Hunt the 1st to go - more to follow

The players we'll sell won't be the ones the fans want out, and I don't see them selling the crown jewels.

Not only would it scupper our own promotion bid, but it would help our rivals.

They're the only clubs which can afford them.

The players we'll sell will be the ones in that third group, the players we'd rather keep but we'll release at a push to cut costs.

Westwood would fit into that third category, as we have replacements.

On 06/07/2018 at 16:43, Alan Robinson said:

There's a couple of Owls fans that regularly post on otib. They are welcomed by all but one of our members. We enjoy the contribution from other fans comments and their perceptions of us - it's good to have an an unbiased view.

We are all football fans after all as equally passion about our own club.

Ive posted that many of us would like to see Bannon and or Reach at Ashton Gate and given your financial difficulties that might be possible but none of us have any idea whether they are on Lee Johnson's shopping list so it's wishful thinking on our part.

You are the first Owls fan that has hinted that I'm unwelcome here - just like the guy on otib is to other clubs fans.

Don’t worry most of us enjoy reading balanced opinions of oppo fans, and in particular I’m sure most of us thoroughly enjoy the insight you give when we come round to our two games against you guys.

On 05/07/2018 at 14:52, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Selling a player does not free up his wages. 

If a club sells a player, they have to pay up his outstanding wages in full the day he goes. 

Often a settlement is reached, say 60%, but not always and if he don't want to go, the player will hold out for full outstanding wages. Particularly if the new club are offering him less wages. 

This is offset by a fee coming in from the buying club, but think about it. 

If player x is on 25k a week, and has one year left, that's £1.3 million. So if the club receives a fee of 1.3 million, then it's break even. No money for a transfer kitty. 

Think we are jettisoning the liability of injury prone players on the Hunt transfer and relying on maybe fitter, cheaper younger players already here. 

This is 100% correct. It’s also another reason why Bosman signings attract higher signing on payments.

Thats the other variable. Player/agent may be prepared to waive or compromise the selling club’s obligations if signing fee is part of that. Often used by buying  clubs to sweeten the deal.

However if player wants a double pay day, and the club are desperate to sell.... it’s all about leverage.

so paying up the contract might be part of the deal. Only if buying club agrees. Often compromise is reached.

2 minutes ago, pussface said:

This is 100% correct. It’s also another reason why Bosman signings attract higher signing on payments.

Thats the other variable. Player/agent may be prepared to waive or compromise the selling club’s obligations if signing fee is part of that. Often used by buying  clubs to sweeten the deal.

However if player wants a double pay day, and the club are desperate to sell.... it’s all about leverage.

so paying up the contract might be part of the deal. Only if buying club agrees. Often compromise is reached.

Agreed. It's all outlined in one of the secret footballer books - exactly as described by Bolsterstone.

I know a couple of young lads at a couple of different clubs and professional football is a dark, merciless being. It's ruthless. So much goes on that 'fans' have no idea about.

5 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Thank you gentlemen.

I was called a cuunt and alsorts the other day by a few brain dead idiots who have no idea what goes on in football. 

They won't be big enough to apologise either I'm sure. 

Yeah but they’ve played Champ Manager 3, so of course they know everything...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Thank you gentlemen.

I was called a cuunt and alsorts the other day by a few brain dead idiots who have no idea what goes on in football. 

Say owt on here that isn't already being said and you tend to get slated. 

Always been like that. 

Keep posting pal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

The reason the fee was so low for Hunt could have been because he was given a hefty signing on to cover his lost wages (at Wednesday). So we maybe took a hit on his value to show it as a saving on his wages. 

The fee was low because he was in the final year of his contract

12 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

The reason the fee was so low for Hunt could have been because he was given a hefty signing on to cover his lost wages (at Wednesday). So we maybe took a hit on his value to show it as a saving on his wages. 

Do people think the fee was low!

The guy can’t defend, .looks a good deal to me should never have signed him in the first place, was another poor signing from us along with numerous others.

Just hope we can get rid of some of ther other dead wood to give Jos the chance to bring in a few players

11 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Do people think the fee was low!

The guy can’t defend, .looks a good deal to me should never have signed him in the first place, was another poor signing from us along with numerous others.

Just hope we can get rid of some of ther other dead wood to give Jos the chance to bring in a few players

To refer to Jack Hunt as dead wood (its been insinuated by saying just hope we can get rid of OTHER deadwood), when he was part of a defence that had a sublime clean sheet record and got us to 2 play offs, is quite frankly a disgrace. 

Poor signing? Do me a favour.

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

To refer to Jack Hunt as dead wood (its been insinuated by saying just hope we can get rid of OTHER deadwood), when he was part of a defence that had a sublime clean sheet record and got us to 2 play offs, is quite frankly a disgrace. 

Poor signing? Do me a favour.

All about opinions, can’t defend, no end product going forward, totally flatters to deceive because he looks very purposeful with a bit of pace down the line. 

The sublime clean sheet record you refer to was achieved by the team, not the defence, 

What I am saying is the fee involved is not bad, considering my opinion of him.

I don’t know you, so no favours due to you....sorry.:rolleyes:

On 14/07/2018 at 09:41, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Thank you gentlemen.

it's just jealousy, mate.

For what it's worth, I think the fee for Hunt covered his outstanding wages we would have owed him to his contract end. We then payed him this. He then was able to sign for Bristol at a lower weekly wage. 

I think we sussed he would go for nothing next window or next summer. Knowing he wouldn't play more than 25 games probably. Hence £20k odd a week less to pay out from right now. 

That leaves nothing for the transfer pot but shows we are trying to get our finances in order. 

Problem is with no money to spend and players needing to go, other than FF, BB, TL, or AR, that is the very best we can hope for in a deal. 

29 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

For what it's worth, I think the fee for Hunt covered his outstanding wages we would have owed him to his contract end. We then payed him this. He then was able to sign for Bristol at a lower weekly wage. 

I think we sussed he would go for nothing next window or next summer. Knowing he wouldn't play more than 25 games probably. Hence £20k odd a week less to pay out from right now. 

That leaves nothing for the transfer pot but shows we are trying to get our finances in order. 

Problem is with no money to spend and players needing to go, other than FF, BB, TL, or AR, that is the very best we can hope for in a deal. 

Doubt it, think the fee was low (even with only a year left) and l believe the remainder (or majority) of our valuation would have contributed to his pay-up. What’s the point in selling him and paying that money out to him - we might as well have just kept him. 

Edited by AwokenGiant