Carlos is missing us !

4 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

hatred is the wrong word , and as for the football the season we finished 4th was absolutely dire I can only remember 2-3 home games were we were entertained ,he was given 39 million a club debt free at the time and once he was given the pen to sign players (jan 2016)  he blew it now we are left with Carlos's legacy 2-3 years in the bargain basement until we shift are of Carlos's dross out. 

So many other Championship clubs have spent a fortune and have blown it, it was a gamble and it so nearly came off.  If we had won at Wembley and survived the first couple of seasons then both CC and DC would have been hailed as the greatest ever.  Yes, he ultimately failed and he has paid the price the fans wanted him out and DC duly obliged.

For me if Jos is not in the reckoning by Christmas he to will face a barrage of criticism, and personal remarks will be used against him (call it hate, should you wish).  Football, in general, has taken a turn for the worse and it's the fans who are demanding instant success, there is no time to build, it must be done now.  

The manager after Jos will have even shorter time in control before concerns are raised.  Jos seems a sensible no-nonsense type but it will take a very thick skin not to be affected by comments made on social media.  It won't come to any ones surprise that it won't be long before the average managers life-span in charge in the Championship will be under a season. 

I also wonder what a manager needs on his CV to get a job in the Championship, CC will have on his that he achieved reaching the playoffs in two out of three seasons but I think that would cut little respect from the fans.  We seem to be getting to the point that no one will have the attributes to manage a club.

If we don't win the first two league games of the season the sound of knives been sharpened will be heard.  

Everything is OK

• Like 2

On 21/06/2018 at 00:16, wednesdaylander said:

On holiday in Portugal at the minute, and who pops up as a pundit on their World Cup coverage, only Carlos ! Asked the bloke behind the bar to translate. Apart from the normal discussion about Portugal's games so far, he talked about his time in England and how he was shocked by our passion for football. Said he loved Sheffield and the people, and his biggest regret was not winning at Wembley. Swansea was a good opportunity to manage in the Premier League , but it was a hard ask to keep them up and didn't have the finances to compete. Bloke behind the bar didn't really know who he was, but said he talked a good game, and seemed to genuinely miss being in England. 

Sauce?..

13 hours ago, Watson said:

The manager after Jos will have even shorter time in control before concerns are raised.  Jos seems a sensible no-nonsense type but it will take a very thick skin not to be affected by comments made on social media.

You're overly obsessed with this point

Fans have every right to express their opinions. That's the whole point of social media

Owlstalk Shop

On 21/06/2018 at 00:16, wednesdaylander said:

On holiday in Portugal at the minute, and who pops up as a pundit on their World Cup coverage, only Carlos ! Asked the bloke behind the bar to translate. Apart from the normal discussion about Portugal's games so far, he talked about his time in England and how he was shocked by our passion for football. Said he loved Sheffield and the people, and his biggest regret was not winning at Wembley. Swansea was a good opportunity to manage in the Premier League , but it was a hard ask to keep them up and didn't have the finances to compete. Bloke behind the bar didn't really know who he was, but said he talked a good game, and seemed to genuinely miss being in England. 

'talked a good game' then when they've heard it a dozen times, they'll realise he's talking a load of borrocks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Watson said:

So many other Championship clubs have spent a fortune and have blown it, it was a gamble and it so nearly came off.  If we had won at Wembley and survived the first couple of seasons then both CC and DC would have been hailed as the greatest ever.  Yes, he ultimately failed and he has paid the price the fans wanted him out and DC duly obliged.

For me if Jos is not in the reckoning by Christmas he to will face a barrage of criticism, and personal remarks will be used against him (call it hate, should you wish).  Football, in general, has taken a turn for the worse and it's the fans who are demanding instant success, there is no time to build, it must be done now.  

The manager after Jos will have even shorter time in control before concerns are raised.  Jos seems a sensible no-nonsense type but it will take a very thick skin not to be affected by comments made on social media.  It won't come to any ones surprise that it won't be long before the average managers life-span in charge in the Championship will be under a season. 

I also wonder what a manager needs on his CV to get a job in the Championship, CC will have on his that he achieved reaching the playoffs in two out of three seasons but I think that would cut little respect from the fans.  We seem to be getting to the point that no one will have the attributes to manage a club.

If we don't win the first two league games of the season the sound of knives been sharpened will be heard.  

Everything is OK

carlos had what the vast majority of wednesday managers have not had, 'plenty of money', despite spending an absolute fortune (by our standards) his achievements were to alter our style of play into a 'southern european' style, with no plan B for when things went wrong, and (perhaps the most telling) introduced a fitness (or should i say lack of fitness) regime that was utterly staggering for a modern day professional football club.

none of us yet know fully what departures and (if any) incomings will be, to lose ff, bannan, jaoa, etc. will hit us hard, however if we can hold onto such players i do believe jos has already showed us enough to suggest he may have a tad more oil in his lamp than 'el clownio' had.

20 hours ago, room0035 said:

He came in with a fully fit team well drilled by previous manager Stuart Gray someone who got free agents in Lees, Lee, Hutch, Westwood who today when fit are the back bone of our team, Glenn Roeder assembled a team of loans, cheap signing and good players available for free and yes Carlos after 10 games got us playing as a team where work ethic and 100% passion and commitment was the norm - had we had played from game 1 and not game 11 we would have been promoted that season. But when up against an experienced manager in Bruce showed his tactically ability to not be of the level of his piers. Taking 4 months to get Hooper fit when signing on loan then permanently was a sign of what was to come with get player match fitness.

He then started to have his way with the team signing players not needed, bringing loan players who never played, only picking his favourites and not managing the team both off and on the pitch, bar a lot of lucky late goals and the ability of one man Fernando we would have been no where near the second season. Then another none existent preseason, 7-8 of the first team allowed to do what they wanted and injuries started happening to everyone as the team again had not been properly prepared for the rigers of the championship and a 50+ game season.

Yes we did get to Wembley but a measure of a manager is where where we when he arrive and where were we when he left - well we were lower down the league, saddled with a squad of aging 30+ players on silly contracts, our best young players leaving the club because of the favoritism policy of the manager and fans at loggerheads with each other. Had he stayed to the end of this season and not gone to Swansea we were heading down because half of the squad never played and the other other where never fit to play. See the comments of players like Nuihu coming out about the way the squad players were treated was an eye opener for even the most ardent Carlos fans.

I just wish there was a way we could have seen what would have happened had Gray been kept as manager and given the same level of backing as Carlos got, would we have got to the Premier League in the first year or even the play off probably not, but he would build a good work man like team mixed in with youth and bought quality I feel the team would now be in the premier league or fighting each year to be and not saddled with £20m of losses each year and a wage bill approaching £30m. But we will never know other than the team he ended up at after us Fulham where he still is and yes they are now a premier League team - so maybe that is your answer.

we did score a lot of late goals , why is that lucky though ?...………...you make quite a few points I agree with and a  few I don't but your spot on with a manager should be judged on where we were when he arrived and where we were when he left and that says without a shadow of a doubt  carlos failed in the end   ……..for what it's worth I also would have kept gray on as head coach though whether things would have been done differently on the doyen/advisors /committee front is a moot point . melo,bus,vermilj you'd think were forced on gray due to him hardly playing them in the short time he had them .

23 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I wont give a bloke respect who ruined players and played them when not fit.

For a man who played negative tactics and neglected basic fitness. He did well because he had the most money to spend  of any manager in our history, had the players Gray brought in and kept fit. 

When it it was clear his attitude rubbed off our performances dropped. I raised concerns after the Rotherham win.

He tainted his ‘legacy’. Spunked our best 2 chances in 2 decades of gettting back to the premier league with negative tactics. 

Yeh let’s respect that shall we. 

yet the carlosites keep taking the 'snake oil' he sold them, having been fully reassured that eventually their hero will be vindicated, and the 'snake oil' will make their hair and d*cks grow.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Kind of agree..but you can play it up or down...Hate is a strong word

But it's rather immature and stinks of bitterness.

22 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I agree that he left the squad in tatters and compounded injuries..And the guy was as slick as it comes and obviously amazing at self promotion.

We can't compare ourselves with Cardiff..What about the other teams that had spent just as much (if not more) and ended up back in the same division as us.

But almost all of our fans bought into project Carlos and the second season he did actually achieve the target of reaching 4th...thats not to be sniffed at, despite not considering our long term future.

In my opinion he still is a good manager that had us playing sumptuous football in his first season.  His second season he tried a more defensive approach which was two games away from being a master stroke, despite many people moaning about it being difficult on the eyes. And when the squad started to fall apart and he ran out of ideas it was his time to move on.  Things like this happen to clubs all the time and most clubs in the Championship have ended up in this position at some point.  Sht happens, we move on.

21 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

This is mostly either opinion, guesswork, hopeful daydreaming or clutching on straws.  Or even perhaps owlstalk myths.

7 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

been diagnosed then?

Just now, dnhc said:

been diagnosed then?

Thats exactly my point. Why would my opinion of an ex manager be full of praise or hate for him.  I get the fact that most people can't seem to see beyond that.

He made some mistakes and he did some things brilliantly.

Thats just life

Burnley had a great season and our manager performed miracles, but I cannot forgive Dyche for losing 1-0 to Swansea in February.

Swans were admittedly enjoying "new manage bounce" but I was angry Dyche was outdone tactically by Carlos the Barbecue Man.

One win at home to Southampton would have kept Swansea up but Carlos blew it big style.

Edited by ReluctantNicko

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

we did score a lot of late goals , why is that lucky though ?...………...you make quite a few points I agree with and a  few I don't but your spot on with a manager should be judged on where we were when he arrived and where we were when he left and that says without a shadow of a doubt  carlos failed in the end   ……..for what it's worth I also would have kept gray on as head coach though whether things would have been done differently on the doyen/advisors /committee front is a moot point . melo,bus,vermilj you'd think were forced on gray due to him hardly playing them in the short time he had them .

I remember the games like Rotherham where we were losing and then we played 7 minutes injury time when there was no real injures and we won 3-2. Luck balance itself out over the season but we did seem to score a lot of late goals that season.

I think with a summer the plan and a proper budget Gray would have done well, Vermij Bus where Gray players guys who had something but need developing I could see Gray improving both, Melo was injuries again with proper fitness and training who knows.

Carlos seem to not want to bring players in to improve but get the finish article from the start,which is good but ften these players are more expensive and the value will not increase only decline as they get older.