Bolton Wanderers eyeing up Jordan Rhodes

52 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If we have a fully fit front line (plus Winnall) I'd let Rhodes go until Jan. Hopefully come back with a few goals and some confidence.

But I'd rather we bought a decent winger with pace to give Rhodes better service.

Rhodes could get service from DeBruyner Hazard and Messi and still be w@nk!

• Haha 1

Rhodes to Bolton? Yes, particularly if they go down He’d be a revelation in League One Everyone thinks I’m anti Rhodes, well I’m not, it’s just that he doesn’t have the attributes to be a success at this level, despite what some of our, stuck in the past fans, think 

Edited by gurujuan

I work with some Bolton fans and they reckon they’ve got a £4K a week wage cap so there ain’t no way they’re signing Rhodes on 40k + a week, unless it’s a loan and we pay 36k of his wage!!

sounds like a deal we’d make though!!!

1 hour ago, ElsecarOwl said:

Tend to agree a little.

You don't become a poor striker overnight, given his past record.

Maybe we don't compliment his type of football and his confidence is obviously shot at the moment.

BUT maybe it's time to move on and put it all behind him.

His stats goals per game

Hudds 65%

Blackburn 54%

Middlesboro 24%

SWFC last season 16%

SWFC this season 14%

He's become a poor striker over the past three seasons.

I still hope he does come good but I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he has a future as a top striker at Championship level over the past two seasons. Thats either as an out and out goalscorer or in general play where he is easily the most ineffective player in the squad.

Not sure this is accurate, but considering this and the rumours we were prepared to let him leave in the last transfer window clear that his agent/or DC are looking at options for him to leave.

Shame, think he is a real team player and proven goalscorer, but for whatever reason hasn't happened for him here (or Middlesbrough to a certain extent). Big wage off the books though from a FFP perspective if it happens.

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

According to the OP he might do :ph34r:

Seriously though unless we drastically change how we play it may be the best thing for him to go somewhere that plays more to his strengths.

What are his strengths?

In the last home game I counted ten crosses in the first half, I reckoned three were very good, four were in the decent range, and three were crap and he was nowhere near any of them, although he did provide one excellent cross himself.

I saw first time through balls played to him twice, once when he was playing on the shoulder and one when he had a yard or so on the defender and he was out paced on both occasions. More worryingly, and I was surprised that no one else picked up on this, was at one point I actually saw Reach look up and see that Rhodes was in a bit of space but refused the easy through pass. I was convinced Reach thought 'fukk it, there's no way he will beat the defender to it' 

So if he's not getting on the end of crosses or through balls, what else can we do? I can only think of playing him off a target man and hoping that he can get the knock downs. If that was the case then wouldn't he be behind Hooper, FF and Joao as they all offer so much more?

2 hours ago, notts0wl said:

I fail to see the link between form and managers nationality :/

Say we appointed someone like McCarthy, I think he would set us up to get the best out of him because he's more aware of what he's capable of. Rhodes last three managers, Karanka, Carvalhal and Lukuhay have all failed to get the best out of him because they were not totally aware of how to play to his strengths. Still fail to see the link?:rolleyes:

Edited by Great Big Galaa