3. Sheffield United
  4. Barnsley
  5. Bradford City
  6. Huddersfield
  7. Rotherham
  8. Doncaster
  9. York
  10. Halifax

I don't really consider Hull part of Yorkshire personally but they'd probably be around Huddersfield area.

6 hours ago, roaminowl said:

Middlesbrough?

Some people really need to "bone up" on their Geography !

This is "GOD'S OWN COUNTY" we're talking about here.

No.1 Yorkshire anthem - Ilkley Moor baht 'at.

No.2 Yorkshire anthem - Capstick  comes home.

Got to go now, I've got the whippets to walk, and the pigeons to let out.

Still cold outside, but I'll be okay wi' me Flat cap and muffler on.

Up the Owls !

lol

6 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

lol lol lol lol lol  As if................... FFS. I'm outside Sheffield and I've always maintained The Wednesday are a bigger, better club. In fact, until calendar and look norf came along few people realised they had had to change their monicker from leeds city to united. And they've been in administration. And they're utter scum. lol 

Leeds City And Leeds United were two totally different clubs. No relation between the two at all.

Leeds are obviously the biggest club in Yorkshire. But they are no longer particularly special in the great scheme of things. The large chapters of non-Leeds based fan clubs - in Ireland, in the SW - will eventually die away

Why people care about these things so much is beyond me. We are not a particularly big club.  We are one of many that over the next two decades can expect to be either in the championship or a best fighting survival battles in the premier league.

27 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Why people care about these things so much is beyond me. We are not a particularly big club.  We are one of many that over the next two decades can expect to be either in the championship or a best fighting survival battles in the premier league.

What a Miserable and Negative post !

Why can't  Sheffield Wednesday achieve great things in the future ?

The fact that some supporters have this Negative attitude, acts as a Millstone round the club's neck !

7 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

It depends on definition of biggest club.

Can be fan base, potential fan base, biggest away support, stadium size, trophies won, seasons in the top flight, seasons in Europe, finances, biggest transfers, most supporters clubs, biggest tv audiences, biggest twitter and YouTube followers etc. Also reputation and perceived size makes a difference and of course weighting should be given towards more recent history.

Leeds United were big from 1965 to 1970, then they became massive from 71 to 76.

They were crap in the 80’s but big again in the 90’s and early 00’s.

Agree they’ve been crap again for the last 10 years

but id say reputation is based on living memory. So anything from about 1960 is still significant and meaningful.

In 20 years time Leeds United great team of the 70’s won’t mean much and they’ll need to create some new history to keep their reputation.

All irrelevant,"that" leeds doesn't exist.

The "2007" reformed leeds have done are are nothing.

6 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

The fact that some supporters have this Negative attitude, acts as a Millstone round the club's neck !

I cant foresee the future but I can look back and historically the club as a rule have always lacked ambition from the various boards (we were always a selling club) ,sadly on the rare occasions that we have ambition from the top they havnt had the nous on how to achieve it . 

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

Leeds are obviously the biggest club in Yorkshire. But they are no longer particularly special in the great scheme of things. The large chapters of non-Leeds based fan clubs - in Ireland, in the SW - will eventually die away

Like burnley 

I think a lot of people define what is a big club based on Wednesday had a good run in early 90's so must be bigger then clubs like Middlesbrough.

In last 20 years Middlesbrough for example have had many more years in the Top Division then Wednesday, won a cup and played in a European Final.

Probably has a lot more fan attending as well.

21 minutes ago, the monk said:

Like burnley 

Yes and another two dozen beside. Burnley I suspect may be more time limited because although historically a big club the climate that made that possible has disappeared. At some point an onfield crisis will come and whether they bounce back we shall see. 

49 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

Could you trace out for me how you see the causal relation between my view and our actual prospects actually working?

Mentioned before but a lot are leaving Middlesborough out and Hull.

Also, lots of tinpot clubs would claim higher status based on this or that. To be credible we need to agree on what makes a club big. I am sure it would be easy to argue for Leeds on some chosen criteria.

45 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

All irrelevant,"that" leeds doesn't exist.

The "2007" reformed leeds have done are are nothing.

We weren't charged for the Hillsborough disaster because  "Sheffield Wednesday Football club at the time as it now only exists on paper".

I'd give over with your argument.