Kieran Westwood

I think its disgraceful that a number of fans are writing him off and saying we should sell and play Wildsmith just because Wildsmith as had a decent season! Westwood is still number 1 for me although there is nothing wrong with having a great undesrtudy who can play all cup games and fill in when needed, keepers don't come in to there prime until late 20's so there is no rush!

Still our best GK for me. I like Wildsmith and think he has a bright future, but will be prone to dips in form as he develops. Competing for a shirt against an established GK like Westwood would push him on next season, more so than competing with Dawson perhaps.

Dawson too has done well, but a regular run of games would be beneficial for him on loan.

One thing is for sure, a part of the team where we look to have strength in depth if we can get Westwood fit, doesn't walk straight back into the team but his availability next season will certainly improve us.

Gets beaten too easily down low now as the agility is going. If he had that and could kick he'd have been a Prem keeper last couple of seasons.

Not sure Wildsmith and Dawson are ready but if a decent fee came in for Westwood we could even look at a seasons loan of a Prem Keeper as a no.1.

I think Westwood should be our no1 keeper for another season at least.  Although my biggest concern with his form is the drop in his distribution.  It was a massive plus when he first came to the club, IMO it's been poor in his more recent games.

28 minutes ago, ... said:

I think its disgraceful that a number of fans are writing him off and saying we should sell and play Wildsmith just because Wildsmith as had a decent season! Westwood is still number 1 for me although there is nothing wrong with having a great undesrtudy who can play all cup games and fill in when needed, keepers don't come in to there prime until late 20's so there is no rush!

Must be on borrowed time now then as he is 33 according to wikipedia.lol

Edited by oldtawnyowl

20 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm not sure many or even any are writing him off... more that we could afford to lose him. There's no doubting he's one of the best keepers in the Championship and he'd be first choice when fit (which as he points out is more often than not), but with our capable and promising understudies here it means selling Westwood shouldn't automatically be considered 'a bad decision'. Nor should it be assumed to be the 'best one' though!  

3 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

144 games in 4 seasons suggests otherwise

Missing on average 10 games a season isn't great for a keeper. But then again, it's still not awful. And as we keep harping on about, our backups are more than good enough for, say, a dozen games a season... so the shoe kind of fits. 

Decisions decisions... I'll be happy whatever the outcome... we're in safe hands... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm not sure many or even any are writing him off... more that we could afford to lose him. There's no doubting he's one of the best keepers in the Championship and he'd be first choice when fit (which as he points out is more often than not), but with our capable and promising understudies here it means selling Westwood shouldn't automatically be considered 'a bad decision'. Nor should it be assumed to be the 'best one' though!  

Maybe, but teams don't improve by selling players that would be in the first 11, no matter how good the back-ups are.

33 minutes ago, ... said:

Question for me is whether Wildsmith and Dawson would be happy next season being No2 & No3.They are the future after all and must be retained.

Good as Westwood is he has a transfer value that may well be needed, along with some other fan favourites, to dig the club out of the financial hole it got itself into.

Some hard decisions will soon have to be made to avoid profit and sustainability sanctions.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe, but teams don't improve by selling players that would be in the first 11, no matter how good the back-ups are.

They do if they reinvest the money in a way that enables them to improve elsewhere on the pitch.

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

They do if they reinvest the money in a way that enables them to improve elsewhere on the pitch.

One of our salable assets that we could replace with a decent player without having to bring someone in. That paired with age, history of contracts and my perceived wage he’d be on would see me selling Westwood IF and only if a good offer for him was received. 

Im sure he could get into many low prem / top championship teams once back to fitness. If he was available I’d be playing him to get him in shop window. 

Fantastic player, great servant too but some tough decisions are upon us this close season I think. 

16 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

By the sounds of things a P&S embargo is inevitable. 

Westwood may attract a fee that others wouldn't but in the grand scheme of things I doubt that would make a significant difference and there are a fair few players that need to be shipped out to save on wages ahead of him. Easier said than done with some of them but that's the job of those involved. Our transfer policy over the past two years suggests that improving by bringing players in is something we struggle with. 

I wouldn't look to move him on unless it was an absolute financial necessity.