Kieran Westwood

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Likes too many Saturdays off. Cash in.

Given our home record on Saturday's this season I wish all the team could have Saturday's off! :ghoulguy:

45 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Gets beaten too easily down low now as the agility is going. If he had that and could kick he'd have been a Prem keeper last couple of seasons.

Not sure Wildsmith and Dawson are ready but if a decent fee came in for Westwood we could even look at a seasons loan of a Prem Keeper as a no.1.

I think that might have been because of an injury he had...

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

By the sounds of things a P&S embargo is inevitable. 

Westwood may attract a fee that others wouldn't but in the grand scheme of things I doubt that would make a significant difference and there are a fair few players that need to be shipped out to save on wages ahead of him. Easier said than done with some of them but that's the job of those involved. Our transfer policy over the past two years suggests that improving by bringing players in is something we struggle with. 

I wouldn't look to move him on unless it was an absolute financial necessity.  

It's interesting you bring up our transfer policy, because I actually sort of agree with you to an extent. While our recruitment has been "eh", it's easy to forget that our no-selling policy has also contributed to our current position. Identifying and knowing when to sell is an important part of it, and as yet we haven't done so (apart from oddities like Rhoys Wiggins). You can easily make the argument because no time has been the right time to sell anyone, and that's totally fair enough... but I think we may be approaching that "right time". Westwood's contract expires at the end of next season, and say we're still a Championship club then and both Wildsmith and Dawson are still here and have improved as you'd expect them to... would you renew the 34 year old Westwood's contract? If not... maybe it's worth selling now and getting some money in when we can almost afford to let him go, rather than let his value depreciate to zero. 

Ultimately what you want to do comes down to "Could the money saved from Westwood go elsewhere effectively". That's where the first part of our transfer policy is the issue... recruitment. Under the previous regime, I would absolutely not trust it and would rather keep Kieren for another year... because we won't use the money well enough to compensate for losing one of the best keepers in this division. But I sort of trust Jos. Don't have a lot to go on with that, but if £400k Joey Pelupessy is anything to go by (given time), then he certainly seems to be the sort of guy that can maximise the resources available to him. I'd be very interested to see what sort of player Jos could bring in if given a Kieren Westwood sized budget. 

Edited by StudentOwl

6 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

No hes not! Bang average this season when he was in side

He was bang average, because he’s always carrying niggles and now he’s getting on they are catching up with him . Has been fantastic , but unlike most wednesday fans the club needs to stop living in the past. His wage is massive and we have two decent keepers already on the books 

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He was bang average, because he’s always carrying niggles and now he’s getting on they are catching up with him . Has been fantastic , but unlike most wednesday fans the club needs to stop living in the past. His wage is massive and we have two decent keepers already on the books 

How much is westwood on a week  ?

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I’m guessing you are making the point I don’t know his wage is massive. Correct I don’t know the figure , but as an educated guess he’s one of the highest earners and is on the decline 

Im not making any point mate .i not a clue what any of em on to honest

Here are Westwood's appearances for the 4 seasons he's been at the club. Only including League, because Carlos liked to play Wildsmith in cup competitions rather than Westwood not due to injury. 

2014/15- 44 appearances. Missed 2 matches, one due to suspension and the other was the last game of the season against Watford.

2015/16- 37 appearances which includes the Play Offs. Missed 12 games due to injury. Missed 5 games around September time and missed 5 games over Christmas in a row. 

2016/17- 45 appearances including Play Offs. Missed 3 games due to injury.

2017/18- 18 appearances. Missed the 3 games after the Derby defeat and then returned. But has not been available since 15th December.

To me his injury record for this season and the 15/16 campaign for a keeper is pretty poor. I'd like to compare that to other number 1s in the Championship. However last season and in his first season here he was pretty much ever present.

Personally if we could get a fee for him I'd sell and use that money to strengthen elsewhere. Particularly if we need to start balancing the books in the summer.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Me either I guess none of us really do. For me he’d be an obvious choice to move on with the issues we have re ffp

Fair point we got decent cover for him .prob get a couple of million .

30 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

By the sounds of things a P&S embargo is inevitable.

I wouldn't look to move him on unless it was an absolute financial necessity.  

I think you may have struck upon the main reason to move him on.

I see the sense of both arguments.

A ex work colleague is a Sunderland season ticket holder and when we signed him he said 'he'll do you a great job but he's injury prone'.

So, yes he's one of the top keepers in the league and it would be good for him to carry on for another couple of seasons and bring the younger keepers on, as I personally don't think they're currently ready for full time rolls BUT on the other hand, at 34 do we get some cash in for him now while we can.

Tough one to call.

Time will tell.

53 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

One of our salable assets that we could replace with a decent player without having to bring someone in. That paired with age, history of contracts and my perceived wage he’d be on would see me selling Westwood IF and only if a good offer for him was received. 

Im sure he could get into many low prem / top championship teams once back to fitness. If he was available I’d be playing him to get him in shop window. 

Fantastic player, great servant too but some tough decisions are upon us this close season I think. 

Maybe one of the tough decisions Jos was hinting at.

He is the best goal keeper we have, he has been brilliant, but I don't see him as significantly better than Wildsmith any more. So IF we have to sell someone to pass ffp, why not sell someone we wont notice as much?

11 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I think you may have struck upon the main reason to move him on.

In terms of what though? Judging by what has been said an embargo is inevitable and the fee that Westwood could currently attract would not impact that.