Yorkshire clubs - biggest to smallest

37 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I cant foresee the future but I can look back and historically the club as a rule have always lacked ambition from the various boards (we were always a selling club) ,sadly on the rare occasions that we have ambition from the top they havnt had the nous on how to achieve it . 

Sir, you and I have debated this point in the past.

But my point still stands.

That too many people are held back by History.

Looking to the future, there is a good chance that our club can, and hopefully will, get back amongst the top teams of English football.

It certainly won't be easy, but it is definitely possible.

Unlike some, I will never be happy with second division football !

Leeds are a bigger football Club than Sheffield Wednesday it's not just about all the city size bullshite blah,blah,blah, Leeds as much as I despise them have a much much bigger appeal than us not just nationally but probably worldwide, they have bigger operations than us commercially and seem to want it more clubwise.

Leeds are only much better known due to their European stuff and all the 60's - 70's stuff, we have plummeted fame wise to a big regional club rather than a big national club recognition and fanwise, fanwise as in attracting fans outside our home area.

I remember in the 90's meeting fans from all over the place, and NOT ex pat fans who had moved from Sheffield etc, fans with no prior Sheffield connections, fans that liked our club liked our football, i'm not saying we had millions and all that deluded crap, just we have decent numbers of them. 

3 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

Sir, you and I have debated this point in the past.

But my point still stands.

That too many people are held back by History.

Looking to the future, there is a good chance that our club can, and hopefully will, get back amongst the top teams of English football.

It certainly won't be easy, but it is definitely possible.

Unlike some, I will never be happy with second division football !

no reason whatsoever that we can't establish ourselves as a top 8 club but we need the right men at the top to do that ......not sure the bloke we have at present is the one to be able to pull it off ....he has the money and can certainly talk the talk but his lack of knowledge of  the football world and faith in his(what seem) trusted advisors doesn't bode well in achieving what you  hope for .  

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

What a Miserable and Negative post !

Why can't  Sheffield Wednesday achieve great things in the future ?

The fact that some supporters have this Negative attitude, acts as a Millstone round the club's neck !

No it’s true , we are no bigger than boro , derby, qpr, hull etc etc. Just an also ran In the second division . 

Id also suggest the imcrebily loyal supporters who pay more than any other to watch their very mediocre team is not the issue at the club 

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

We weren't charged for the Hillsborough disaster because  "Sheffield Wednesday Football club at the time as it now only exists on paper".

I'd give over with your argument.

While swfc has est 1867 on its badge,its a totally different thing to 10 year old leeds.

11 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

Don’t think anyone outside Sheffield would ever say Wednesday were bigger than Leeds United.

Leeds United had a spell in the early 70’s of being one of the best club sides in world football.

Also the potential support at Leeds puts them in the top 5 biggest clubs in England.

Leeds have supporters all around the country and plenty of supporters clubs in Europe.

Sky viewing figures show the audience is far bigger for Leeds matches than any other Chsmpuomship club.

However Leeds United were a nothing club before 1964

Before 1964 Wednesday were a much bigger club than Leeds United for many decades.

1st Leeds United

2nd Wednesday

3rd United

4th Middlesboro (United traditionally bigger but Boro are catching up)

5th Huddersfield (mainly based on winning 3 titles in the 20’s and many seasons in the top flight).

6th Barnsley

7th Hull City

8th Bradford (good potential support but spent most of their history in the bottom 2 divisions)

9th Doncaster (traditionally slightly bigger than Rotherham)

10th Rotherham 

I think that you are right. Leeds were at home over Easter playing a mid table team... can’t remember who, and they pulled in a crowd of 35,000 ...ten thousand more than us for a comparable match...

I dislike Leeds as much as the rest of you, but they’re a big club, marginally bigger than us.

I’ll be serious here

Top 12 Football Clubs In Yorkshire

Big Clubs

1. Leeds United

2. Sheffield Wednesday

3. Middlesbrough 

4. Sheffield United

Decent Sized Clubs

5. Huddersfield Town

6. Hull City

7. Bradford City

8. Barnsley