The championship will be ultra competitive next season

I think the current squad is capable of auto promotion, assuming we throw the negative tiptappie shyte out...as cc should have done. He could have been a contender but he foooked up tactically and was a stuborn foooker...so near yet so far.

1 hour ago, owl84 said:

Would you not want Darren Moore to stay?

We are weird place. Don't get me wrong I love Big Dave but he has a job for life with us at the academy. What he did was great in an Impossible situation. Does he fit what Giuliano Terraneo wants? I haven't got Scooby I imagine he has shortlist I can see us doing a Wo1ve5 and getting someone noone's heard of. Why hire Fenerbache's sporting director if the appointmet's coming from with in? I don't want Moore whose a genuine lovely guy get sacked if a few results go the wrong way. Mark Jenkins who is now Chairman after Williams demanded we hired English and got Pardew is ruthless I think he's looking two years to return

On 10/05/2018 at 11:57, fred mciver said:

This division's crap - see Hudders and Cardiff and Bolton's points total.

It just needs quality management - team and owners etc - like above or Wolves and you are up.

The 3 coming down more likely to do a Sunderland as they've also spent daft on players and momentum against them.  

we as a club have made something staggeringly difficult that 'uddersfield, and cardiff made look quite simple, and in cardiff's way it was simple straightforward championship football played to your strengths, whilst 'uddersfield did it with a dogmatic refusal to concede whilst pinching a goal.

i'm hoping that next season we will bring in effective loans, that will enable us to eek out good enough results by being tighter, until jos get the hang of championship football and we press on from there.

A consistent team playing to an effective pattern can do wonders in the Championship.

Carlos got timid this year, same is happening to him at Swansea,.

You have to stick with what works, unluckily due to the bad start and a raft of injuries, Wednesday hardly got the chance under Jos , by the time he came, it was simply firefighting.

I doubt there will be many additions this year, our form towards the end of the season was a sign we may not need many anyhow..IF players stay fit.

An organised West Brom side will be a tough proposition, they have shown how good they can be in the last few weeks..(Baggies and Wednesday going up would be some party!)

Stoke?..I can't see them doing a Sunderland.... and Swansea, if they keep Carlos is probably a nailed on draw.

Nuhiu is staying, hopefully Joao will.

Forestieri has more or less been under the radar due to missing so many games , so may have missed most teams shopping list.

Its going to be organisation as  much as players next season....Lets get f.ookin' organised!

Edited by asteener1867

Hard to say at this point before teams start reshaping their squads and before the play offs are sorted. But every year I fear that the Championship is going to be tougher the next year and usually expect the relegated sides to be strong. But last season showed that it can take some time for the relegated sides to rebuild and that it can be possible for teams that finished mid table or lower half the previous season to be up there the following season with astute signings, organisation and a effective hard to beat direct team. 

All three teams coming down could take time to rebuild and sort themselves out. I would imagine West Brom possibly being the stronger of the three. Actually I would have seen someone like Southampton with their academy or someone like Huddersfield who seemingly prepared for bouncing back, to have been a serious promotion candidate if they had been relegated. I think next season the stronger teams will be some of those that miss out in the play offs, depending upon who wins them and a few potential dark horses that missed out on the play offs or finished in the Lower half, teams like ourselves with a chance of improving next season. I would see the likes of Preston and Brentford being strong again along with the teams that fail in the play offs, and a few teams like Norwich; Bristol City, ourselves, Reading and Birmingham potentially improving? With the likes of Wigan potentially being dangerous too.

All in all that points to a wide open League again but not necessarily a tougher League. Speaking of ourselves and any other potential dark horses, I'd say looking at Cardiff, it shows what's possible if you're smart in the transfer market and a hard to beat effective direct team. And focusing on ourselves, I would say we can take some positivity and momentum into next season from our end of the season but next season we shouldn't have as much expectation or pressure on us, which could be a good thing.

The likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield would have been nobodies favourites before they went up. 

The Championship is a crazy division and there so few gimmes. 

Retain our key players, add some decent additions in the right areas, and we've got a chance. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Hard to say at this point before teams start reshaping their squads and before the play offs are sorted. But every year I fear that the Championship is going to be tougher the next year and usually expect the relegated sides to be strong. But last season showed that it can take some time for the relegated sides to rebuild and that it can be possible for teams that finished mid table or lower half the previous season to be up there the following season with astute signings, organisation and a effective hard to beat direct team. 

All three teams coming down could take time to rebuild and sort themselves out. I would imagine West Brom possibly being the stronger of the three. Actually I would have seen someone like Southampton with their academy or someone like Huddersfield who seemingly prepared for bouncing back, to have been a serious promotion candidate if they had been relegated. I think next season the stronger teams will be some of those that miss out in the play offs, depending upon who wins them and a few potential dark horses that missed out on the play offs or finished in the Lower half, teams like ourselves with a chance of improving next season. I would see the likes of Preston and Brentford being strong again along with the teams that fail in the play offs, and a few teams like Norwich; Bristol City, ourselves, Reading and Birmingham potentially improving? With the likes of Wigan potentially being dangerous too.

All in all that points to a wide open League again but not necessarily a tougher League. Speaking of ourselves and any other potential dark horses, I'd say looking at Cardiff, it shows what's possible if you're smart in the transfer market and a hard to beat effective direct team. And focusing on ourselves, I would say we can take some positivity and momentum into next season from our end of the season but next season we shouldn't have as much expectation or pressure on us, which could be a good thing.

There's a great phrase in that post that I am going to adapt slightly

' extremely fit, hard working, hard to beat and effective direct team' 

Thats the best chance of promotion out of this division and in truth the best chance of survival in the top flight. 

eg Sheffield Wednesday 1984

Edited by Geedee

None moreso than usual i'd say. I think the league will probably look a bit like this next season without too many surprises:

West Brom - 100pts
Middlesbrough - 90pts

-----------------
Fulham - 86pts
Wednesday - mid 70s
Bristol City
Derby County

------------------

Birmingham City
Leeds United
Millwall
Preston
Sheffield United
Brentford
Norwich City
Swansea
Stoke City
Ipswich
QPR
Forest
Hull City
Reading
Wigan

----------------
Blackburn
Bolton
Shrewsbury

Edited by TrueOwl

On 09/05/2018 at 09:38, vulva said:

That’s a myth created out of frustration from a poor season. Carlos will be getting the blame for the African famines next. 

Let you into a secret. Players don’t do anything they don’t want to. They hold all the power these days, and if Swansea came with say £12m for Reach, and offered him £10k a week extra, both would probably say yes. 

It would be a blow to lose either Reach or Bannan but with the exception of FF I think most of the team are replaceable if 12m bids came in. I think that kind of money could do us a lot of good on the FFP front moving forward.

3 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

None moreso than usual i'd say. I think the league will probably look a bit like this next season without too many surprises:

West Brom - 100pts
Middlesbrough - 90pts

-----------------
Fulham - 86pts
Wednesday - mid 70s
Bristol City
Derby County

------------------

Birmingham City
Leeds United
Millwall
Preston
Sheffield United
Brentford
Norwich City
Swansea
Stoke City
Ipswich
QPR
Forest
Hull City
Reading
Wigan

----------------
Blackburn
Bolton
Shrewsbury

I can't see us getting that many points. As I think the rebuild after pulis is too much for one Season therefore don't expect promotion. From the scuttlebutt on-line for the 12 hours We could be about to do over Brentford really badly

3 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

West Brom - 100pts
Middlesbrough - 90pts

-----------------
Fulham - 86pts
Wednesday - mid 70s
Bristol City
Derby County

------------------

Birmingham City
Leeds United
Millwall
Preston
Sheffield United
Brentford
Norwich City
Swansea
Stoke City
Ipswich
QPR
Forest
Hull City
Reading
Wigan

----------------
Blackburn
Bolton
Shrewsbury

You've got WBA, Leeds and the Pork at least 6 places above where they'll finish.  You're also about 15 points shy of our total.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baggiehy said:

I can't see us getting that many points. As I think the rebuild after pulis is too much for one Season therefore don't expect promotion. From the scuttlebutt on-line for the 12 hours We could be about to do over Brentford really badly

Dean Smith would be a bit of a gamble, I think you could do better.

I’d say it’s more the champ and bottom half of prem are getting really close in level. If you merged them I reckon wolves would have been up with Burnley, and slowly the rest of the playoff teams in and around Huddersfield. 

I don't think the gap between the Premier League and championship has narrowed...it has just been a freak year in the PL with 3 established teams (4 if you include Southampton) all under-performing. Just go back 12 months and both Middlesbrough and Hull suffered instant relegation.

I confidently predict Cardiff and Huddersfield will go down next year along with Derby or Boro if either get promoted. Villa and Fulham would just about survive while Wolves should finish about 10th-12th.

Promoted next season: 1 West Brom 2 Stoke 3 Villa or Norwich.

8 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

I don't think the gap between the Premier League and championship has narrowed...it has just been a freak year in the PL with 3 established teams (4 if you include Southampton) all under-performing. Just go back 12 months and both Middlesbrough and Hull suffered instant relegation.

I confidently predict Cardiff and Huddersfield will go down next year along with Derby or Boro if either get promoted. Villa and Fulham would just about survive while Wolves should finish about 10th-12th.

I'll have whatever your smoking fella.

If Villa don't go up this season then they will be in the mix to go up next season but West Brom, Stoke and Norwich your having a laugh.

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

I'll have whatever your smoking fella.

If Villa don't go up this season then they will be in the mix to go up next season but West Brom, Stoke and Norwich your having a laugh.

Agreed Villa will always be there or there abouts until they get promoted, from a Wednesday point of view it would be useful if they got promoted and out of the way this season 

10 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Interested why you think Norwich will be promoted, whats your reasoning if you don't mind me asking?