800k for Fred

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Think he could form a very good partnership with Van Aken If we are planning on playing three at the back, we’d still need another one

You say that, and I was thinking the same. However we would have Pudil, Lees, Venancio, Van aken and Thorniley. Plus Nielsen too.  So 6-7 centre backs for 3 positions may be a bit excessive. 

However i am still hoping we can sign a big brute of a centre back to really toughen us up 

Solid and simple centre half, and appears to not be made of rust like many of our other squad members.  Assuming our tactics next season will involve less messing about at the back than the carlos days, there is nothing wrong with this fella being back there heading and blocking.

Playing devils advocate, if we need to make money signing Fredi up for £800k could mean we could offload Lees for a big wedge and not dent the defense but improve the books. I am not saying do this but it could be a way to generate funds and not weaken the team.

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Please specify what our Financial restrictions are in hard cash terms ? All to easy to give 'A generic sailing close to the FFP wind' ?

Ben 10 I believe has suffered a serious knee ligament injury ? any light on this one.

It’s well documented we are close to the FFP limit. Fred and Marhsall on the face of it are two players that would improve our squad and not cost the earth. Whether you’re under a restricted budget or not, it makes good business sense. 

As for Marshall’s injury if he’s out beyond the window closing then obviously we would need to look elsewhere but if he’s fit by that time then he’s worth a look. 

4 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

You say that, and I was thinking the same. However we would have Pudil, Lees, Venancio, Van aken and Thorniley. Plus Nielsen too.  So 6-7 centre backs for 3 positions may be a bit excessive. 

However i am still hoping we can sign a big brute of a centre back to really toughen us up 

It may seem a lot of centre halfs but out of that list Pudil can't play 3 games in a week, Van Aken isn't going to be fit for the foreseeable future, Lees has had months out in both the last 2 seasons, which leave us with 2 kids

At the moment we are 2 centre halfs down from the end of the last season. We need at least one in

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Playing devils advocate, if we need to make money signing Fredi up for £800k could mean we could offload Lees for a big wedge and not dent the defense but improve the books. I am not saying do this but it could be a way to generate funds and not weaken the team.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly.  I think that the sale of Lees would make an absolutely monumental dent in our defence. 

His sale would be of huge detriment to the team and weaken us massively. 

The return of him, Bannan and FF down the spine of the side was one of the reasons for our up turn in form. 

I don't think his return can be looked at as anything other than a colossal boost to our end of season fortunes.

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have to disagree wholeheartedly.  I think that the sale of Lees would make an absolutely monumental dent in our defence. 

His sale would be of huge detriment to the team and weaken us massively. 

The return of him, Bannan and FF down the spine of the side was one of the reasons for our up turn in form. 

I don't think his return can be looked at as anything other than a colossal boost to our end of season fortunes.

I was only stating that if the club had to make some money to be able to find a ready made replacement for £800k and maybe then sell lees for £5m+ would be good business.

In no way would I want one of our better players sold.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well it's always us being asked to put both hands on the table isn't it. 

Nice to see us driving a hard bargain for a change. 

Both hands on the table.....lol

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It’s well documented we are close to the FFP limit. Fred and Marhsall on the face of it are two players that would improve our squad and not cost the earth. Whether you’re under a restricted budget or not, it makes good business sense. 

As for Marshall’s injury if he’s out beyond the window closing then obviously we would need to look elsewhere but if he’s fit by that time then he’s worth a look. 

The problem is there is innuendo but nothing I would concur with as well documented fact. Certainly nothing from the horses mouth. 

I cannot understand why we would settle for an average defender simply because he is available for a good price. Must be looking at better if we are looking for top 6 next season. 

Edited by zakswfc

It will be interesting to see van akens progress next season. He was hopeless until the last few games before injury where he looked like a player.

has lots of potential if he can finally get his footwork  sorted out and get fit.  But I wonder if a more simple and direct style from jos built around more mobility and anchored around big adthe up front means the need for a ball stroker in defence like van aken has diminished.

to be van aken was bought because Carlos had run out of ideas as to how to create chances given lack of pace and how easy we were to close down, so gambled on a kid who could potentially create from centre back by pinging balls to feet 80 yards away. Nice in theory but you need to be able to defend as well when you are back there. 

16 minutes ago, zakswfc said:

I cannot understand why we would settle for an average defender simply because he is available for a good price. Must be looking at better if we are looking for top 6 next season. 

Bonucci perhaps? Ramos?

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Losing lees would weaken the team (or the defence). We learnt from that last season when he was out and then noticed considerable improvement when he came back in 

44 minutes ago, zakswfc said:

This has to be a wind up, it is, isn't it, if not you are well deluded. We have no money ffs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The problem is there is innuendo but nothing I would concur with as well documented fact. Certainly nothing from the horses mouth. 

Well if you mean not by the horses mouth DC stating this in the steering group meeting or the figures from the club accounts, then yeah total innuendo :CEO::Chansiri: