Yorkshire clubs - biggest to smallest

1 hour ago, Rebowl Yell said:

Jumbo Rex, more like Jumbo Tail, we are far bigger than dirty Leeds :picnic:

Wednesday fans would never admit it.. but it’s true.

anyone outside Sheffield would also agree. 

6 minutes ago, De Bilde said:

1. Leeds

2. SWFC

3. Pigs

4. Huddersfield

5. Bradford City

6. Hull City

7. Barnsley

8. Rotherham United

9. Doncaster Rovers

10. York City

Where the chuff is Darlington?

Do you hate the Darlo buddy? Were you attacked by Quakers as a child?

48 minutes ago, Rebowl Yell said:

I’ll be serious here

Top 12 Football Clubs In Yorkshire

Big Clubs

1. Leeds United

2. Sheffield Wednesday

3. Middlesbrough 

4. Sheffield United

Decent Sized Clubs

5. Huddersfield Town

6. Hull City

7. Bradford City

8. Barnsley 

Average Football League 1 Fodder

9. Rotherham United

10. Doncaster Rovers

Small Clubs

11. York City

11. Darlington

12. Halifax Town

The rest are irrelevant 

No disrespect to Darlington, but the fact that they are in County Durham, means that their inclusion in this thread is irrelevant. 

I would like to substitute  Frickley Athletic, in place of Darlington !

lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Just been having this conversation and was interested to see what others thought. As per the title, Yorkshire clubs in order from biggest club to smallest imo:

1. Wednesday

2. Leeds

3. Pigs

4. Bradford City

5. Huddersfield

6. Hull City

7. Barnsley

8. Doncaster Rovers

9. Rotherham United

10. York City

What do you think?

I really dont understand the rollocks behind this 'We're bigger than you'.......

what a load of tosh

TBH honest i couldnt give a flying flip what league we're in or what everyone else is doing..........Premier to Beazer Homes League......Wednesday will always be my team....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

In terms of titles - Wednesday win.

In terms of most years in top flight - Wednesday win.

In terms of all time average league attendance - Wednesday win.

In terms of all time average League Position - Wednesday win.

So I think that puts Leeds 1st.

There is no one metric for big club and as other have said it doesn't really matter.

But by and large most would apply a discount rate. Trophies won might be one measure of bigness but the plain fact is that since the year before Hitler's Olympics we have won one league cup. 

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

There is no one metric for big club and as other have said it doesn't really matter.

But by and large most would apply a discount rate. Trophies won might be one measure of bigness but the plain fact is that since the year before Hitler's Olympics we have won one league cup. 

Yet we still enjoy an higher average league position, Attendance and more seasons in the top flight. That shows a more consistent history, over 150 years, rather than just a good spell 50 years ago.

34 minutes ago, cross owl said:

1st Leeds United

2nd Wednesday

3rd Middlesboro

4th Dark side

5th Barnsley

6th Bradford

7th Hull City

8th Huddersfield

9th Doncaster

10th Rotherham

11th York

12th Darlington

Don’t make the same mistake I did matey, I’ve already been pulled up on it and I did check he’s right it’s in County Durham. I thought they were North Yorkshire for some reason. Might have to replace them with Northallerton Town or summat :picnic:

Edited by Rebowl Yell

15 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

At over £10 a ticket cheaper.

But you genrally get what you pay for.

Wednesday prospects, ambition and spending is much much higher than Uniteds, so you would expect crowds to be higher.

Also the average difference in pricing is not over £10.

United use their category A for nearly half the games, much more often than Wednesday.

The cat A prices at Bramall Lane are £32 on the Kop  to £36 on the South stand.

Edited by sheffsteel
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Yet we still enjoy an higher average league position, Attendance and more seasons in the top flight. That shows a more consistent history, over 150 years, rather than just a good spell 50 years ago.

According to European Football Statistics site, both those statements are wrong. We have a higher average league position of 19 to your 21 and a higher average attendance of 25,684 to your 20,990. So using your logic, LUFC have shown a more consistent history rather than just a good spell 85 years ago.

To be crowned Champions of England and have 9 top 5 finishes in the twelve years between 1990 -2002 would constitute a good spell as well you'd think. To get something near that consistency SWFC have to again, go back to the 1930's.

Biggest Yorkshire club before WWII SWFC

Biggest Yorkshire club since WWII LUFC

Edited by just visiting

4 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

But you genrally get what you pay for.

Wednesday prospects, ambition and spending is much much higher than Uniteds, so you would expect crowds to be higher.

Also the average difference in pricing is not over £10.

United use their category A for nearly half the games, much more often than Wednesday.

The cat A prices at Bramall Lane are £32 on the Kop  to £36 on the South stand.

Those CAT A prices would be considered cheap at Hillsborough, a random Tuesday night encounter with a midtable Southern team would set you back £33 on the Kop.

3 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Those CAT A prices would be considered cheap at Hillsborough, a random Tuesday night encounter with a midtable Southern team would set you back £33 on the Kop.

Fair enough,  must admit I didn’t think the high ticket strategy at Hillsboro would work but to date it’s been a success.

Personally for me the cut off is £30, just sounds a lot of money for a standard football match where entertainment is not gauranteed.

Edited by sheffsteel

20 minutes ago, just visiting said:

According to European Football Statistics site, both those statements are wrong. We have a higher average league position of 19 to your 21 and a higher average attendance of 25,684 to your 20,990. So using your logic, LUFC have shown a more consistent history rather than just a good spell 85 years ago.

To be crowned Champions of England and have 9 top 5 finishes in the twelve years between 1990 -2002 would constitute a good spell as well you'd think. To get something near that consistency SWFC have to again, go back to the 1930's.

Biggest Yorkshire club before WWII SWFC

Biggest Yorkshire club since WWII LUFC

What about since 2007? 

• Like 1