Does your opinion change on keeping the same players at #SWFC?

Sometimes I think we're bonkers to have the same players at the club season in, season out, and sometimes I think it's a great idea to show loyalty both ways and try to build a team with a great understanding of each other.

My opinion sways

After seeing the Nuhiu video this morning I'm now of the opinion that the squad should stay together as much as possible with a few additions in the summer

This opinion could change again however

lol

How about you?

Owlstalk Shop

I think for the most part this team is good enough to challenge for the playoffs. If we can be very astute and acquire 2-3 really good players to improve certain positions then we could push on even more.

• Like 1

I keep reading here how bad our squad is etc, yet it finished in play offs twice running and finished last season in automatic form despite missing almost a full team of players that were out injured. 

It cant be that bad! 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I keep reading here how bad our squad is etc, yet it finished in play offs twice running and finished last season in automatic form despite missing almost a full team of players that were out injured. 

It cant be that bad! 

Yeah agreed

I guess the frustration is that this season has been so bonkers from a injury perspective and we've not seen them

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sometimes I think we're bonkers to have the same players at the club season in, season out, and sometimes I think it's a great idea to show loyalty both ways and try to build a team with a great understanding of each other.

My opinion sways

After seeing the Nuhiu video this morning I'm now of the opinion that the squad should stay together as much as possible with a few additions in the summer

lol

How about you?

I don't think we're far off what we need, and I wouldn't get rid of anyone

Most organisations who show continuous improvement make changes. In our case it looks like the chairman and manager are staying.

Many on here have commented about who they think aren't good enough for a promotion push.

Five or six names come to mind for me. I haven't included Abdi in that because I dont see him as a Wednesday player.

The spine of the squad has to stay if we are serious about challenging in the top half.

5 minutes ago, Archie irvine said:

I don't think we're far off what we need, and I wouldn't get rid of anyone

I agree that 70 - 80 % of the squad are good enough WHEN FIT , but we need to do our best to offload the likes of Palmer , Fox , Boyd and Jones.

• Like 1

its amazing how a 5-1 win makes people think everything is fine.  its not.

we need some better quality players than having to rely on certain B team individuals and crocks to hopefully come back and not be crocks another year.

I usually form an instant opinion on any new players and it takes a lot for me to alter that ......I rated westwood, FF, bannan , lees from day one and they havnt let me down .others like lee,wallace,hooper have won me over and some like van aken ,Rhodes ,fox,boyd still have a lot to do to convince me .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

My opinion sways

lol

How about you?

Well, if all the same players can manage to stay fit and not injured next season, it'll feel like a new team compared to this season:duntmatter:

The squad is okay but we are carrying a lot of deadwood (abdi, Matias, fletcher , Jones, Fox, etc) and players who are finished (lee and  Hutchinson) . None of these players will contribute during the coming season and they will hinder what we can do recruitment wise. 

I thimk we be a lot higher up the table, but unless we recruit wisely (and cheaply by the sound of things ) we will fall short 

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

It cant be that bad! 

True, it's been such a crazy season that at times (most of the time) it's been difficult to keep a sense of perspective, we aren't perfect by a long shot but, we do have a very good squad overall. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd still like to see a tackling left back added to the ranks. Esepcially if Jos is going to be playing different systems when required as he's intimated he'd like to next season.

thorniley or pudil can do that  role if he switches to a flat back 4 which I don't think he'll do too often ...

On individual players itcan change. Nuhiu is the obvious example if asked at begining of season should get new contract i would have said no but now delighted he did sign.

I think you should have consistency in team but bring in new faces each year. Think this keeps team fresh and stops team aging together and all require replacing at once. We have an old squad and definite need to reduce age as you can see end of career in sight for several of them. To survive change is essential but must be controlled and have a purpose.

28 minutes ago, torryowl said:

thorniley or pudil can do that  role if he switches to a flat back 4 which I don't think he'll do too often ...

I suspect that's who we'll see their Torry.  I just like to see full backs who hammer the tackle. And most importantly when playing a back 4- stop crosses. For me, even when he was younger Pudil never stopped enough crosses.

In fact Wednesday in general don't stop enough crosses. I think thats one of the reasons he's gone to a back 3. We don't stop crosses so might as well have an extra man in the centre to defend them when they inevitably come in.

I do like Jos. There is a clear and simple pragmatisim to what he does.