Liam Palmer

13 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Easy, both Boyd and Pelupessy have been identified previously for their great fitness, LP’s is running in the front (same) pack. 

You fo know that a photograph is merely a moment in time.....for all we know they might have been lapping him!! lol

• Thanks 1

He should be haunted by that photo at Forest. Shameful. Yet it does mean there’s scope for his performances to be much improved this season. I hope we bring in another RB/RWB but Palmer will get his chances...

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
21 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

I disagree - consider Nuhiu’s end product last season under Jos compared to before!?

Agree. Let's see how they start the new season and judge everyone after a proper pre season.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

In a flat back 4 he is very competent, but limited once he crosses the half way line so as a wing back he is not going to be a good fit.

In a 433 think he could do a job, but not in any variation of a 3 CB defence we played most of last season.

Last season when Hunt was fit he was first choice. That tells me Jos thought he was the better player.

If Palmer is to be our first choice RB we will be weaker as a team unless Palmer improves. Maybe Jos sees something he can work on in Palmer.

I suspect we let Hunt go because he was overpaid for what he offered and we either didn't think he was worth a new contract next year or we didn't think he would sign without even bigger wages. Better to shift him out now and get a fee rather than let him go for free.

My own view is that Hunt was a decent player but not irreplaceable, Palmer is ok but if we want promotion he's going to have to step up or be replaced.

Everything points to this being a year of consolidation until we get clear of FFP problems next season.  

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

I disagree - consider Nuhiu’s end product last season under Jos compared to before!?

Yes but with Nuhiu, since day one we've seen glimpse of what he's capable of. And games where he's bossed players, even premier league players. Can you honestly say you've seen a single game were you've looked at Palmer and thought "we've got a player on our hands here"?

22 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Yes but with Nuhiu, since day one we've seen glimpse of what he's capable of. And games where he's bossed players, even premier league players. Can you honestly say you've seen a single game were you've looked at Palmer and thought "we've got a player on our hands here"?

No, but weirdly enough I have thought that but with the question-mark inside the quotation marks lol 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

No, but weirdly enough I have thought that but with the question-mark inside the quotation marks lol 

garymegson sure i've got it right grammar police. 

"we've got a player on our hands" is a statement not a question. The question in the text is me asking "can you honestly say .... and thought". so the question mark belongs outside.

Just now, agentwalker said:

garymegson sure i've got it right grammar police. 

"we've got a player on our hands" is a statement not a question. The question in the text is me asking "can you honestly say .... and thought". so the question mark belongs outside.

Hey, your grammar's on point when making the statement "we've got a player on our hands". I'm saying I sometimes ask if Palmer's even a player... "We've got a player on our hands here?" :stuwinky:

• Haha 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Hey, your grammar's on point when making the statement "we've got a player on our hands". I'm saying I sometimes ask if Palmer's even a player... "We've got a player on our hands here?" :stuwinky:

:ph34r:  Sorry, I don't enter the world of the living until gone 11

Perhaps the trouble with palmer is the same as it was with Atde. Under previous managers, he has never had a truly consistent run in  the team! I have frequentlyseen him have an excellent game, only to find himslf benchedo even dropped for the next game. It's easy to say 'play for yourplace' when you know tha, ccome what may, you are still considered second best.

Contrary to popular thinking, I consider that Palmer is quite pacey, and many of his crosss , though pin point, are not taken advantage of. He mus also be given the backing ofother players if he makes arun frward. Very few of the Natonal sides in this year's WC arre playig with true full backs. In fact the better teams are playing a  system of interchangeability, and to great effect. 

We’ve kept the better of the two, and Palmer is useful at this level It’s possible we might find better, but given our current situation, perhaps not

Personally, I think Liam has got some improvement still to come, but he needs to believe a bit more

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

And that's totally fair! I won't knock your opinion... you're entitled to it and my following sentence in no means invalidates your opinion. But, I'm just making the point that if you look at the actual numbers, there's no factual basis for saying that Palmer is a better defender than Hunt. I guess my point is I'm trying to make is that, as of yet, your opinion has yet to be backed up by stats that can turn it into the much coveted Owlstalk 'FACT'. But that doesn't make it wrong, just... very difficult to prove right now. Hopefully if LP does end up being our main RB this season, he can get us all putting "Palmer is a better defender than Hunt, FACT" posts :biggrin:

Stats dont always tell the story though. Number of games, coming on as sub, starting games, actual minutes on pitch. Under Carlos knowing even if you scored a hatrick you would be onbench next game. The pressure from fans, constantly slagging you off. 

I for one will give him a chance based on him getting a decent run of about a dozen games. Come on Liam, its now up to you. 

2 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Totally, but I’ve never felt that LP’s problem is work rate or desire. I do however think (when considering the sale of Hunt and potential opportunity for LP) that Palmer working under Jos is a good fit. 

Hes got the work rate and desire, just not the talent!