Kieran Westwood

31 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

It's interesting you bring up our transfer policy, because I actually sort of agree with you to an extent. While our recruitment has been "eh", it's easy to forget that our no-selling policy has also contributed to our current position. Identifying and knowing when to sell is an important part of it, and as yet we haven't done so (apart from oddities like Rhoys Wiggins). You can easily make the argument because no time has been the right time to sell anyone, and that's totally fair enough... but I think we may be approaching that "right time". Westwood's contract expires at the end of next season, and say we're still a Championship club then and both Wildsmith and Dawson are still here and have improved as you'd expect them to... would you renew the 34 year old Westwood's contract? If not... maybe it's worth selling now and getting some money in when we can almost afford to let him go, rather than let his value depreciate to zero. 

Ultimately what you want to do comes down to "Could the money saved from Westwood go elsewhere effectively". That's where the first part of our transfer policy is the issue... recruitment. Under the previous regime, I would absolutely not trust it and would rather keep Kieren for another year... because we won't use the money well enough to compensate for losing one of the best keepers in this division. But I sort of trust Jos. Don't have a lot to go on with that, but if £400k Joey Pelupessy is anything to go by (given time), then he certainly seems to be the sort of guy that can maximise the resources available to him. I'd be very interested to see what sort of player Jos could bring in if given a Kieren Westwood sized budget. 

Fair post, I suppose it depends what would be deemed a decent transfer fee, given that as you say his contract is up at the end of next season. If that is the case then this summer is the only time we can sell him unless he signs a new contract as his value will be next to nil by January as clubs will wait until the following summer.

The length of his contract is a big factor. I would be tempted to offer him another year this summer providing he proves he is ft to start next season, but not on improved terms. If this is not of interest to him then it could be time to move on.

12 minutes ago, torres said:

He has been brilliant for us  - but towards the back end of last season he was slowly making more and more errors, he carried that form into this season.

The back end of last season resulted in us winning 6 in a row prior to him sitting out the Fulham game and we didn't concede more than 1 in any of them. He was then solid in the play-offs as our lesser opponents attacked far more than we did.

This season he did make a few mistakes early on but plenty of our players were doing the same and as with many of his team mates he wasn't fully fit.

Unfortunately Westwood just another victim of the Carlos regime and now struggling with his fitness like many more of our players for whatever reason that is so annoying to us who pay good money to watch our team week in week out.

Wrong to write him off and would still get in any other championship side.

That said tough decisions have to be made at the end of the season as we can't have another season like this one and the team needs freshening up with win hungry players. I am not sure Westwood fits that bill now.

If a good offer comes in during this summer like it did last, I'd consider it. I definitely wouldn't be actively trying to sell him though! In an ideal world I'd keep him as number 1 with Dawson as number 2 and let Wildsmith have a season out on loan. Would be a waste to have Wildsmith as an understudy with almost 50 appearances under his belt.

I love how a lot of people are thinking that selling Westwood for millions is a simple formality. 

He’s made 18 appearances and in some of those games he’s made mistakes. He’s not played for a substantial amount of time due to injuries and is available for free next season. He’s hardly going to be the number one transfer target for all managers as some are making out and those who are interested will more than likely be trying to pick him up on the cheap because of the aforementioned reasons. 

I’d stick with him personally as his value to us - when in form - will

probably be worth much more than any price offered in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Vic Flange said:

Unfortunately Westwood just another victim of the Carlos regime and now struggling with his fitness like many more of our players for whatever reason that is so annoying to us who pay good money to watch our team week in week out.

That said tough decisions have to be made at the end of the season as we can't have another season like this one and the team needs freshening up with win hungry players. I am not sure Westwood fits that bill now.

Not strictly true.

Agree with the Carlos regime comment but Kieron has a history of injury and a factor of Sunderland letting him go.

12 minutes ago, Vic Flange said:

Tweet him tell him you don't think he is hungry enough to play for us anymore. See what he says to you.

lol

2 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

A fit KW is still the best keeper at the club and probably in the Championship. Instrumental in a back 5 that was once one of the meanest in the league and a record number of clean sheets. What’s not to be positive about him. Hope he returns soon and presses for a starting place.

Agree, even if he misses 10 games a season.

Great keeper for the others to learn from and keep them on their toes to challenge for a place.